Which Windows operating system is the most hated in history?

Which operating system made by Microsoft is the most hated?  

418 members have voted

1. 1. Which one did you despised the most?

• Windows Me (Millennium Edition)
    • Windows Vista
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 10
    • Some other Windows version/s (specify which one in the comments)

@Alir

"Another thing which I have only recently found out is that a lot of games do not work on Windows 10 due to drm:"

I would suggest either looking up game sellers that sell images (ie like GOG.com maybe Amazon has a digital download version)

or downloading the NO-CD EXE file from somewhere if you have the original disc image.

I have a game called FreeLancer currently working on windows 10 no hassles.

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:21 PM, jpenguin said:

I think vista was hated a little more than Mistake Edition

The forums would ten to agree with you as of right now. lol

Voted for Vista myself because of how it was such a resource hog.

What I found funny back then though was that when Windows 7 was released a lot of comments were made about it being how Vista should have been.

CPU: Sempron 2500+ / P4 2.8E / P4 2.6C / A64 x2 4000+ / E6420 / E8500 / i5-3470 / i7-3770
GPU: TNT2 M64 / Radeon 9000 / MX 440-SE / 7300GT / Radeon 4670 / GTS 250 / Radeon 7950 / 660 Ti

• 3 weeks later...

I honestly hated 8. Windows 8.1 fixed it a bit with a Start button but.. I mean you had to drag the mouse to corners! And programs like chrome would have a "normal" mode and a "windows 8" mode where it would be full screen and it was confusing and unfamiliar to a lot of users.

One thing I have noticed with the last few versions of windows is they are killing customization.

I remember how fun it was to customize Vista and 7... Good days. You could change themes, make custom gadgets, and I liked the way sticky notes used to work before windows ink. Ahh.. those were fun days.

Vista was not really a resource hog. It just didn't run well on old hardware and unfortunately because it was such a big architecture change, decent driver support was completely lackluster. If you had a modern multi thread processor, and a modern GPU like a Nvidia 8xxx/9xxx series or AMD 2xxx series it ran perfectly fine. 

ME was the real failure from Microsoft that had no reason to exist. 

They had launched Windows 98SE only a year earlier which was rock solid for their old 9x architecture, and they released Windows 2000 Professional for their NT architecture in the same year. The only reason to have launched ME was to keep their name relevant while they were developing XP.

It was basically 98 packaged with more media utilities (that already existed standlone), a few extra games and utilities like windows restore from Whistler (the XP beta), but extremely unstable and never received a proper service pack to fix the issues...they essentially just dropped it once XP was RTM. 

It was such absolute trash I used Whistler from Alpha which was more stable. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

Liked Windows 10 when it was first released when it was stable and have little to no noticeable bug, but lately, Windows 10 is getting worse in terms of bug from the major bug that deletes your files(my laptop was affected), to windows deactivating itself(my laptop wasn't affected - running windows 10 home single language) but doesn't this show the quality of the OS degrading? Is the windows insider program comparable to Apple public beta program? 

No preference over windows 7,8,8.1,10 as I only used those OS so far but kind of starting to hate the bugs of windows 10 

95 was cool - but mostly broken

Loved 98

Never had ME

bought Vista - went back to 98

Got 7 - pretty great - small increase in bloat - could be removed

Never had 8 / 8.1

Upgraded 7 to 10. Loads of bloat, OS reduced to lowest common denominator idiot proofing which removed customisation. I tolerate it as there isn't any real alternative. 

9900K  / Asus Maximus Formula XI / 32Gb G.Skill RGB 4266mHz / 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus & 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / EVGA 3090 FTW3.

2 loops : XSPC EX240 + 2x RX360 (CPU + VRMs) / EK Supremacy Evo & RX480 + RX360 (GPU) / Optimus W/B. 2 x D5 pumps / EK Res

8x NF-A2x25s, 14 NF-F12s and a Corsair IQ 140 case fan / CM HAF Stacker 945 / Corsair AX 860i

LG 38GL950G & Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Duckyshine 6 YOTR / Logitech G502 / Thrustmaster Warthog & TPR / Blue Yeti / Sennheiser HD599SE / Astro A40s

Valve Index, Knuckles & 2x Lighthouse V2

Windows, Fucking, 10

Do not try to tell me otherwise. 

That shit forces propietary shit down your throat while trying to 'persuade' you to not install non microshit bullshit by pushing fear into people who are your average joe. and it hurts my eyes

Sadness is the one true emotion, and happiness, well, that's just a lie, sadness is all many of us feel, and is all we need to feel, because having it any other way, would just be wrong, why be happy when you can just be miserable like myself.