Does the Nintendo Switch store game updates for physical copies of games on the cartridge or on an sd card if you have one?

Bleedingyamato

I had put in an sd card before I first turned on my Switch in case that matters.  

When I put in Breath of the Wild I checked for an update and there was one so I downloaded it but now idk if it's on the cartridge, system memory, or sd card.  

I don't think it's on the sd card since you can see when Setsuna is selected that the bar on the sd card gets highlighted to show where it's located.  

But it when I select Zelda I don't see anything on either bar.  There's an update which I believe is the 162MB but it's driving me nuts trying to figure out where the Breath of the Wild update ended up.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It stores all updates to the SD card. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Seriously? Nintendo did something the non-propriety? Or do they charge the store a percentage for each file moved ;) .

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

9 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Then why doesn't it seem to show that?

It's clear where Setsuna is but not the Zelda update.  

If it's anything like the 3ds it stores on the system memory or the SD card.

Took a quick look on Switch sub reddit and according to the people there as well it stores on your system/SD card.

19 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Then why doesn't it seem to show that?

It's clear where Setsuna is but not the Zelda update.  

When you receive an update it will show you the number of blocks that are on the install location, IIRC. It doesn't make much sense to put the updates on the cartridge itself.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

19 minutes ago, AG1233 said:

If it's anything like the 3ds it stores on the system memory or the SD card.

Took a quick look on Switch sub reddit and according to the people there as well it stores on your system/SD card.

Ok.  Thank you.  

But but then why does it highlight the bar for the sd card when I look at Setsuna but not for Zelda?

12 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

When you receive an update it will show you the number of blocks that are on the install location, IIRC. It doesn't make much sense to put the updates on the cartridge itself.

This doesn't use "blocks" (never understood what a block was supposed to mean anyway) it uses MB and GB.  ?

Why wouldn't it make sense?  On PS4 and Xbox One updates just get incorporated into the game files don't they?

Just now, Bleedingyamato said:

This doesn't use "blocks" (never understood what a block was supposed to mean anyway) it uses MB and GB.  ?

I have no idea what a block equates to. 

Just now, Bleedingyamato said:

Why wouldn't it make sense?  On PS4 and Xbox One updates just get incorporated into the game files don't they?

That's because the games are usually on the HDD and can be brought to use at any time. The cartridges aren't 64GB SD cards with the game being 10GB.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Ok.  Thank you.  

But but then why does it highlight the bar for the sd card when I look at Setsuna but not for Zelda?

I actually don't think I can answer that since I don't have the switch a reason I can think of it is happening is since the update size is pretty small so it doesn't highlight the bar.

5 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

The Ps4 and the Xbox one also keeps the update file on HDD they are not put onto the game dics.

5 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I have no idea what a block equates to. 

1 block = 128kb

1 minute ago, AG1233 said:

1 block = 128kb

KB or Kb?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

KB or Kb?

Kb

KB

@ARikozuM just double checked and it was KB,Kilobytes not kilobits sorry for the misinformation.

Nintendo must do compression TO THE EXTREME! really well.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

On 4/16/2017 at 7:14 PM, crzyces said:

Seriously? Nintendo did something the non-propriety? Or do they charge the store a percentage for each file moved ;) .

Nintendo has been pretty good with storage options on their systems the last few years, with both Wii and Wii U supporting SD cards, the Wii U supporting off the shelf USB hard drives, and every DS/3DS model from the DSi supporting SD/MicroSD cards. The only annoyance is that we can't transfer saves from the internal storage to the SD card and vice versa.

I'm really surprised (and glad) the Switch uses USB-C for it's charging capabilities.

5 hours ago, linkboy said:

Nintendo has been pretty good with storage options on their systems the last few years, with both Wii and Wii U supporting SD cards, the Wii U supporting off the shelf USB hard drives, and every DS/3DS model from the DSi supporting SD/MicroSD cards. The only annoyance is that we can't transfer saves from the internal storage to the SD card and vice versa.

I'm really surprised (and glad) the Switch uses USB-C for it's charging capabilities.

Why is it using C good?

No offense but if it had been micro USB I wouldn't have needed to buy a USB-C cable to use my Switch with one of my Anker battery packs.  

Things like the Wii U supporting external HDDs and being able to use sd cards on the various Nintendo consoles is very nice I agree. 

On 4/16/2017 at 8:14 PM, crzyces said:

Both the 3DS and Wii U stored updates on SD/USB.

3 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Why is it using C good?

No offense but if it had been micro USB I wouldn't have needed to buy a USB-C cable to use my Switch with one of my Anker battery packs.  

Things like the Wii U supporting external HDDs and being able to use sd cards on the various Nintendo consoles is very nice I agree. 

If they used micro USB then it would take way longer to charge.  5V versus up to 20V.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

9 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

If they used micro USB then it would take way longer to charge.  5V versus up to 20V.

Not with the battery pack at least.  The power brick for the Switch seems to indicate that it uses 5V and 1.5A when undocked.  

All but one of my Anker battery packs can output at least a max of 2A so the Switch charges slower than they are technically capable of.  

Anyway, my point is it wouldn't take longer to charge the Switch using micro USB since 5V 1.5A is similar to other devices like my iPad Air.

When docked it uses 15V and 2.6A so that's closer to the 20V limit you mention.

So if micro USB would have prevented the added input while docked then yes you are correct.  

21 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

"

On 4/16/2017 at 9:14 PM, crzyces said:

I was making fun, as they love to use proprietary things like apple, and do ridiculous things, like if a YouTuber reviews one of their games, promotes THEIR product and gets thousands upon thousands of people to watch what is essentially a free long fanboy commercial FOR NINTENDO, Nintendo, being such a consumer friendly company, takes any money they make from said video. Douchebags.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

31 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Not with the battery pack at least.  The power brick for the Switch seems to indicate that it uses 5V and 1.5A when undocked.  

All but one of my Anker battery packs can output at least a max of 2A so the Switch charges slower than they are technically capable of.  

Anyway, my point is it wouldn't take longer to charge the Switch using micro USB since 5V 1.5A is similar to other devices like my iPad Air.

When docked it uses 15V and 2.6A so that's closer to the 20V limit you mention.

So if micro USB would have prevented the added input while docked then yes you are correct.  

The battery pack only outputs 5V for compatibility, but by using a type-C cable they get much faster dock charging.  It sucks having to get a new cable, but they weren't just trying to be annoying.

24 minutes ago, crzyces said:

"

I was making fun, as they love to use proprietary things like apple, and do ridiculous things, like if a YouTuber reviews one of their games, promotes THEIR product and gets thousands upon thousands of people to watch what is essentially a free long fanboy commercial FOR NINTENDO, Nintendo, being such a consumer friendly company, takes any money they make from said video. Douchebags.

I would argue that Nintendo is less proprietary-prone than other gaming systems now.  For example, the PS Vita used proprietary memory cards which were far more expensive, while the 3DS, Switch, Wii, and Wii U have all used inexpensive SD (or micro SD) cards.  Both the Wii U and Switch Pro controllers charge through mini USB ports, which Microsoft hasn't supported until the Xbox One.  The Switch is the only system that  can be charged via USB.

The Wii and Wii U even used DVD and Blu-ray discs for the games (respectively).  The only reason they didn't support playback is because they would have had to pay royalty fees (and Blu-ray is owned by Sony), which would have increased the price.  It would have worked, but it just wasn't in the firmware.  The Wii U already cost more to make than its selling price, so that wasn't really a good option for them, especially with everyone moving to streaming now.

The Youtube thing is completely unrelated to proprietary technology.  I don't like that they do that, but it's entirely beside the point.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

6 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

The battery pack only outputs 5V for compatibility, but by using a type-C cable they get much faster dock charging.  It sucks having to get a new cable, but they weren't just trying to be annoying.

I'd hope they weren't trying to be annoying.  lol

It wasn't that much but I got a nice Anker cable with I think it's nylon braiding or something so it'll last a long time without getting messed up. 

I just got the same style Anker cable (except a lightning cable in this case) for my friend since her iPhone charge cable somehow got damaged to the point of the IPhone not charging.

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

her iPhone charge cable somehow got damaged to the point of the IPhone not charging.

That's because that's what official iPhone cables do. xD

7 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

That's because that's what official iPhone cables do. xD

No Apple brand cable I have ever owned has broken on me.  I'm not kidding.  I have or had (might've gotten rid of it when the ipod broke) 1-2 Apple 30-pin cables from like 2004-2005 that still worked a couple years ago when I got an ipod touch and around the same time my first iPhone. 

Maybe I'm just lucky or take better care of my stuff?  Idk.

I just figured if my friend is having bad luck with their Apple cables that I'd try to get them a more durable cable they can't ruin so easily.  lol

13 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Why is it using C good?

• USB Type-C supports more plug-ins and out than Micro-USB before it breaks... substantially more (assuming perfect insert each time). Micro-USB (and Mini-USB) was NEVER designed for smartphones. It was designed for digital cameras, where you have this connectors that you occasional plug things in. Smartphone manufacture adds things to make more solid, but still breaks.

• USB Type-C is more solid, will survive hits and plug pulls.

• USB Type-C is also reservable, making it easier for consumers including kids to plug things without breaking things.

• USB Type-C is USB 3.0 (or 3.1... although some manufactures loves to screw people over and save a buck by using 2.0), is certified to pass audio and video signal or any packet based signal such as Thunderbolt (Nintendo uses it for video/audio, as you can guess). Micro-USB is limited to USB 2.0, the pins (and the lack thereof) doesn't allow greater bandwidth for USB 3.0 or 3.1.

• Lastly, as mentioned Type-C supports more Amps and Voltage (up to 5 Amps, 20V, 100W). A side note of warning. If you have a high-powered system that uses USB Type-C for charging or operating, where it passes the 3 Amps, you can't use any USB Type-C cable, you need to use cable designed to carry out the additional current, just mentioning for personal knowledge. This added Amps and Voltage allows for fast charging (faster than before, assuming the manufacture decides to supports it. Of course, higher capacity battery means more charge time).

So it is a definitely a nice connector. If you noticed, many battery banks can't charge the Switch while being used. As most assumes a Micro-USB powered phone. Or if it has USB Type-C, it only really needs 1.3Amp, 5V to charge fine, and the video/audio signal is used as well, so the selection of this connector is perfect for the system. The only alternative is a proprietor connector. Great chances that your current or next smartphone will be powered by USB Type-C. Your next desktop and your current or next laptop will have at least 1 USB Type-C.

19 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:
  • USB Type-C supports more plug-ins and out than Micro-USB before it breaks... substantially more (assuming perfect insert each time). Micro-USB (and Mini-USB) was NEVER designed for smartphones. It was designed for digital cameras, where you have this connectors that you occasional plug things in. Smartphone manufacture adds things to make more solid, but still breaks.

• USB Type-C is more solid, will survive hits and plug pulls.

• USB Type-C is also reservable, making it easier for consumers including kids to plug things without breaking things.

• USB Type-C is USB 3.0 (or 3.1... although some manufactures loves to screw people over and save a buck by using 2.0), is certified to pass audio and video signal or any packet based signal such as Thunderbolt (Nintendo uses it for video/audio, as you can guess). Micro-USB is limited to USB 2.0, the pins (and the lack thereof) doesn't allow greater bandwidth for USB 3.0 or 3.1.

• Lastly, as mentioned Type-C supports more Amps and Voltage (up to 5 Amps, 20V, 100W). A side note of warning. If you have a high-powered system that uses USB Type-C for charging or operating, where it passes the 3 Amps, you can't use any USB Type-C cable, you need to use cable designed to carry out the additional current, just mentioning for personal knowledge. This added Amps and Voltage allows for fast charging (faster than before, assuming the manufacture decides to supports it. Of course, higher capacity battery means more charge time).

So it is a definitely a nice connector. If you noticed, many battery banks can't charge the Switch while being used. As most assumes a Micro-USB powered phone. Or if it has USB Type-C, it only really needs 1.3Amp, 5V to charge fine, and the video/audio signal is used as well, so the selection of this connector is perfect for the system. The only alternative is a proprietor connector. Great chances that your current or next smartphone will be powered by USB Type-C. Your next desktop and your current or next laptop will have at least 1 USB Type-C.

So much info.  ?

Thank you.

In case it helps you or anyone you care to share this with I've been using this Anker battery pack with this Anker USB-C cable and it charges it while being used.

Works great.  Charges it and at the full speed the Switch can handle I'd assume since the battery supports a higher output max than the Switch input.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LQ7MQG6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3NB6FB/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Love the cable btw.  It's a really nice cable.  

My computer has a type C port on the rear I/O I believe.  Haven't used it yet though.  

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

So much info.  ?

Thank you.

In case it helps you or anyone you care to share this with I've been using this Anker battery pack with this Anker USB-C cable and it charges it while being used.

Works great.  Charges it and at the full speed the Switch can handle I'd assume since the battery supports a higher output max than the Switch input.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LQ7MQG6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3NB6FB/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Love the cable btw.  It's a really nice cable.  

My computer has a type C port on the rear I/O I believe.  Haven't used it yet though.  

Hey! Thanks a lot! :)

I was looking for all this when I get the system.