QNAP revealed their 10GbE switch, and held a public testing program in Taiwan

snowComet

QNAP, the famous NAS manufacturer, has just revealed their first network switch. Their first switch is called "QSW-1208-8C", a 12-port-10GbE unmanaged switch. It has 4 SFP+ 10GbE port, and 8 mixed ports, which consist of 8 SFP+ ports and 8 10GBase-T RJ45 port. You can use either the SFP+ or RJ45 port, but not at the same time for those 8 ports (Remember this is a 12 ports (8 mixed ports+4 SFP+ ports) switch!). It also come with a low noise design, nicely-crafted chassis, and a switching capacity up to 240Gbps.

image_02.png

Pricing and release date is still unknown at this moment, but QNAP is launching a public testing program for this switch in Taiwan, which you could apply, and buy the switch for NT$8800 (~$290) if you attend a 10GbE event held by QNAP in Taipei on 3rd May. In that event, QNAP will be showcasing their 10GbE solutions and accessories in different environment. Noted that this public testing only takes 100 people, and pricing may be higher than NT$8800 when it officially launch. No words on whether this public  testing program will launch elsewhere in the world.

The 10GbE event page is in Chinese, but a reddit user "dunkurs1987" translated the portion about "QSW-1208-8C" in English.

Qnap Switch

Join the 10GbE Switch - QSW-1208-8C mass test program

Participants who will participate in the "2017 QNAP Forward Program" will be eligible to participate in the QSW-1208-8C Mass Test Program. QSW-1208-8C is QNAP's first 10GbE 12-port standard network switch (Unmanaged Switch), supports up to 240Gbps switching capacity, including up to 8 ports mixed port (SFP + and RJ45), plug and play to meet the high-speed Network resilient deployment needs. Ingenious appearance, low noise design and affordable prices, suitable for corporate offices can also be integrated into the home environment. Participate in the public test plan guests, that can be ultra-low price will QSW-1208-8C back to use.

QSW-1208-8C mass test program:
Public Price : NT 8,800 (tax included)
Number of activities measured limit: 100 units
QSW-1208-8C provided by this activity, all enjoy 5 years warranty, and 30 days trial period free return
Welcome to participate in the public test program guests, will use the proposal after the letter to pm@qnap.com

Action code 0503, the whole station to buy TS-x53B, to create 10GbE home environment is not a dream Event time: May 3, 2017, 12:30 start admission
Venue: Taipei International Convention Center (TICC) 1st Floor - 101CD Meeting Room (No. 1, Xinyi Road, Xinyi District, Taipei)

QNAP has been pushing advanced features, like VM, 10GbE, and SSD Caching for a long time. Making this 10GbE switch is a step to complete their 10G product line.  As 10G switches is now getting cheaper and cheaper (for example Buffalo recently released 2 10GbE switches, which could also run 2.5G and 5G, for ~$880 (12 ports) and ~$570 (8 ports)), upgrading to 10G is getting cheaper and cheaper. Also I like the mixed port design, which you need not to choose between going SFP/SFP+ or RJ45. It could potentially saving money upgrading network adapters and cables. On spec the switch looks great, and I hope their switches in the future will follow this mixed ports design, with more and more ports.

https://www.qnap.com/static/landing/2017/10gbe-ready-event-0503/index.html (in Chinese)

*update on 26/04/2017: an iperf test of this switch was ran and filmed (probably a pre-production unit)....

6 minutes ago, snowComet said:

with ingeniously crafted chassis

what makes it any better than a normal switch chassis?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

what makes it any better than a normal switch chassis?

I use their own words on the event page... 

maybe I should change it a bit?

Just now, snowComet said:

Well, having the same text twice in a post seems a bit redundant. but IDK.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 minute ago, snowComet said:

Outside of the quotes, the summary should be in your own words, and at some point you need to say what your opinion of this news is.

Also, please remove the formatting from your quote section. It is unreadable for anyone using the night theme

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Just now, brwainer said:

Outside of the quotes, the summary should be in your own words, and at some point you need to say what your opinion of this news is.

Also, please remove the formatting from your quote section. It is unreadable for anyone using the night theme

ok, I'm changing it...

48 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Hmm very reasonable price, just not sure if I want an unmanaged switch though.

Agreed, especially if you have to start troubleshooting SFPs.

I don't get the point of this product really.

10Gbps - Great for enterprise. Will be great for home users (the market isn't there yet, but you got to start somewhere right?)

SFP ports - Terrible for home users.

Unmanaged - Terrible for enterprise.

It seems like some weird mismatch between an enterprise product and a consumer product, which in the end doesn't look very appealing to anybody.

I would honestly like to see more focus on the 2.5Gbps and 5Gbps standard. 10Gbps is complete overkill for home users, and I don't see the price of that coming down lower than what prices of the far more reasonable 2.5Gbps and 5Gbps can go.

How many RJ45 ports does the 8 port model have?

16 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

10Gbps - Great for enterprise. Will be great for home users (the market isn't there yet, but you got to start somewhere right?)

It seems like some weird mismatch between an enterprise product and a consumer product, which in the end doesn't look very appealing to anybody.

I would honestly like to see more focus on the 2.5Gbps and 5Gbps standard. 10Gbps is complete overkill for home users, and I don't see the price of that coming down lower than what prices of the far more reasonable 2.5Gbps and 5Gbps can go.

How many RJ45 ports does the 8 port model have?

u mean the Buffalo one? All 10GbE ports are RJ45 on that one....

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/10-gigabit-ethernet-switch

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/en/products/networking/switches/bs-xpseries/bs-mp2008/

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/buffalo-europe-announces-series-of-unmanaged-10gbe-network-switches.html

As for the mixed ports of RJ45 & SFP+, maybe QNAP took this approach because some of their older NASes only have SFP+/SFP ports, like the TS-1635?

3 minutes ago, snowComet said:

Never actually heard of Buffalo before, not properly anyway as I do sorta recognize the logo. Doesn't seem like a brand I'd be willing to buy though.

1 minute ago, snowComet said:

u mean the Buffalo one? All 10GbE ports are RJ45 on that one....

No I meant the Qnap one, but then realized there was no 8 port model.

The 8 is probably for the 8 combo ports.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

No I meant the Qnap one, but then realized there was no 8 port model.

The 8 is probably for the 8 combo ports.

I may need to change my description a bit to clear up the potential confusion....

13 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Never actually heard of Buffalo before, not properly anyway as I do sorta recognize the logo. Doesn't seem like a brand I'd be willing to buy though.

U may never heard of them in NZ, but Buffalo is big in Japan and some of Asian countries. Linus has un-boxed some routers from them in the past...

24 minutes ago, snowComet said:

U may never heard of them in NZ, but Buffalo is big in Japan and some of Asian countries. Linus has un-boxed some routers from them in the past...

When it comes to switches I am a bit of a snob elitist though, lowest I'd go would be Allied Telesis. I won't even buy Ubiquiti switches, happy to buy their APs and I do have an ERLite-3 but I'd say that's merely fine but unexceptional (to be expected for the price). The other end of the tunnel with that ERLite-3 is a FortiGate 60D which sure isn't the same kind of product but I do wish I just got another one of those instead of the ERLite, but being rather costly and this being for home the ERLite was the more responsible purchase.

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

IIRC Buffalo was one of the first into the SOHO NAS market. They also dabbled in DAS external hard drives. But the main product of theirs I have seen is routers, it tends to be the brand that foreign students bring with them to our apartments. I don't have any more or less complainta of them than other common home router brands

I like the price but I would rather see a 4-8 10Gb ports and 12-24 1Gb ports.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

20 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I can see why they've put SFP+ as a number of their products ship with 10Gig enabled but only via SFP+ - why bother buying a matching QNAP switch if you then couldn't use the existing 10Gig port on your QNAP NAS and had to buy another AIC. 

A tech site at Taiwan called "NAS World" was able to obtain the switch, and filmed a iperf test .

IMG20170426173559.jpg

This probably is a pre-production unit, as it was mentioned in the article that the retail unit will be in black, not white..

https://nas.world/43-全民 10gbe-來了-qsw-1208-8c-封測包.html (in Chinese)

• 7 months later...
On 4/19/2017 at 2:02 AM, LAwLz said:

Most of my high speed stuff is in one location I'm fine with SFP+ at a centralized location.  Actually I use it now with 2 machines connected to each other but would love to add a NAS into the mix.  

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Good morning/afternoon/evening chaps!

I just stumbled across this old thread (checking in on the updates on the QSW-1208-8C) and I pleased to confirm that this switch is REAL, it is being released soon and SPAN will have it in stock in around a  week (not a vast number of stock... not a sales tactic, just a few in stock and back orders and pre-orders to fill).

here is my shameless bit of self-promotion...

Unboxing Video - 

NASCompares article covering what it can do, what it cannot and dismantling the device - https://nascompares.com/2018/04/12/unboxing-the-qsw-1208-8c-qnap-10gbe-switch-its-finally-here/

inside the QNAP QSW-1208-8C.jpg

can't wait for 10gbit to be as cheap as gigabit is now...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1