What would you sacrifice for a LinusMediaGroup Job? (Not your home)

Dylan Bawden

What would you Sacrifice for a LinusMediaGroup Job?.  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sacrifice everything to join LinusMediaGroup?

This is just to see how different people are and what they would do, to get a job with Linus, Nick, Luke, Brandon... etc.. in LinusMediaGroup.

@WereCat This why I made this post, to see how people think compared to me. In my opinion, i would love this job because I enjoy everything they do. Free time would not matter to me Because I'm bored of it and I can't do anything in free time.

1 minute ago, Dylan Bawden said:

@WereCat This why I made this post, to see how people think compared to me. In my opinion, i would love this job because I enjoy everything they do. Free time would not matter to me Because I'm bored of it and I can't do anything in free time.

I can understand hero worship and maybe obsession, but I think you need to find some productive hobbies.  Have you considered studying/practicing things like video editing, animations, production tasks that might help you get a job at LMG or something similar?

1 minute ago, PineyCreek said:

I can understand hero worship and maybe obsession, but I think you need to find some productive hobbies.  Have you considered studying/practicing things like video editing, animations, production tasks that might help you get a job at LMG or something similar?

Also: If you're into computers OP, try programming, it's great :D

I will sacrifice my OLD PIII Rig To Join LinusMediaGroup

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

@PineyCreek Well no I have not, however, im a fast learner and also I am a great handyman. I have been trying editing, however, i need someone to show me how considering on a slow machine it's not too easy to experiment and get self-taught.

@mikat I can't understand how to code side of things work.. It's hard to be self taught.

1 minute ago, Dylan Bawden said:

@PineyCreek Well no I have not, however, im a fast learner and also I am a great handyman. I have been trying editing, however, i need someone to show me how considering on a slow machine it's not too easy to experiment and get self-taught.

Sometimes (depending on where you are) facilities such as libraries or craft shops will have computers with software that you can reserve or rent (depending on the arrangement) for things such as this.  You could look around locally for such a thing.  There's open source software out there for pretty much anything, although it's likely the majority of software you'll use in a job is going to be a combination of open source and big brand software.

Just now, Dylan Bawden said:

@mikat I can't understand how to code side of things work.. It's hard to be self taught.

You need to start small, check out https://www.codecademy.com/learn/javascript

I learned everything myself with tutorials on sites like codecademy and youtube, it's really fun and working for LMG is cool, and I'd definitely like to do it, but there are so many other fun things to do :)

@PineyCreek Well considering I live in a small country town, i can't do much because there are an IGA and a few small food businesses down the hill and also 2 fuel stations... Also, the software side is true. But for me to learn fast and enjoy it is if someone shows me how physically instead of through the screen... 

Depends. I would sacrifice a lot just to be able to work in Canada as I love winter, wintersport, mountains and snow. LMG though isn't the company I want to work for.

Just now, Dylan Bawden said:

@PineyCreek Well considering I live in a small country town, i can't do much because there are an IGA and a few small food businesses down the hill and also 2 fuel stations... Also, the software side is true. But for me to learn fast and enjoy it is if someone shows me how physically instead of through the screen... 

Some entry level jobs will train you.  There's also a large number of online courses (ex. Udemy) as well as youtube videos on those subjects.  If you want physical training though, probably your best bet (including getting your foot in the door for a job in the industry) is to teach yourself and take some type of class.  Get a book on the software of your choice and frequently it will include a CD with videos and practice labs.  If you can afford to take a class at a nearby tech school or community college, even better.

I would think that depending on the company they're going to take your eagerness to work and learn as well as your personality into account, but a small company may not have the resources to train someone to do the job.  They're probably going to want experience, or a body of work like a portfolio, or a demonstration of skills.

i wouldn't sacrifice anything, cuz i don't want a job there. Keep in mind that what you see in video's is mostly the fun times. The rest is stress and hell (a bit exaggerated i admit), its a JOB which means hard work and probably more hours then other jobs.

People usually expect jobs like this to be all fun times and playing with expensive hardware etc... But what they don't show in the video's is the hard work and stress and pressure that comes with it.

I also really don't wanna move to canada, i hate the cold....

I have no signature

No, i'm still at school and i don't want to do any of the jobs people do at LMG. Working for the guys at 45drives is more my thing :P Deploying petabyte projects all day long woo! :D

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon