Samsung 960 evo or Pro?

orcanice

So im going to get a m.2 for my pc.. but im unsure if i should go for the 500gb evo or the 512gb pro... i can't really figure out the diffrence. so maybe one of you could guide me on the right path.. 

thanks.

pro is faster than evo but more expensive

if you can afford it go for pro

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

5 vs 10 year warranty. 10 year warranty is pointless. You will be replacing the drive in 5 years anyway when you run out of space. I have a set of enterprise drives still under warranty but my use has outgrown their size. They will last forever but I can't really use them as they are too small now.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

pro series of samsung ssd's have more endurance aka write cycles, so it will last u more in the long run, also some perimeters of the pro have very slight increased speeds that you won't notice at all

I'd go for the EVO and pair it with a nice HDD with the saved 70 or 80 USD.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

pro is faster than evo but more expensive

if you can afford it go for pro

Are you sure it's worth it? 5 seconds to google it

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

i never said it was worth it :)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

That's the 850. OP is looking at 960 NVMe.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

That's the 850. OP is looking at 960 NVMe.

Same stuff all diff

www.anandtech.com/show/10698/samsung-announces-960-pro-and-960-evo-m2-pcie-ssds

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

The drive will mostly be used for OS, and then installed applications like (Office, PS, video tools, and stuff). All games and stuff are on a 2nd drive. So if theres any other suggestions than samsung, let me know :)

I think @Bleedingyamato can help you with that. He has a 960 Pro. I know at the moment that the 960 Pro is the fastest consumer SSD at the moment but do you actually need that much speed? The 500 GB 960 Evo is priced at $260 whereas the 960 Pro 512 GB is at $329. I think you're better off with the Toshiba OCZ RD400 with 512 GB priced at $260. It may not be as fast as a 960 Pro but the speed isn't too shabby either with sequential read/write speeds of 2600 MB/s:1600 MB/s. There's also the Corsair Force MP500 at 480GB priced at $255.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Maybe spend 10 seconds next time and search for the right drives?

Like I said above the ego vs pro still has stuff all diff. Unfortunately 9 seconds is all I can afford www.anandtech.com/show/10698/samsung-announces-960-pro-and-960-evo-m2-pcie-ssds

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 minutes ago, orcanice said:

The drive will mostly be used for OS, and then installed applications like (Office, PS, video tools, and stuff). All games and stuff are on a 2nd drive. So if theres any other suggestions than samsung, let me know :)

Go with Samsung. It's the least problematic NVMe drive with the most performance from my usage with the 600p, 950 PRO, 960 EVO & PRO, and one by OCZ (that I don't want to talk about).

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Just go with the evo its has reasonably similar speeds for quite a bit less. 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

23 minutes ago, orcanice said:

Don't get an m.2 ssd then. For that stuff, you won't see any faster boot and load times than a sata ssd.

http://techreport.com/review/30993/samsung-960-evo-ssd-reviewed/5

Same story for a 960 pro. Just save some money and get an 850 evo instead. M.2 SSDs are only useful for large transfers and large reads and writes that happen when doing stuff like video encoding.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I have a 960 pro I won't jump into the which ones better other than to say I have both and the pro is ripping fast, do I see appreciable gains in load times can't say as I removed the evo before this posted but I get:

CDM_20170416104603.txt

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

16 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Don't get an m.2 ssd then. For that stuff, you won't see any faster boot and load times than a sata ssd.

http://techreport.com/review/30993/samsung-960-evo-ssd-reviewed/5

Same story for a 960 pro. Just save some money and get an 850 evo instead. M.2 SSDs are only useful for large transfers and large reads and writes that happen when doing stuff like video encoding.

This is weird, but having cold booted from a pci m.2 ssd connected m.2 obviously sata, and good old scsi. I could not tell the difference between the first three just booting. On a restart reboot I notice a little on the pcie m.2. Photoshop, same thing regarding start up, but file transfers, holy moly. I do wonder with the latter, why they don't seem to speed games up much, since a decent amount of data is flying everywhere. Some say they do make a difference, some say they don't. I don't game on them so I wouldn't know. I'll let someone smarter than me answer that.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

4 minutes ago, crzyces said:

This is weird, but having cold booted from a pci m.2 ssd connected m.2 obviously sata, and good old scsi. I could not tell the difference between the first three just booting. On a restart reboot I notice a little on the pcie m.2. Photoshop, same thing regarding start up, but file transfers, holy moly. I do wonder with the latter, why they don't seem to speed games up much, since a decent amount of data is flying everywhere. Some say they do make a difference, some say they don't. I don't game on them so I wouldn't know. I'll let someone smarter than me answer that.

If I may quote @M.Yurizaki:

Loading an OS or application involves loading a lot of small files. This depends a bit more on the random 4K performance of  the storage drive than the sequential one. Also there can be a lot of CPU activity going on because things have to initialize. Loading a program isn't just "transfer from storage to RAM", it's also "do stuff until the program is in a usable state"

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

If I may quote @M.Yurizaki:

That's what I was guessing about the OS. OK, it has the data but Windows still has to execute A-Z anyway. I guess it would be the same reason for gaming then? GPU and CPU get info faster, but still have to execute said instructions, regardless of how quickly they have the info?

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

8 minutes ago, crzyces said:

That's what I was guessing about the OS. OK, it has the data but Windows still has to execute A-Z anyway. I guess it would be the same reason for gaming then? GPU and CPU get info faster, but still have to execute said instructions, regardless of how quickly they have the info?

I would assume so, as loading apps and games doesn't benefit from m.2 SSDs.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 hours ago, orcanice said:

Samsung is the best option so far as I know.  Pretty sure it's considered and shown to be the best for SSDs.  

I do have both a 960 Evo and a 960 Pro but only the Pro is being used atm since I'm saving the 960 Evo for a future planned build.  

So far as I can tell it's very nice but I hadn't thought to run any benchmarks before switching to it from my 850 Pro so I can't be any help from a real world comparison standpoint sorry.  

The 960 Pro still makes my desktop boot up very fast vs a HDD and I like that it lets me add storage without taking up a drive bay.  

As others have said both the 960 Evo and Pro are very fast and the main difference is the write endurance.   Though from what I've been told even the Evo should last you plenty long enough and almost certainly you'd have moved on to your next build before it would risk dying.  

I mainly got the Pro because I tend to worry about things like my ssd dying even if it's not really anything to worry about so this way my mind wouldn't bug me about it.  ?

Long story short: if you have the extra money, want the ssd to last a very very long time, and want/need every bit of speed you can get to load a lot of programs at startup then get the 960 Pro.

If you want to save a bit of money, want a ssd that'll still very likely last you past building your next desktop, with very nearly the same crazy fast speed then get the 960 Evo.  

Or if you don't specifically want/need an M.2 ssd then I'd suggest an 850 Pro.  It's still much faster than an HDD, has that Pro level of write endurance, and is cheaper than a 960 Evo or Pro.   

Edit: To be 100% homest I'm not sure I can tell a difference between the 850 Pro I had been using for my OS drive vs the 960 Pro I'm using now.  

Idk if I just don't notice things like this as easily as others, maybe my use case means I don't see an improvement since the 850 Pro was already very fast, or maybe it's because I used Samsung's data migration utility to clone my 850 Pro to my 960 Pro and it's something related to that.

Don't get me wrong I don't regret getting a 960 Pro.  I just don't perceive a difference.  But I also haven't really paid that close attention to see if there is one.  

2 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

I think @Bleedingyamato can help you with that. He has a 960 Pro. I know at the moment that the 960 Pro is the fastest consumer SSD at the moment but do you actually need that much speed? The 500 GB 960 Evo is priced at $260 whereas the 960 Pro 512 GB is at $329. I think you're better off with the Toshiba OCZ RD400 with 512 GB priced at $260. It may not be as fast as a 960 Pro but the speed isn't too shabby either with sequential read/write speeds of 2600 MB/s:1600 MB/s. There's also the Corsair Force MP500 at 480GB priced at $255.

You're right I'd say: both the 960 Evo and Pro are overkill for many people from what I've been told.    Though the M.2 form factor is rather nice.  Added storage without a sata ssd taking up a drive bay.  

So for some people using M.2 could be about more than just getting faster ssd speeds.  

That being said at least for an OS drive I'd say OP (anyone really) should stick with Samsung.  When that's where your OS is running off of I think having the most reliable ssd brand is a wise investment in the stability/reliability of your computer.

I'd be fine using other brands for additional storage though.  In fact I have a small Sandisk ssd I have games on.  Works fine so far as I can tell.    

2 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Go with Samsung. It's the least problematic NVMe drive with the most performance from my usage with the 600p, 950 PRO, 960 EVO & PRO, and one by OCZ (that I don't want to talk about).

This OP.  This.   ?

Edited by Bleedingyamato