TV optical port broken

rl249

Hey guys,

The optical port on my LG TV (42lb561v) is currently broken which is rendering my soundbar useless. Is there any adapter or switch I can use to pass audio from my sound bar to my tv by using a hdmi port or coax etc..?

Does this do literally what it says?

Optical into device from sound bar > hdmi from the device to the tv and it will just pass through Audio?

I think you got your directions mixed up.

The Optical on your TV is an Output.

So in essence the Soundbar should handle all the audio and your TV speakers should do nothing. If for some reason you are using the TV speakers instead of the Soundbar then you'll need something different. But that is unlikely as the optical on your TV is NOT an input

On a side note: When you want the TV audio to your Soundbar with that device you will need to use the HDMI on the side as its the only one with ARC (an Audio return channel in the HDMI)

Hey thanks for explaing all that!

I drew up a diagram in paint to explain my scenario 

The red line shows how the set up currently is, the soundbar going directly into only one device. 

Since the hdmi from the switch was passing through audio I was able to set my tv to use the optical. But since that port is broken I don't have the option.

Will something like this help me get my old setup back?

thanks for all the help.

Looking at that diagram i just have 1 question: Do you use your TV for switching channels? If you use a digital receiver then the location of the extractor changes a wee bit.

In case of your TV decoding digital/analog antenna then it needs to go on the ARC HDMI. Otherwise you can just put it between the HDMI splitter and the TV.

What do you mean by switching channels? do you mean switching from device to device? if so I don't use the tv, I use a remote control for the switch. The TV is permanently set to use optical over the TV speakers. 

I meant TV channels as in BBC1, BBC2, ect ect. Or whatever channels you have in your area :)

On 4/19/2017 at 2:03 PM, Dujith said:

I meant TV channels as in BBC1, BBC2, ect ect. Or whatever channels you have in your area :)

Ah sorry!

I don't actually have any, I don't need them! My tv is just for streaming and gaming. 

Then just place the device between the splitter and the TV. And ofc connect the Optical to your soundbar :)