Convince me not to switch from Android back to IOS

KWelz

A bit of background first.  I am a long time IOS user.  However the Note 7 enticed me to switch from my iPhone 6S+.  I loved the phone, but of course we all know how that turned out.  So I traded it in for an S8 Edge.   While the phone hasn't been terrible I have found a number of issues that I am not sure I can deal with.  Enough so that on Friday I picked up an iPhone 7 Plus.  So at this point I am either going to keep the 7 Plus or possibly try an  S8+.   

But there are a number of things I have problems with on the Android side that I am hoping can be overcome.  While I love the Widgets and general customizability of the operating system, along with many of the features offered on Samsung phones, I find a number of issues I really need to find solutions for.  

So here is where you all come in.  

Help me find solutions to these problems.   

• First and foremost is battery life.  This started out meh and went downhill from there.   If I leave the phone sitting unplugged overnight I lose most of a charge.  Whereas by comparison I can leave the iphone sitting overnight I lose a couple percent at most.  What can be done to fix this?
  • Next is performance.  It seems like that without fail after a couple months the phone will start slowing down to the point it is almost unusable.  The solution is of course a complete factory reset and to start over..  Same as above.  What is the deal here.  

The other issues here are software related.  

Most of the common apps are fine.  They are cross platform and work great.  But there are a couple I use on IOS that have no quality equivalent.  

• Email.  I have yet to find any email app on Android that is anywhere close to the apple email app.  Any suggestions here?   The best i have found is Microsoft Outlook but even it is limited. I can't find a way to save enough emails locally.  Not to mention there is no way to do an unread message count.  Even using 3rd party apps doesn't seem to help with this.  
  • Text messages..  Same as above.  The built is in barely even adequate and the only 3rd party I have been able to tolerate is Textra, and even it leaves a lot to be desired.  I also need one that can handle thousands of texts from hundreds of people.   

Of course what are the two apps I use the most?  Test and Email.  

Less important but still nice to have would be a way to stream to my Apple TVs in the house. 

So help me out here.   Lots of Android fans and apple haters on here.   This is your chance to shine!

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Try stock android / something similar in the form of a Oneplus 3T or Google Pixel before switching if possible, because it's honestly a whole new world.

other than that, if you don't miss the customization of android, and really only text/email on your phone, IOS may be the better OS for you.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Might want to check out the Pixel then, as stock android might be a good reason.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Android is a shit OS, lets all be honest, there is too many things that can go wrong in it compared to the greatly optimized iOS

Long term software updates dont seem to be an issue for you since you upgrade to the best thing early so thats not a problem

Battery life I would try stock android or the 7+ or just wait for the 8

Not sure why you're having such bad issues with the S8, Whats your battery life like? Try downloading Accubattery to check whats draining it so much

imessage blows any android text app out of the water, its just the best.

It seems like you long for iOS again, so I'd just grab a 8 or 7+

(If you use facebook/Messenger Or snapchat quite alot that will absolutely kill your battery on android)

3 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Android is a shit OS, lets all be honest, there is too many things that can go wrong in it compared to iOS

Long term software updates dont seem to be an issue for you since you upgrade to the best thing early so thats not a problem

Battery life I would try stock android or the 7+ or just wait for the 8

Not sure why you're having such bad issues with the S8, Whats your battery life like? Try downloading Accubattery to check whats draining it so much

imessage blows any android text app out of the water, its just the best.

It seems like you long for iOS again, so I'd just grab a 8 or 7+

I like using Android day to day, and I don't long for my old device. Keep in mind, I use the Note 5, a few generations old.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Was about to make a similar thread. Looking at the S8+ 

Can't do much for battery life, though I've seen strides with extreme tweaking through roots. 

Maybe put your phone in "Ultimate Power Saving" before going to sleep? It's in the options like Airplane, Bluetooth, etc. Even unplugged it advertises a 24+ hour charge. It kills all background tasks and makes your screen greyscale. You can phone & text, even browse the web, check e-mails.

You can add up to six "on demand" apps, like Facebook. Through root I even added Facebook Messenger, so I spend quite a lot of time in this mode.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Mi Max? It has 4000maH battery

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, Aytex said:

What?

TL;DR: I like Android and I don't long for my old iPhone 6

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

Just now, JDE said:

TL;DR: I like Android and I don't long for my old iPhone 6

Okay?? thanks for telling? but you're not the OP, OP has certain issues, that he has addressed and is looking for a solution for HIS needs.

(Not trying to be a dick :)

Just now, Aytex said:

Okay?? thanks for telling? but you're not the OP, OP has certain issues, that he has addressed and is looking for a solution for HIS needs.

(Not trying to be a dick :)

8 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Android is a shit OS, lets all be honest, there is too many things that can go wrong in it compared to the greatly optimized iOS

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

8 minutes ago, JDE said:

Yeah? its pretty bad compared to iOS, in terms of just usability and performance. 

Dont get me wrong I am a diehard android fanboy and cannot stand the Appearance and UI of iOS, But it has less problems then android, There is less variables in the problem..

You see android on millions and different variations of phones, And apple only has to concentrate on their baseline models giving their dev's a easier time to code. There really is no argument on how fast and smooth their UI is.

Yes you got the base android, lets say pixel thats smooth and fast cause the dev's are directly on it similar to Apple iphone

But you got samsung, huawei, Xiaomi and they add their cancerous twist of skins, EMUI, MIUI, Touchwiz(Which has gone a long way and is getting better) but this skin, is another variable to the problem, making room for more bugs and issues.

I'm not here saying ermagod ios>android any dai!!!

No, I am just stating that its just overall a smoother and faster OS with less problems than android.

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Yeah? its pretty bad compared to iOS, in terms of just usability and performance. 

Dont get me wrong I am a diehard android fanboy and cannot stand the Appearance and UI of iOS, But it has less problems then android, There is less variables in the problem..

You see android on millions and different variations of phones, And apple only has to concentrate on their baseline models giving their dev's a easier time to code. There really is no argument on how fast and smooth their UI is.

Yes you got the base android, lets say pixel thats smooth and fast cause the dev's are directly on it similar to Apple iphone

But you got samsung, and they add their cancerous twist of touchwiz (Which has gone a long way and is getting better) but this skin, is another variable to the problem, making room for more bugs and issues,

TouchWiz got basically got rebranded as "Grace UX"

https://www.sammobile.com/2016/11/25/samsung-rolls-out-grace-ux-update-for-the-galaxy-note-5-in-south-korea/

Screen-Shot-2016-11-25-at-07.37.28.png

Screen-Shot-2016-11-25-at-07.37.33.png

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

ANYWAYS:

Try HTC 10 or Oneplus 3T for battery life. Or if not a flagship try the Xiaomi Mi Max, Zenfone 2 Max, LG X Power or BLU Studio Energy 2. They have 4000mah+ batteries.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

well you know yourself better than anyone else (Unless you are Q from Star Trek) 

The things you listed are things that iOS is simply....better at. I use an iPhone everyday and I love it. 

You listed some of the biggest issues with Android. 

Poor battery performance, slow downs, and lower quality 1st party apps. 

What you listed are pretty convincing arguments, in my view, to switch back to the iPhone. Your phone is your communications device, and if that device cannot perform its job as well as the iPhone can, and does........well......buy the iPhone. iPhones are also more reliable, you always need your phone to work, and with Android unfortunately things might not always work. (that's not to say the iPhone is perfect, but it is certainly more reliable)  

Customization is great, but in reality most people get board of it in 5 seconds and just want to use a device that works out of the box and that does not need regular maintenance to just do its job.

Also some food for thought, iPhones are now cheaper than some Android flagships. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

8 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Can you specify the battery issues and want to try and solve it? or do you just want to go ahead and pick a new device

To my understanding, the battery issue is Android's vastly inferior idle power management. Comparatively, Apple's is outstanding, and not a single Android device I've owned has come close to my iPhone 7 Plus in terms of battery performance. There's no fixing it.

The first few comments mentioning stock Android are absolute rubbish. They don't solve the OP's problems in the slightest, he's still missing out on decent email and text message applications, idle power management doesn't change much, if at all. The only thing I'd argue as fixed is performance, but I can't say I've kept a stock Android device for more than 6 months (and the one I did, the Nexus 5, saw multiple ROM flashes).

All that said, however, I'm looking to get rid of my Galaxy S7 and buy a Nexus 6P as my secondary daily driver. I can't use my S7 as much as I've gotten accustomed to the larger display of the 7 Plus and the 6P was perfect. The reason I'm looking to get the secondary daily driver is that the update to iOS 10.3.1 has been miserable. It honestly feels like beta software, I can't go a single day without a crash. Most of the time, they're soft crashes, where I'm only kicked back to the lock screen and asked to reenter my password (TouchID is disabled until I do so), but I will face a hard crash time from time - an issue I never faced with my Nexus 6P.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

8 minutes ago, Suika said:

To my understanding, the battery issue is Android's vastly inferior idle power management. Comparatively, Apple's is outstanding, and not a single Android device I've owned has come close to my iPhone 7 Plus in terms of battery performance. There's no fixing it.

The first few comments mentioning stock Android are absolute rubbish. They don't solve the OP's problems in the slightest, he's still missing out on decent email and text message applications, idle power management doesn't change much, if at all. The only thing I'd argue as fixed is performance, but I can't say I've kept a stock Android device for more than 6 months (and the one I did, the Nexus 5, saw multiple ROM flashes).

All that said, however, I'm looking to get rid of my Galaxy S7 and buy a Nexus 6P as my secondary daily driver. I can't use my S7 as much as I've gotten accustomed to the larger display of the 7 Plus and the 6P was perfect. The reason I'm looking to get the secondary daily driver is that the update to iOS 10.3.1 has been miserable. It honestly feels like beta software, I can't go a single day without a crash. Most of the time, they're soft crashes, where I'm only kicked back to the lock screen and asked to reenter my password (TouchID is disabled until I do so), but I will face a hard crash time from time - an issue I never faced with my Nexus 6P.

Android's doze? I think its pretty well done for its early stages.

there is just no competition or alternative over imessage and google's 1000 revisions of Google messaging

Not sure why not try out Gmail APP? idk his usage

Not sure how mentioning stock android is "absolute rubbish" its just a OS difference, i'm sure stock would help with some battery issues instead of a skin.

as messaging and email apps are open on most all phones.

(seriously though its been like 2 weeks and if OP has a s8 battery drain something is clearly wrong with his os)

From a person about the 6p

He's gonna have an equally bad time with the 6P if his issue is fingerprint sensors. There's an issue going around on 7.1.2 where the fingerprint sensors on Nexuses and Pixels fail

I don't have it, but the issue is there

I dont see much of a problem though going from s7 to 6p if its just the display, 810 thermal throttles but its not like everyone is gaming/heavy load 24/7 :D 

I would say stick to Android but that's just my preference. Ios is good if you want simplicity and just want everything to work. The reason Ios is so nice is because everything is connected to each other. There aren't nearly as many variants to it as Android therefor everyone is working with the same thing.

Android is nice if you want to something open source and customizable. Android lets you customize whatever you want and nobody is going to stop you from messing with the code. Android really only has problems if you're doing something you're not supposed to such as installing another rom that isn't made for your phone model. Just make sure you read up on whatever phone you're gonna get and make sure you can do what you want with it.

I currently have a one plus 2 and I love it. If you're looking for a good android phone I would recommend oneplus. Their phones are very good and I would recommend getting the latest one that's coming out here pretty soon. Basically any flagship killer will do you good. As said previously companies such as Samsung like to put their own shit on there and that gives you a completely different experience from stock Android. Just do your own research because in the end you can only trust yourself with what you want.

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

Not sure how mentioning stock android is "absolute rubbish" its just a OS difference

I'm more complaining that the suggestion doesn't fix OP's problems at all. Moving to stock mitigates the issues with battery performance and performance degradation, but doesn't solve them.

Horrendous activation methods, iTunes, poor format support for media, no drag and drop simplicity, low res screen compared to competition, rip headphone jack for audiophiles (F the android phones that do the same), did I mention iTunes?

8 minutes ago, Suika said:

kicked back to the lock screen and asked to reenter my password (TouchID is disabled until I do so), but I will face a hard crash time from time 

Sounds like a Spring board crash which happens when you are jailbroken or the OS is damaged in some way. 

Browsing r/Apple it does seem like 10.3.1 has some issues with it but 10.3.2 is on its way. I am personally  jailbroken on iOS 10.2 and I get crashes because jailbreaking is unstable. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 minutes ago, Suika said:

I'm more complaining that the suggestion doesn't fix OP's problems at all. Moving to stock mitigates the issues with battery performance and performance degradation, but doesn't solve them.

Well like I said above about the "more variables crap" it could be the skin, could be fixed by a simple restart who knows, I sure as hell dont but would like to help OP find the root source.

It just gets rid of some of the issues as a cleaner and less boatloaded version..

And performance degradation, that happens on every phone..?

7 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Horrendous activation methods, iTunes, poor format support for media, no drag and drop simplicity, low res screen compared to competition, rip headphone jack for audiophiles (F the android phones that do the same), did I mention iTunes?

Not sure what you mean by activation methods. 

You dont need to use iTunes (I use it because I download stuff form the internet) 

iPhones support almost every media format except for FLACC which can be converted into ALAC. 

not sure what you mean by drag and drop, provide and example. 

1080p vs 1440p on smartphones has been debunked by Linus himslef. 

Headphone jack concern is valid, but not for audiophiles. iPhone still offer a better experience than say a Galaxy. The iPhones have better AMPS and decent DACs. 

Just now, Mooshi said:

Horrendous activation methods

Not sure what this means, I've never had an issue activating an iPhone, and my job is to activate iPhones.

Just now, Mooshi said:

iTunes

Honestly, this is a really good argument. I keep my songs saved locally to my device, and I hate iTunes with a burning passion.

1 minute ago, Mooshi said:

low res screen compared to competition

Switching between a 5.1" 1440p display and a 5.5" 1080p display pretty frequently... I don't see your argument, here.

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Sounds like a Spring board crash which happens when you are jailbroken or the OS is damaged in some way. 

I haven't rooted or jailbroke a device since... my Moto X Pure? And that was to get 6.0 early. Perhaps a factory data reset would fix it, but considering apps on iPhones are 3x larger than they are on Android, in my experience, it would take forever to redownload everything on my 1.5Mb/s connection.