Physicists observe negative mass *Updated*

arbellason55

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39642992

https://news.wsu.edu/2017/04/10/negative-mass-created-at-wsu/

Hypothetically, matter can have negative mass in the same sense that an electric charge can be either negative or positive. People rarely think in these terms, and our everyday world sees only the positive aspects of Isaac Newton’s Second Law of Motion, in which a force is equal to the mass of an object times its acceleration, or F=ma.

Conditions for negative mass

He and his colleagues created the conditions for negative mass by cooling rubidium atoms to just a hair above absolute zero, creating what is known as a Bose-Einstein condensate. In this state, predicted by Satyendra Nath Bose and Albert Einstein, particles move extremely slowly and, following the principles of quantum mechanics, behave like waves. They also synchronize and move in unison as what is known as a superfluid, which flows without losing energy.

Led by Peter Engels, WSU professor of physics and astronomy, researchers on the sixth floor of Webster Hall created these conditions by using lasers to slow the particles, making them colder, and allowing hot, high energy particles to escape like steam, cooling the material further.

The lasers trapped the atoms as if they were in a bowl measuring less than a hundred microns across. At this point, the rubidium superfluid has regular mass. Breaking the bowl will allow the rubidium to rush out, expanding as the rubidium in the center pushes outward.

To create negative mass, the researchers applied a second set of lasers that kicked the atoms back and forth and changed the way they spin. Now when the rubidium rushes out fast enough, if behaves as if it has negative mass.

So Washington State University physicists have created a superfluid out of rubidium atoms which satisfies the conditions for negative mass. Apparently the process has been done before in lab conditions but given the complexity of the procedure it is not done very often. So basically what makes this fluid unique is that it has a negative mass which does the opposite of certain things that an object with normal mass would do. For instance instead of the fluid moving with the direction of a force applied to it it moves towards the source of the force. It also has the trait of not losing energy while it flows unlike any other fluid with a normal mass. What makes this attempt special is that they currently have control over the substance which makes it possible for them to actually conduct experiments and research on negative mass which has never really been possible before. This research may shed further light on the true nature of things like dark energy, black holes and neutron stars. I personally think this is really cool but I have no clue what applications this might have. One application I have a theory on is that a battery made out of said fluid might be useful as it does not loose energy while moving so perhaps it would be a good way to store energy? 

*UPDATE*

https://www.sciencealert.com/physicists-say-they-ve-created-a-fluid-with-negative-mass 

So after some further reading it turns out they did not actually create a fluid with negative mass but rather made fluid rubidium act as though it had a negative mass which doesn't precisely prove that elements exist naturally with such a mass but that it is highly possible. It is still quite a feat to get it to act as though it has a negative mass however. Experiments to further explore this unique state are still possible with this procedure and may help with the discovery of matter that does have a natural negative mass.

Edited by arbellason55

System

Case- Thermaltake Core V21 / CPU - i7 4790 / GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070 / Mobo - Gigabyte Z97 mx / Ram - 4x4 gb GSkill Sniper DDR3 1866 / Storage - 2x WD Black 1tb drives, 1x 120gb OCZ SSD / Cooler - Cooler Master TX3 / PSU - EVGA G2 650w / Audio - Sennheiser PC 350 SE / Monitor - Asus 1920X1080 @60hz / Keyboard & Mouse - Cooler Master Devastator II / OS - Windows 10 Enterprise

WORMHOLES FTW!

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

I've never played the game but isn't Mass Effect's whole thing with long distance space travel use negative mass?

System

Case- Thermaltake Core V21 / CPU - i7 4790 / GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070 / Mobo - Gigabyte Z97 mx / Ram - 4x4 gb GSkill Sniper DDR3 1866 / Storage - 2x WD Black 1tb drives, 1x 120gb OCZ SSD / Cooler - Cooler Master TX3 / PSU - EVGA G2 650w / Audio - Sennheiser PC 350 SE / Monitor - Asus 1920X1080 @60hz / Keyboard & Mouse - Cooler Master Devastator II / OS - Windows 10 Enterprise

9 minutes ago, arbellason55 said:

I've never played the game but isn't Mass Effect's whole thing with long distance space travel use negative mass?

A lot of science fiction (and actual general relativity) relies on negative mass-energy for a warp drive to be possible.

Just now, othertomperson said:

A lot of science fiction (and actual general relativity) relies on negative mass-energy for a warp drive to be possible.

Perhaps now we can find out if any of it is actually possible. (hopes it is)

System

well the fluid doesn't slow like say water, it could maybe used in power generation? 

1 minute ago, othertomperson said:

even with negative it is still only theoretical that we can even bend space time. 

I mean as you approach a blackhole space time bends to where you can no longer move forward in time, so we think.

There is no way to know if spacetime would recover from it. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

16 minutes ago, arbellason55 said:

More wormholes, you have to use negative mass to create them/keep them open. At least, that's one theory.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

1 minute ago, sazrocks said:

More wormholes, you have to use negative mass to create them/keep them open.

Wormholes would be cool. (potential Stargate hype intensifies) 

System

I almost dont to believe this. Holy shit.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

I am going to take a wild guess and say we have some potentially fun times ahead of us, 5-10 years before we get something really big from this?

System

22 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

well the fluid doesn't slow like say water, it could maybe used in power generation? 

even with negative it is still only theoretical that we can even bend space time. 

I mean as you approach a blackhole space time bends to where you can no longer move forward in time, so we think.

There is no way to know if spacetime would recover from it. 

...next you'll be telling me Asari aren't real :o 

I wonder what it would do in a vacuum environment.

System

2 hours ago, WereCat said:

If you push it and it goes towards you, does it go away from you when you pull it?

there is no way to pull a liquid without actually pushing from the other side.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

5 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

there is no way to pull a liquid without actually pushing from the other side.

Hmmm, when I think about it...you are right.

Err, so if F=ma, does pushing the liquid pull it closer to you?

Or did my narrow minded physics teachers neglected to account for negative mass and the equation is actually F=|m|a ?

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

How does cooling them then shooting them with a laser make them colder?

Heat is movement of particles. Since lasers are burst of photons, and photons have mass-equivelency, they can apply a force to an object upon collision, causing that object to slow and thus reducing the heat of a substance.

Laser cooling is that basis of most applications that rely on temperatures near absolute 0.

17 minutes ago, Granular said:

Err, so if F=ma, does pushing the liquid pull it closer to you?

Or did my narrow minded physics teachers neglected to account for negative mass and the equation is actually F=|m|a ?

F=ma is correct. If m is negative, F would have the opposite direction of the acceleration. 

So could this be the way we will be able to bring blackholes closer to us instead of them bringing us closer to them?

Groomlake Authority

GREAT SCOTT!

They've found my research. I don't know how, but they found it!

QUICK MARTY, WE'VE GOT TO GO BACK AND HIDE EVERYTHING!

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220