Windows 10 sets power plan back to "balanced" every time I reboot

Go to solution Solved by NinJake,

Good thing you have the Pro version. Go to the start menu/search bar and type gpedit.msc

I'm not sure EXACTLY where it's configured, but in group policy (local policy, assuming you're not connected to a domain), find the power option configuration and set it to whatever you want. The policy will take precedence over any other settings.

Once set, open up command prompt as admin, type "gpupdate /force" and then let it do its thing and restart your computer afterwards. Now your computer has a policy letting it know exactly what settings it should be for your power plan.

-----------path-----------

Local Computer Policies > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Power Management

From there you can change settings as you see fit. You can't do this with W10 Home, but Pro you can. @Fraser Cow

Hey all, So for some reason windows 10 keeps setting my pc's power plan back to balanced and it's driving me crazy. I even tried changing the default power plan preference in the registry and it's still going back to balanced.

Good thing you have the Pro version. Go to the start menu/search bar and type gpedit.msc

I'm not sure EXACTLY where it's configured, but in group policy (local policy, assuming you're not connected to a domain), find the power option configuration and set it to whatever you want. The policy will take precedence over any other settings.

Once set, open up command prompt as admin, type "gpupdate /force" and then let it do its thing and restart your computer afterwards. Now your computer has a policy letting it know exactly what settings it should be for your power plan.

-----------path-----------

Local Computer Policies > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Power Management

From there you can change settings as you see fit. You can't do this with W10 Home, but Pro you can. @Fraser Cow

When I open gpedit.msc I get this popup twice and then Local Group Policy Editor opens.

Capture.JPG

14 minutes ago, linustouchtips said:

i don't think you have creators update. Try hard setting your power plan in the regedit. 

I did that. it didn't work. I'm about to try @NinJake solution

EDIT

It appears to be fixed now. I'll post back in this thread if I have any more issues. Thanks for the help guys!

Capture.JPG