What Car would you buy for $55k

Glass
3 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

Sadly a Quadrifoglio is 72k in the states before you hit the options list, so that's out.

I don't know what's wrong with some of you, I did an hours commute each way in a mk1 (NA) MX 5 (Miata) for a couple of years and it was fine. Moaning about a lack of cup holders for fucks sake, or suggesting a DB9 isn't suitable for sitting in traffic.

$55k is about £43k and for that I'd probably go with a used Porsche 911, RWD with manual box

Yeah, but even with the Giulia Ti you can get some good options, and that's within the $55k price range. Whatever money I have left I could spend on either that car or another.

3 hours ago, PCMasterDebater said:

You're the first to post a v8, RWD, Semi-Luxury Sedan with a proper 6 speed. Its fast, corners damn good, heavily modifiable, stylish, big trunk, spacious, uncommon, and fucking sexy too; The best part? You can take your kids with you. Good job bro, I'd buy the same thing.

4 hours ago, Dylanc1500 said:

2017 Chevy SS, a different camshaft and stainless cut-outs.

Heh....

late-20s engineer, pathetically short commute, and didn't need another car.

I just bought a 2017 Chevy SS, after heavily considering a bunch of different options (M2, Focus RS, ND Miata, BRZ, C63 AMG, E9x M3). While a car payment sucks, not having to pay for maintenance and repair is pretty liberating. Then again all my other cars have been and are still Subaru and BMW project hoopties, and the neverending fixing has gotten old on a daily driver. You may think living with a project car is fine until you live with a project car for your main car.

Part of what sold me on the SS was the LS3 and drivetrain. It's proven to be very durable, DIY friendly, and relatively simple electronically. Can't say that about any of the BMWs or Mercs anymore. I bought the car with the long view; otherwise I'd just lease an M2 and be done with it.

I gotta say....V8 noises are awesome, V8+manual is hilarious fun. Can't wait to track it, especially since this car will actually pass Laguna's noise restrictions. The S54 E36 sure as hell doesn't.

Pic of the SS attached below

IMAG0413.jpg

37 minutes ago, bimmerman said:

Heh....

late-20s engineer, pathetically short commute, and didn't need another car.

I just bought a 2017 Chevy SS, after heavily considering a bunch of different options (M2, Focus RS, ND Miata, BRZ, C63 AMG, E9x M3). While a car payment sucks, not having to pay for maintenance and repair is pretty liberating. Then again all my other cars have been and are still Subaru and BMW project hoopties, and the neverending fixing has gotten old on a daily driver. You may think living with a project car is fine until you live with a project car for your main car.

Part of what sold me on the SS was the LS3 and drivetrain. It's proven to be very durable, DIY friendly, and relatively simple electronically. Can't say that about any of the BMWs or Mercs anymore. I bought the car with the long view; otherwise I'd just lease an M2 and be done with it.

I gotta say....V8 noises are awesome, V8+manual is hilarious fun. Can't wait to track it, especially since this car will actually pass Laguna's noise restrictions. The S54 E36 sure as hell doesn't.

Pic of the SS attached below

IMAG0413.jpg

The LS3 is an awesome motor just a simple cam swap on those can get you to 460-475 with a stock tune. You were able to get a stick model and that color? I looked everywhere around me and all were autos and not that color. However I wish I could do a COPO order and have them throw the LT4 in it but keep the exhaust that is currently on them.

4 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

He might have just meant a standard Guilia

My choice would be a white R.S. 200 Cup and a Silver Hawkeye STI

Save myself £20k for mods and other stuff :)

A Ti, more specifically. AWD and still has some of the perks that exist in the Quadrifoglio, but it fits within the $55k range.

1 hour ago, bimmerman said:

snip

Mhmmmm.  That color is by far the fucking most sexy ass, wet lips color I've ever seen on any car by far. Damn good choice Bimmerman and a smart move going for the M6. Companies aren't making cars like that anymore and its to freaking bad. The pleasure of driving a car like that is unforgettable. In the words of a current gen 15yo... I'm Jelly bro.

That color is very close to my Sunset Orange Metallic (SOM) Z28 Camaro that I bust a nut to every time I walk by her.

Just so you know, I'm not into showing off. I rarely post about anything I own nor do I ever show pictures. But in this very rare case. "You show my yours, I'll show you mine!"

I've had her since 2005.

11.9@115mph in the 1/4

picture_php_pictureid_33083_a6c1be4aa771a66a46c66349bd359a46317eee3c.jpg

I haven't driven her since 2008.   :)  only 20k miles.

I7-7700k@5.1ghz + 1080ti @ 2050mhz + 32gbs Ram + 2TB SSD = CSGO

i7-6700k@4.9ghz + 980ti @ 1501mhz + 16gbs Ram + 1 TB SSD = Backup

i7-3770k@4.8ghz + 680 4gb + 32gbs Ram + 500gb SSD = Retired/Office work

2 hours ago, Dylanc1500 said:

The LS3 is an awesome motor just a simple cam swap on those can get you to 460-475 with a stock tune. You were able to get a stick model and that color? I looked everywhere around me and all were autos and not that color. However I wish I could do a COPO order and have them throw the LT4 in it but keep the exhaust that is currently on them.

Yup, M6! My local dealer has only been ordering manuals because no one wants the autos around here. The LS3 is a great motor but is definitely showing its age vs the LT motors. Thankfully there are bajilions of aftermarket parts for it, including some smog-legal superchargers. It has more than enough power for now though.

2 hours ago, PCMasterDebater said:

Mhmmmm.  That color is by far the fucking most sexy ass, wet lips color I've ever seen on any car by far. Damn good choice Bimmerman and a smart move going for the M6. Companies aren't making cars like that anymore and its to freaking bad. The pleasure of driving a car like that is unforgettable. In the words of a current gen 15yo... I'm Jelly bro.

That color is very close to my Sunset Orange Metallic (SOM) Z28 Camaro that I bust a nut to every time I walk by her.

Just so you know, I'm not into showing off. I rarely post about anything I own nor do I ever show pictures. But in this very rare case. "You show my yours, I'll show you mine!"

I've had her since 2005.

11.9@115mph in the 1/4

I haven't driven her since 2008.   :)  only 20k miles.

Thanks! You've got a beautiful car, and that color suits it very well. What've you done to it to run that quick? 20k miles is only just broken in!

I'm loving the color. I really liked the green and blue, but had to have the orange once I saw it in person. I'm planning on keeping this car for as long as she makes me giggle like a 4 year old. It handles great, stops great, makes glorious noises, and is comfortable enough to have clients in the car for work (i.e., no 'oh it only does that when it's _____') . It's fantastic!

Orange 3rd gen on 20" Iroc wheels and a screamin supercharger.

3rd gen Camaro.JPG

CPU: Intel Core i5 2400 GPU: MSi GTX 1050 Ti 4GT OC RAM: 14GB DDR3 (3x2GB, 1x8GB) Mobo: Acer MB.GAU07.001 Case: Gateway DX4860 PSU: EVGA 600W Bronze Plus

How I feel reading some of these replies.

omg-559bd3d53cd2b.jpg

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

32 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I've seen more muscle cars posted than Supras and GTRs.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

2 minutes ago, vetali said:

I've seen more muscle cars posted than Supras and GTRs.

You are not supposed to take memes word for word. Only the essence of its meaning.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

You are not supposed to take memes word for word. Only the essence of its meaning.

Then just say it rather than posting a shitty meme?

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Just now, vetali said:

Then just say it rather than posting a shitty meme?

Make me.

11 hours ago, bimmerman said:

Yup, M6! My local dealer has only been ordering manuals because no one wants the autos around here. The LS3 is a great motor but is definitely showing its age vs the LT motors. Thankfully there are bajilions of aftermarket parts for it, including some smog-legal superchargers. It has more than enough power for now though.

Swap LT1 heads onto it for a couple grand and boom you have DI. Obviously the other parts that go with it, but the fact they can bolt on is awesome.

13 hours ago, bimmerman said:

Snip

I set her up for drag racing. Its amazing how quick a stock car can be with a few thoughtful modifications. I put a few grand into her without getting into the motor. With a Yank built 4000RPM Torque Converter for hard launch. Double stacked B&M Transmission cooler to keep the high RPM converter from toasting the tranny. She squats down and digs hard out of the hole with the set of Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs which provided zero wheel hop, sending the power to a set of Mickey Thompson drag radials. Blows 122db @ 4200rpm with the set of LPP longtube headers, no cats and a SLP exhaust. Dynotuned, she only put down 344hp. Good thing for driver mod    :)

19 hours ago, PCMasterDebater said:

Neither car is 4WD. They are AWD which is very different.  :)

I know, just was tired when I posted

14 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

True, as it sounds like OP wants a daily driver that will last for a while and be reliable. This is the primary reason for my suggestion of some sort of VW (even though some may be worried about dieselgate) as VW has a good track record for warranties and recall policies. For instance, my parents' car (a 2007 Jetta) was a model that had a part that was recalled due to potential paint flaking. Long story short, we got the issue fixed for free and VW threw in a new battery and set of tires (Pirellis none the less) as a bonus, for free.

14 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

snip

hahaha, I thought the meme was funny. It sums up all cars really. Thanks for the post!

1 hour ago, Qwweb said:

True, as it sounds like OP wants a daily driver that will last for a while and be reliable. This is the primary reason for my suggestion of some sort of VW (even though some may be worried about dieselgate) as VW has a good track record for warranties and recall policies. For instance, my parents' car (a 2007 Jetta) was a model that had a part that was recalled due to potential paint flaking. Long story short, we got the issue fixed for free and VW threw in a new battery and set of tires (Pirellis none the less) as a bonus, for free.

Yea... which is why mine was a Volvo. By the time you have much money to spend on a car, chances are you're already starting a family. A muscle car... won't really fit the bill all that well.

Hmmm if it were a sports car I'd go with either a Chevrolet Camero or a Toyota GT86.  If it were a truck I would move up from my Nissan Frontier Desert Runner to a Ford F150.

If I had $55K.

I would import an AE86 Trueno, completely strip it down to the chassis, full roll cage, fender tubs, wide body fenders, chassis bracing, and give it an complete coat of paint.

Then I'd build a 7AGE motor using a 7AFE block, Crower 1.8L stroker kit and a ported and polished 4AGE head. High compression pistons and head gasket, forged crank and con rods. Dry sump oil system. Complete with cams, ITBs, electronic ignition, Haltech ECU, the works. Mishimoto cooling components, stainless steel brake lines, fuel lines, oil cooling lines, etc. Drop in a sequential dog box transmission with straight cut gears, add in a fully locked differential. Bare interior, no sound deadening or anything, racing seats with five point harnesses, custom Alcantara dashboard with electronic gauge cluster, flip switches for fuel, ignition, starter, etc. Drop the car on all new suspension work with coilovers, and have some nice and wide wheels with meaty rubber.

Dream car right there. Dunno if $55K would cut it though tbh xD

If not that then a brand new Subaru WRX STI. With the remaining money I'd get a good tune, wheels and coilovers, maybe some other small stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know why.... But I love rotaries.... I'd choose RX-7 or RX-8.

Or else I'd get S15 Silvia, maybe 240SX?

Umm.... Miata?

I don't know really lol I just want them all :x

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

I would buy something that holds it value, so I could sell it right away.