980 TI SLI vs 1080 TI SLI QHD Benchmarking

AManWithPlan
41 minutes ago, sgloux3470 said:

Gsynx is extremely useful for 4K 60Hz where it can be hard to drive everything at locked 60 FPS.  It makes games running at 40-59 fps feel smoother and is hugely beneficial.

It's also useful for 144Hz with games that are known to be CPU bound at +/- 120FPS

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

3 hours ago, sgloux3470 said:

Gsynx is extremely useful for 4K 60Hz where it can be hard to drive everything at locked 60 FPS.  It makes games running at 40-59 fps feel smoother and is hugely beneficial.

Which is the reason I said that "most" Gsync monitors are high refresh rate. The vast, vast majority of Gsync monitors are high refresh rate, and most people aiming for 4K are doing so on multiple GPUs anyway. Even for 4K 60 fps Gsync would make more sense with SLI support.

3 hours ago, Frankenburger said:

It's also useful for 144Hz with games that are known to be CPU bound at +/- 120FPS

Absolutely. It's not even the stagnation of CPUs, even before Ryzen Intel 6 core CPUs weren't that unreasonably priced yet the relative lack of support for them has meant that 144hz gaming is pretty much dead, and it has nothing to do with GPU power. It's dead enough that "no one games at 1080p with a good graphics card" has been commented on more Ryzen videos than actual Ryzen CPUs have been produced. Hyperbole, but you get the point.

(Speaking of, I do love AMD fanboy logic. On GPUs -- we don't need anything more powerful than a 480 because almost everyone games at 1080p. On CPUs -- why the fuck is this being benchmarked at 1080p when this CPU is just as bottlenecked as Intel's at 4K! Who the hell even uses 1080p any more!?)

4 hours ago, othertomperson said:

(Speaking of, I do love AMD fanboy logic. On GPUs -- we don't need anything more powerful than a 480 because almost everyone games at 1080p. On CPUs -- why the fuck is this being benchmarked at 1080p when this CPU is just as bottlenecked as Intel's at 4K! Who the hell even uses 1080p any more!?)

People say you don't need anything more powerful than a 480 for 1080p, not that no one needs more powerful GPU's for other usecases.(Atleast for the 90% of people running 1080p/60Hz)

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

7 hours ago, sgloux3470 said:

People say you don't need anything more powerful than a 480 for 1080p, not that no one needs more powerful GPU's for other usecases.(Atleast for the 90% of people running 1080p/60Hz)

It's the disconnect of 1080p being simultaneously too niche and unimportant in the one scenario, while being what most people are using in the other that I find hilarious.

Like realistically paired with a high refresh freesync monitor a 480 would give you way higher than 60 fps in a lot of games. But noooooo CPU doesn't matter at all of course...