Air or Liquid ?

idenline

hi , i have an Asus Prime Z270-A motherboard , i5-6600k CPU , MSI GTX 1070 GPU in a Be Quiet Silent Base 600 Window and im curious what would with better for cpu cooling,  Air or AIO ?

was thinking at Air Cooling Cooler Master MasterAir Maker 8 or Liquid Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 or Kraken 61 maybe ? not sure what to chose or maybe other brand that fits better ?

Air is quiter than liquid but liquid is cooler than air

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

I would argue this but it's really circumstantial. In my personal setup liquid is exponentially quieter than air.

I'd go with an x61 for ultimate value

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

7 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

With all the hurricanes we have down here, I can safely say "debunked"...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I would argue this but it's really circumstantial. In my personal setup liquid is exponentially quieter than air.

i know but if you compare numbers (which wouldn't be matter much) you'd see the difference. 

At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference and what you're trying to get out of it.

Air coolers are generally more reliable and high-end air coolers like from Noctua can actually compete with some low end watercooling equipment while being quiet.

AIO coolers are generally safe but that may be a lie. AIO's can have pumps fail, leak or even burst (I'm not trying to discourage you. Just letting you know what can happen) but depending on what you buy they can operate quieter than Air coolers and yield better results particularly if you're an overclocker.

I'm not going to tell you what you SHOULD get but rather clarify your options a little to help you reach your own conclusion.

If you can afford it, X62.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

i know but if you compare numbers (which wouldn't be matter much) you'd see the difference. 

I do see where you're coming from. If I compared the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO to the Corsair H100i I can say the fans included in the Corsair kit are very loud. More so than the coolermaster's for the Hyper 212.

23 minutes ago, idenline said:

hi , i have an Asus Prime Z270-A motherboard , i5-6600k CPU , MSI GTX 1070 GPU in a Be Quiet Silent Base 600 Window and im curious what would with better for cpu cooling,  Air or AIO ?

was thinking at Air Cooling Cooler Master MasterAir Maker 8 or Liquid Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 or Kraken 61 maybe ? not sure what to chose or maybe other brand that fits better ?

It really does depend on several variables such as efficiency, risk, cost, etc. Sure with an air cooler there's no risk and they're generally cheaper than an AIO cooler. However, performance wise an AIO can generally keep your CPU much cooler however just because water will keep your CPU temps down for the first 30 minutes doesn't guarantee a stagnating result of temps for using an AIO cooler. It can take longer for an AIO cooler to cool down than one of an air cooler. I wouldn't suggest picking the x61 since it's quite loud. The x62 is really nice with the customisation of RGB but for the price tag i wouldn't suggest it, since it's also closely matched with the x61 performance. See the videos below:

Skip to: 3:30

Learn more about AIO coolers and Air from this video:

For me it's air 100% of the time when you aren't going costum loop.

the risk of anything leaking with an Aio is just too big for me considering that the performance you can get with a NH-D15 is close, if not equal to an Aio without any risks at all.

On 4/16/2017 at 7:48 PM, Windows7ge said:

Both methods of cooling uses fans. With the same fans being used, the only difference in noise is additional from the pump for liquid cooling.

In regards to the OP, the x62 handily beats the Maker 8 in performance. I don't see the point in getting such an expensive cooler for an i5 though. You might as well the money towards an i7 instead or get better value with a cheaper cooler.

@idenline What are you looking for in a cooler?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.