My computer just lost video output instead of shutting down. What do I do about this?

Bleedingyamato

Two times my desktop has not shut down correctly.

I select shutdown in the power options in the start menu but the monitor goes dark and goes into standby mode while my computer seemingly stays on.  Without any video output on the monitor I can't be sure what is going on though.  

I should mention that if I press the power button (then a second time to boot up) or reset button on my case the computer will startup normally so far as I can tell.  No error screen or anything that I saw.  

Anyone know why this happens and how to fix it?  

AFAIK this is a software issue.

I had this problem, and lived with it for a few months.

then, when I reinstalled windows (for unrelated reasons) the problem went away.

if you want to make sure, install something like Linux on a USB stick, and see if Linux shuts down your PC correctly.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Happens to me all the time... check if you hit the monitor cable with your feet and disconnected it by accident.
*I hope it's the problem, much easier to repair*

Just a question. 

PSU?

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 minutes ago, JDE said:

Just a question. 

PSU?

Nah

Because then it would shut down the computer

OP's problem is that his monitor goes dark but his computer stays on after hitting 'Shut Down' on his OS if I understand correctly.

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

3 minutes ago, JDE said:

Just a question. 

PSU?

• i7-6700K stock speed
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7
  • RAM
    16GB Corsair Vengence LPX at 2800MHz
  • GPU
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070 stock speed
  • Case
    Aerocool Aero-1000 (white)
  • Storage
    512GB Samsung 960 PRO (OS Drive), 120GB Sandisk SSD (Games), 4TB WD Black (Bulk storage)
  • PSU
    Seasonic 760W Platinum
  • Display(s)
    ASUS VG248QE 24 inch
  • Cooling
    Cryorig H7 (CPU), 3 120mm Corsair ML120 non-LED fans (case)
  • Keyboard
    Some cheap keyboard lol
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
  • Sound
    Monitor speakers for now.
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

4 minutes ago, cocorickoo said:

Happens to me all the time... check if you hit the monitor cable with your feet and disconnected it by accident.

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

OP's problem is that his monitor goes dark but his computer stays on after hitting 'Shut Down' on his OS if I understand correctly.

Desktop:

Laptop:

Now.  If you use the power BUTTON on your case, that may be set to sleep.  You can check that in your advance power options and look under "Power buttons and lids."  and run updates just in case if you haven't in a while.

20 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

AFAIK this is a software issue.

I had this problem, and lived with it for a few months.

then, when I reinstalled windows (for unrelated reasons) the problem went away.

if you want to make sure, install something like Linux on a USB stick, and see if Linux shuts down your PC correctly.

I've been considering doing a clean install of W10.  This might be another reason to do that.  

How would I go about getting Linux?    That can be booted from a USB flash drive?

20 hours ago, cocorickoo said:

I doubt that.  The monitor cable isn't running where I could step on it. 

20 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

Nah

Because then it would shut down the computer

Yes that's what's happened.   Only a couple times so far thankfully.  

20 hours ago, KyonEXE said:

Now.  If you use the power BUTTON on your case, that may be set to sleep.  You can check that in your advance power options and look under "Power buttons and lids."  and run updates just in case if you haven't in a while.

This was after selecting shut down in the start menu so it's not an issue with the power button on the case sorry.  

54 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

How would I go about getting Linux?    That can be booted from a USB flash drive?

Just go to one of the distro's sites, like Linux mint or Ubuntu, and there should be a USB download.

Desktop:

Laptop: