RX 570 upgrade worth it?

refinedskillz

RX 570  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Should I get a RX 570?

• Yes, buy one now.
    • Yes, buy one when you later upgrade your PC.
    • No, don't buy one.

I own a FX-8350 as my main CPU with 16GB of ram attached. I play JC3, GTAV, and use photoshop for my music covers. Do you guys think its worth it to upgrade. I currently have a R9 380 and im on Windows 7.

I also am considering a Ryzen 5, but thats a longer term project.

Edit: Im also slightly worried about a CPU bottleneck, can anyone confirm on that?

Ryzen 5 1600 - GTX 980 Ti - Broke.

I don't think it is worth it. It isnt a huge performance boost for like 160+ USD (or however much the 5xx series cost)

Just now, Abyss Gaming said:

I don't think it is worth it. It isnt a huge performance boost for like 160+ USD (or however much the 5xx series cost)

I watched the benchmark that LTT uploaded and they showed 80fps on GTA V on extreme settings. I get 40-60fps on normal. :P

I would upgrade your CPU 1st. A 380 is still a decent 60 fps GPU for those games.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

3 minutes ago, refinedskillz said:

I watched the benchmark that LTT uploaded and they showed 80fps on GTA V on extreme settings. I get 40-60fps on normal. :P

Your CPU would hold it back. you would not be getting the same framerates.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Just now, refinedskillz said:

I feel like reviewers always get higher averages and they are using top of the line CPUs. Try to find a review on the RX 470 vs R9 380 as the difference between the 4xx and 5xx series is minimal at best.

Just now, ivan134 said:

Your CPU would hold it back. you would not be getting the same framerates.

By how much?

5 minutes ago, refinedskillz said:

That's because of your CPU most likely.

I get 45-65FPS at 1440p with GTX 1060 with everything maxed out, advanced settings included 2x MFAA + TXAA.

Edit, I though you have RX480...sorry

I would seriously look at a CPU upgrade before the GPU...  The 8350 is a lot older processor/architecture and (as others have mentioned) may be providing a CPU bottleneck, especially if you mainly work/game in 1080p resolutions.  

2 minutes ago, refinedskillz said:

By how much?

You will fluctuate between 40 to 60 fps at best. I had the fx 8350 and a gtx 1070 while I was waiting for ryzen to come out. You will be able to turn some of the visual settings up but you won't be able to turn up the cpu bound settings because it will wreck performance

7 minutes ago, refinedskillz said:

By how much?

It can be up to 40% vs a Skylake CPU.

The rx 570 should be at least 50% faster than the r9 380 (rx 470 performance +5-10%, and the video below uses benchmarks from August 2016, and software updates have made the rx 470 about 8% faster today since this video was released).

To answer your concern, yes your CPU will limit your GPU performance, but you'll still see increased performance with the rx 570.

Also, if you buy the GPU now it will make the impact of a full system build less extreme when you decide to buy. This, in combination with the slight increase in performance you should see with the rx 570, would be enough to convince me to by the rx 570 if I was planning to build a new rig within 3 months anyways.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX