FX 5500 vs 6600 LE

ok so i have a FX 5500 in my rig that just plays NFSU2 but i want to play it at a bit higher settings so i found a 6600 LE  for $20, so is it worth the upgrade? its paired with a P4 3.2GHz with no ability to upgrade CPU power.

thanks for any help here :D 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

14 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

ok so i have a FX 5500 in my rig that just plays NFSU2 but i want to play it at a bit higher settings so i found a 6600 LE  for $20, so is it worth the upgrade? its paired with a P4 3.2GHz with no ability to upgrade CPU power.

thanks for any help here :D 

Apparently, not by much...

Here is a spec comparison.

It supports DX9c, which will make more titles work.

1 minute ago, Factory OC said:

Apparently, not by much...

Here is a spec comparison.

It supports DX9c, which will make more titles work.

its litteraly just going to be running NFSU2 and nothing else ever so thats un needed. well il see if i can overclock the FX 5500 then i guess, i never did that and now i feel stupid that i havent lol. thanks for the info

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

its litteraly just going to be running NFSU2 and nothing else ever so thats un needed. well il see if i can overclock the FX 5500 then i guess, i never did that and now i feel stupid that i havent lol. thanks for the info

You should. I'm going to install NFS:MW, I'd like to see how the IGPU keeps up. Going back to the golden days of NFS:).

Just now, Factory OC said:

You should. I'm going to install NFS:MW, I'd like to see how the IGPU keeps up. Going back to the golden days of NFS:).

NFSU2 is IMO the best one but MW is also pretty good. either way NFSU2 dosent like to play nice on my main computer so i just use the current Toaster Project PC as my NFSU2 slave lol

Builds:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

NFSU2 is IMO the best one but MW is also pretty good. either way NFSU2 dosent like to play nice on my main computer so i just use the current Toaster Project PC as my NFSU2 slave lol

Yeah, I think I'm going to join you. I have a copy of Underground 2. I'm going to install it now. Let's see if Windows 10 supports XP well...

I also have a old XP build, but I am too lazy to go pull it out...

I loved Carbon as well, but I must be the only one...

I'll pull that PC out when my laptop doesn't fare well like your main rig...

1 hour ago, Factory OC said:

Yeah, I think I'm going to join you. I have a copy of Underground 2. I'm going to install it now. Let's see if Windows 10 supports XP well...

I also have a old XP build, but I am too lazy to go pull it out...

I loved Carbon as well, but I must be the only one...

I'll pull that PC out when my laptop doesn't fare well like your main rig...

wow my FX5500 overclocked pretty nice, now i get way better framerates in game :D yay!

Builds:

Spoiler

Woah did I just go back in time?  AGP or PCI out of curiosity? lol

It's a big jump relatively speaking (I did a similar upgrade back in 2005).  I got an FX 5500 specifically for Doom 3, but a 6600 wrecked it.

9 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Woah did I just go back in time?  AGP or PCI out of curiosity? lol

It's a big jump relatively speaking (I did a similar upgrade back in 2005).  I got an FX 5500 specifically for Doom 3, but a 6600 wrecked it.

AGP :D the worst standart ever IMO. well i dont think il spend the $20 seeing as i overclocked it to run 500MHz memory and 320MHz core stabile(on a tiny passive heatsink lol) and that gave me quite a boost in preformance

Builds:

Spoiler

Go for 6600 GT or 7300 GT or 7600 GS, "GDDR3" versions only.

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

Just now, agent_x007 said:

Go for 6600 GT or 7300 GT or 7600 GS, "GDDR3" versions only.

none around. there is just this card. i cant use Ebay, it needs to be AGP, better then an FX 5500 and it needs to not need a 6pin connector. with those criteria there is just this card on the market. if i could go with PCI-e i could have just dropped in my 8800GT but nope, its a shitty AGP slot on the motherboard :( 

Builds:

Spoiler

All cards I mentioned, can be bought in AGP version :)
AGP cards can't have 6-pin, because they usually predate those :D
You can get higher end AGP cards with Molex (or two).

That 6600 LE is 128-bit/256MB DDR1/DDR2 ?
What about HD 2600 Pro AGP ?

Just now, agent_x007 said:

All cards I mentioned, can be bought in AGP version :)

yes, please show me where to buy a 7600 GS new in Sweden for a resonable price -_- the only card i could think of getting new would be a Radeon 3450 seeing as they are about $50. 

6 minutes ago, agent_x007 said:

That 6600 LE is 128-bit/256MB DDR1/DDR2 ?

DDR1 128bit 256MB. its a WinFast card with probably the uggliest cooler i have seen lol

Builds:

Spoiler

Sweden sucks for second hand stuff :(
I'm guessing this is the one : LINK ?
In that case, 6600 LE 128-bit/256MB will be fine upgrade from FX 5500 AGP.

PS. Can you do a 3DMark 01 SE and 3DMark 03 run on that 5500 ?

2 minutes ago, agent_x007 said:

Sweden sucks for second hand stuff :(
I'm guessing this is the one : LINK ?

thats the one

2 minutes ago, agent_x007 said:

In that case, 6600 LE 128-bit/256MB will be fine upgrade from FX 5500 AGP.

how much of an improvement would i see do you think? from what i have seen specs wise there isnt much going for it and now that i overclocked my FX 5500 im doubting the need for an upgrade even.

4 minutes ago, agent_x007 said:

PS. Can you do a 3DMark 01 SE and 3DMark 03 run on that 5500 ?

il gladly do the benchmarks for you, do you want them run at stock or my overclock of 500MHz memory and 320MHz core? what do you want open to validate them(CPU-Z tabs, GPU-Z tabs and so on)?

the system specs are listed in the Toaster Project thread:

Builds:

Spoiler

Without OC, if you could, please.
I got 5500 FX PCI and 6200 PCI and want to see if they are b'necked by PCI slot (that is PCI, NOT PCI-e).

Newest GPU-z can glitch/crash PC, so I recommend running GPU-z 7.2 for old GPU's like this ones.

Here are my scores, FX 5500 :58f4f1879ed89_3DMark01SEmini.thumb.png.dd087561396cee1fd320f8be29f1520d.png58f4f18d02a74_3DMark03mini.png.7f64ac48c07a86ff938f2a77433772e5.png

And 6200 PCI :
58f4f194614ad_3DMark01SEmini.thumb.png.6db89f46a79517edf6bb831d9bf7fbcd.png58f4f1960860c_3DMark03mini.png.a4fe886997aeb51203726cbb33a935f6.png

PS. In Poland you get 2600 Pro AGP for ~12$ : LINK.

3 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

AGP :D the worst standart ever IMO. well i dont think il spend the $20 seeing as i overclocked it to run 500MHz memory and 320MHz core stabile(on a tiny passive heatsink lol) and that gave me quite a boost in preformance

I still have a AGP card, the ATI Radeon 1400x, I believe. It has 256mb of video memory, that's all I know,