Microsoft rewarding people that use edge

I was in my car and I heard a random add saying that Microsoft are now rewarding people that use Microsoft edge and bing by giving them free things from the windows store. Is this true? And if this is then Microsoft is getting really desperate.

They've doing that kind of thing from the get go. Discounts and coupons for any MS partner site and their store.

If Google's products weren't "free," they would probably do it too.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, thegoogler said:

I was in my car and I heard a random add saying that Microsoft are now rewarding people that use Microsoft edge and bing by giving them free things from the windows store. Is this true? And if this is then Microsoft is getting really desperate.

I've seen a few news articles on this, (even mentioned during the WAN show a few times), but yeah. MS is pretty desperate for people to use Edge.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

LOL nothing beats chrome

First PC Build

CPU: i5 4690k  (4.7Ghz 1.36v)                                        MOBO: MSI z97 gaming 5

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 gaming x                  Case: NZXT s340 elite Black/Red

Storage: 1tb seagate SSHD, 240gb PNY ssd                    PSU: Corsair RM750X

Cooling:H100i V2 / Bequiet Fans

16GB Hyper X Fury Memory

Benched on CPUZ (Single-thread=2140) (Multi-Thread=8316)

Fire Strike 1.1=13660

Time Spy=5519

Cinebench R15 (CPU= 509cb) (OpenGL=118.28 FPS)

Unigine (Superposition 4k optimized=5581) (Heaven Extreme=120.6 FPS Score:3038) (Valley Extreme HD= 92.7 FPS Score:3879)

Just now, jet224presents said:

LOL nothing beats chrome

*Vivaldi

Regular chrome is garbo.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

4 minutes ago, bob51zhang said:

I've seen a few news articles on this, (even mentioned during the WAN show a few times), but yeah. MS is pretty desperate for people to use Edge.

they should make edge into a decent browser 

I have had several issues with edge. Very slow loading times. 

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

Be careful! They'll toss SEVERAL offers at you to get you to use them, although I don't really know what the higher prizes may be as I haven't checked. But yes, they give you points for using Edge (there's a daily limit), searching with Bing and for several other things including but not limited to purchases you have and so on. In order to further convince you to keep using or buying from them, they'll tell you that you need to basically earn points before you get close to sticking to your current points "level" (yeah, you level up, pretty silly if you ask me).

21 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

*Vivaldi

Regular chrome is garbo.

Fully agree.

Even though I still have some random ass issues with Vivaldi, like unable to save any change in my router's settings because somehow the Apply/Save buttons do fuck all with Vivaldi but work just fine in Chrome... Even tried on a clean install of Vivaldi, to see if I had screwed up something, nope...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

8 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Fully agree.

Even though I still have some random ass issues with Vivaldi, like unable to save any change in my router's settings because somehow the Apply/Save buttons do fuck all with Vivaldi but work just fine in Chrome... Even tried on a clean install of Vivaldi, to see if I had screwed up something, nope...

I use Yandex browser.

Sometimes.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

39 minutes ago, thegoogler said:

Which is ludicrous. In fact, if you have set any third party browser as your default in W10 anniversary update and later upgrade to Creators Update, it will reset your default browser to Edge. It's basically bribery in my opinion. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Every browser has issues, doubly so for IE and edge

2 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

upgrade to Creators Update, it will reset your default browser to Edge

this didn't happen to me, it did scrub file associations though 

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

42 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

So you mean Microsoft should buy Mozilla and ruin it after 2 updates? :P

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 hour ago, bob51zhang said:

Holy crap someone made a gif version.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

*Vivaldi

Regular chrome is garbo.

support ios and ill jump onto the Vivaldi bandwagon :P 

1 hour ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

I have had several issues with edge. Very slow loading times. 

ram leaks for me using edge.

for ltt, it ram leans chrome and edge.. :/ 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 hour ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

*Vivaldi

Regular chrome is garbo.

i would use Vivaldi, but i rely on Chrome sync heavily. yes yes i give my info to the google overlords, but i like to sync with my phone 

and honestly even Vivaldi can be clunky at times. 

6 minutes ago, themctipers said:

support ios and ill jump onto the Vivaldi bandwagon :P

It's not even on Android though I tend to use Opera Mini on my phone.

3 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

i would use Vivaldi, but i rely on Chrome sync heavily. yes yes i give my info to the google overlords, but i like to sync with my phone 

and honestly even Vivaldi can be clunky at times. 

I don't really use my phone heavily enough for that to bug me since I tend to have my laptop with me.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Is this a rollover of bing rewards? And are they still giving out gift cards for points?

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

They've doing that kind of thing from the get go. Discounts and coupons for any MS partner site and their store.

If Google's products weren't "free," they would probably do it too.

Google does this with their google opinion rewards. Doesn't happen as frequently as it used to though. 

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

39 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

Is this a rollover of bing rewards? And are they still giving out gift cards for points?

Google does this with their google opinion rewards. Doesn't happen as frequently as it used to though. 

That's different. Google makes money directly with Google Opinion Rewards, and "shares" the payout, which is only redeemable on their store with an expiration date. Most, if not all, of Google's Android and ChromeOS apps are free.

Microsoft doesn't inherently stand to directly profit from Edge users right now (at least, not enough to justify the coupons and whatnot they've given put thus far), and the Windows App store's better apps are either free, or MS apps, of which many are paid.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Yeah, if only ms listened to it's customers and adjusted their browser that way. They should do this too with their Microsoft updates

13 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

That's different. Google makes money directly with Google Opinion Rewards, and "shares" the payout, which is only redeemable on their store with an expiration date. Most, if not all, of Google's Android and ChromeOS apps are free.

Microsoft doesn't inherently stand to directly profit from Edge users right now (at least, not enough to justify the coupons and whatnot they've given put thus far), and the Windows App store's better apps are either free, or MS apps, of which many are paid.

I guess Microsoft makes money from people buying windows 10, 8 and 7 disks and usb's

1 hour ago, thegoogler said:

I guess Microsoft makes money from people buying windows 10, 8 and 7 disks and usb's

Microsoft makes their money from licenses for Windows, Office, and their other services like Skype, as well as selling their first party hardware.

Oh!...*tinfoil hat on*...Lastly they make money from your data via collected via telemetry.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, thegoogler said:

I bought 3 Windows 10 licenses, how does MS Edge factor in? Sure, I use Edge on 10 because it's been the best choice for primary browser on 10, but I'm not paying for anything, nor are any paid ads coming to me via Edge.

26 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Lastly they make money from your data via collected via telemetry.

Yes, because everyone wants to pay to know that I run Heaven every other week to see how my GPUs are doing with the rising temps outside. Such valuable information. Google's jelly that they can't know that, perhaps I'm lying to throw everyone but MS off my trail. /s

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

8 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Holy crap someone made a gif version.

You have no idea how long that took me to make in Blender -_-

Assignment due tomorrow? Nah, I'll make an RGB profile pic instead. (I'm really regretting that decision right now)

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

- Switch to Microsoft Edge

- Gets reward

- Switch back to Chrome/Firefox

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold