Is it fake?

COTG

Hey guys,

I am currently trying to build myself my first gaming pc however I have noticed that since i am living in china it is actually extremely hard to find reliable and cheap components.

Just today I went to one of my local electronic stores and found a gtx 1080 hof that was selling for a reasonable price, around 550$ when converted. My question is if this card is real or fake. Sorry for the bad quality pictures, if you need more or of special parts please do not hesistate to tell me as I will go back and take some more :)

I really appreciate all your help as I would hate to pay this much money just to realize that I had been ripped off.

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

FullSizeRender 4.jpg

FullSizeRender 5.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

3 minutes ago, COTG said:

Hey guys,

I am currently trying to build myself my first gaming pc however I have noticed that since i am living in china it is actually extremely hard to find reliable and cheap components.

Just today I went to one of my local electronic stores and found a gtx 1080 hof that was selling for a reasonable price, around 550$ when converted. My question is if this card is real or fake. Sorry for the bad quality pictures, if you need more or of special parts please do not hesistate to tell me as I will go back and take some more :)

I really appreciate all your help as I would hate to pay this much money just to realize that I had been ripped off.

It's real, just branded by a other company. 

Just now, lots of unexplainable lag said:

The card itself is real. If that one's working, that's up to you to test.

hmm ok :) 

they told me that I can take it home to benchmark, however that I will have to pay upfront, obviously ^_^.

Just worried that if it is not working, that next time I come back they will have magically disappeared :)

Just now, Factory OC said:

It's real, just branded by a other company. 

If you're gonna quote the OP, please remove the pictures next time

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

ok thanks! do either of you have any experience with this card and on its performance?

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

If you're gonna quote the OP, please remove the pictures next time

Oh sorry, I always forget to, thanks.

Just now, COTG said:

hmm ok :) 

they told me that I can take it home to benchmark, however that I will have to pay upfront, obviously ^_^.

Just worried that if it is not working, that next time I come back they will have magically disappeared :)

is this a brick and mortar store? how can they disappear? ^_^^_^^_^

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

is this a brick and mortar store? how can they disappear? ^_^^_^^_^

its a large chinese mall with many different stores ^^

seems pretty shady all in all, and a relative of mine had a similar experience when he bought a display from such a store, went home and found out it wasnt working and tried to return it only to notice the shop was gone :D 

2 minutes ago, COTG said:

its a large chinese mall with many different stores ^^

seems pretty shady all in all, and a relative of mine had a similar experience when he bought a display from such a store, went home and found out it wasnt working and tried to return it only to notice the shop was gone :D 

damn lol.

well it seems like a pretty legit price. in the US GTX 1080s sell for $500, sometimes a bit less if you can find a good deal, so the price seems right.

it is a risk though.

maybe bring your PC to the store tomorrow, and test if it works?

or maybe just come back in a week and see if the store still exists?

Desktop:

Laptop:

You don't have a reputable online store or transport to hk? That sucks. I think you will have better luck on Chinese social media

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

8 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

damn lol.

well it seems like a pretty legit price. in the US GTX 1080s sell for $500, sometimes a bit less if you can find a good deal, so the price seems right.

it is a risk though.

maybe bring your PC to the store tomorrow, and test if it works?

or maybe just come back in a week and see if the store still exists?

haha still in the process of building the computer, dont have a single component so far.

Ill probably like you suggested build everything first and bring it since it is not very far away from my house and that is the most foolproof method of testing it!

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

You don't have a reputable online store or transport to hk? That sucks. I think you will have better luck on Chinese social media

online stores are sadly the least reputable, at least as far as I have heard, unless you have had personal experience with them. Sadly I know of none which are known to be safe.
Problem with hk is that the chinese government would tax any electronic good taken over to mainland china, so therefore the price of this build would skyrocket

3 minutes ago, COTG said:

online stores are sadly the least reputable, at least as far as I have heard, unless you have had personal experience with them. Sadly I know of none which are known to be safe.
Problem with hk is that the chinese government would tax any electronic good taken over to mainland china, so therefore the price of this build would skyrocket

I forgot to mention I would not buy that card

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

I forgot to mention I would not buy that card

can you explain why? is it just because of the store, or the actual card itself

Just now, COTG said:

can you explain why? is it just because of the store, or the actual card itself

Look at the exposed screws. Looks like a crappy like a Chinese knock off. Also a real store should show you it working in the store

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

15 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Look at the exposed screws. Looks like a crappy like a Chinese knock off. Also a real store should show you it working in the store

nah look at the product page.

exposed screws are still there

http://www.galax.com/en/graphics-card/hof/galax-geforcer-gtx-1080-hof-172.html

i have no doubt it's a legit Galaxy HOF card, it's just a risk to buy, as it may not be working.

Desktop:

Laptop:

45 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

nah look at the product page.

exposed screws are still there

http://www.galax.com/en/graphics-card/hof/galax-geforcer-gtx-1080-hof-172.html

i have no doubt it's a legit Galaxy HOF card, it's just a risk to buy, as it may not be working.

probably a stupid question but why is the backplate on the hof I took pictures of black while on the website it is demonstrated as white? are they different editions-models?

1 hour ago, COTG said:

probably a stupid question but why is the backplate on the hof I took pictures of black while on the website it is demonstrated as white? are they different editions-models?

from the pictures, the backplate looks white to me.

whaddaya mean?

Desktop:

Laptop:

If it is a fake, it is a very good fake.

AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D \ Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite \  32GB 3600 G.SKILL Neo \  Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC \  Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo \  NVMe 2TB Samsung 990 Pro, SATA 4TB Samsung 970 Evo  \  WINDOWS 11 PRO 

It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be. ~Publius Vergilius Maro circa 50BC