Which Windows operating system is the most hated in history?

Which operating system made by Microsoft is the most hated?  

418 members have voted

1. 1. Which one did you despised the most?

• Windows Me (Millennium Edition)
    • Windows Vista
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 10
    • Some other Windows version/s (specify which one in the comments)

38 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Take a look at your privacy settings sometime. There's even a key logger built into Windows 10. You can disable it (along with most of the other data mining functions), but it's all on by default.

I do take a look at my privacy settings. The keylogger is for Cortana, since it utilizes Bing and is an internet-enabled function.

At install I disabled her and have disabled all of her keylogging things.

That's all folks!

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

2 hours ago, DaJakerBoss said:

IIRC they've completely removed DOS from Windows 10 so I'd say that's a large kernel change

I assume you mean command prompt (DOS is its own OS), and no, they didn't remove it. It's an integral part of the OS. You'd break millions, if not billions, of applications. All they did was push Powershell to the front so more people will use it.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

I assume you mean command prompt (DOS is its own OS), and no, they didn't remove it. It's an integral part of the OS. You'd break millions, if not billions, of applications. All they did was push Powershell to the front so more people will use it.

Nope I didn't say command prompt :)

I use that on the daily.

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

9 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Then you're still wrong, because DOS has never been in Windows.

Are you sure about that?

Ok, yes, I was wrong in a way, DOS hasn't been around since ME.

But, DOS was included in Windows up to that point, albeit packaged as DOS+Windows [Name]

Anything beyond that was NT, which is what all versions of Windows 10 are, all the way back to Windows 2000.

So yes, DOS has been in Windows, until it was removed

14 hours ago, DaJakerBoss said:

Are you sure about that?

Ok, yes, I was wrong in a way, DOS hasn't been around since ME.

But, DOS was included in Windows up to that point, albeit packaged as DOS+Windows [Name]

Anything beyond that was NT, which is what all versions of Windows 10 are, all the way back to Windows 2000.

So yes, DOS has been in Windows, until it was removed

Interesting.  When Windows ME was out I was pretty young.  I wasn't even allowed to touch the family computer then (now I'm the designated "free labor" technician in the family xD ).  I didn't realize it was layered on DOS.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

5 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Interesting.  When Windows ME was out I was pretty young.  I wasn't even allowed to touch the family computer then (now I'm the designated "free labor" technician in the family xD ).  I didn't realize it was layered on DOS.

I lived on XP. The memories, man. I installed software in the admin safe mode so I could play games lol

I have vague memories of 2000 on my family's older PC but it wasn't much lol.

Vista was a fantastic OS. Most of the bad rep it got was due to people not having the hardware for it, and not knowing how to find and install 3rd-party drivers.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

• 2 weeks later...

?? Why is windows 7 not there? 7 and 8 should be tied for worst. They were awful. Windows vista was better than both of them. Only reason Vista gets hate was because it required a decent PC to use and didn't allow much compatibility with windows XP or earlier software.

6 minutes ago, poochyena said:

?? Why is windows 7 not there? 7 and 8 should be tied for worst. They were awful. Windows vista was better than both of them. Only reason Vista gets hate was because it required a decent PC to use and didn't allow much compatibility with windows XP or earlier software.

Seriously? I feel Win 7 was the best of the bunch. Windows has been going downhill ever since.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 hour ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Seriously? I feel Win 7 was the best of the bunch. Windows has been going downhill ever since.

7 got rid of so many features that Vista had. A big one for me was the ability to re-arrange files how ever I wanted inside of folders. Can't do that with 7. Its been a long long since I used either, but I remember when I got a laptop with windows 7, I had a lot of issues with the changes. Windows 10 is my favorite OS though.

9 minutes ago, poochyena said:

7 got rid of so many features that Vista had. A big one for me was the ability to re-arrange files how ever I wanted inside of folders. Can't do that with 7. Its been a long long since I used either, but I remember when I got a laptop with windows 7, I had a lot of issues with the changes. Windows 10 is my favorite OS though.

Big deal. I just use creative file naming so they will sort the way I want, such as assigning a number at the beginning. Tagging can also be used for sorting. It allows me to have more than one way to sort the order of a list files.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

4 hours ago, poochyena said:

Yeah, Windows 7 did get rid of some cool Vista features. Though, Windows 7 also refined Vista in stability and driver support, and toned down UAC (I think?). 

Losing some of Vista's features isn't enough to get Windows 7 in the list of worst Windows OSes when no Windows OS after 7 has those features, either. So, if you think Win 7 is a "worst" Windows OS for that reason, then Windows 10 should be even more on that list for you, as Win 10 has even less of Vista's iconic features.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

• 2 weeks later...

Win10 hands down.

BSoDs were very nearly a thing of the past until Win10 came along.

We are rolling out Win10 to some of our systems (against my will and judgement, but I got overruled) and the number of "we're sorry, we fucked up because we can't code for shit" error messages I've seen is laughable.

I actually knew a guy who *liked* WInME. It was spooky.

I know the next version of Windows however:

The Small footprint of Windows CE

The friendliness of ME

The stability of NT

Windows CEMENT

(thank you, I'll be here all week)

And off topic, when Win7 stops getting support, I'll switch to Windows 9 (yes, you read that correctly....it exist)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Aside from the aforementioned privacy issues, WIndows 10 (starting back in 2014) was actually pretty decent. It was beta tested heavily, and its update releases were pretty well suited for most modern machines of the time. It also seemed to handle errors pretty well (at least from what I could tell). But, as time went on, it seems that the quality of subsequent updates tanked. The 1703 update was the last good one in my opinion, with 1709 being the beginning of the Windows-as-a-Service model (unofficially). In addition to this, Microsoft kinda broke a trend that they should have kept with - the simplification of the various Windows editions. They switched from:

• Windows 7 Starter
  • Windows 7 Home Basic
  • Windows 7 Home Premium
  • Windows 7 Professional
  • Windows 7 Ultimate
  • Windows 7 Enterprise

To this:

• Windows RT/10 Mobile (which replaced RT)
  • Windows 10 Home
  • Windows 10 Pro (and Pro for Workstations)
  • Windows 10 Enterprise (LTSB and CB - CBB is worthless)

And that would have worked pretty well, too - if they hadn't added in Windows 10 S, S Mode, and Education (along with the others). That was when licensing got murky for a bit. They initially were going to make it so that newer laptops could come with Windows 10 S, and you'd have to pay to upgrade to an actual Windows edition (above S). That was just one slip-up...

In general, anything after this was utter garbage, and caused issues and instabilities that are unbecoming of a company like Microsoft. I would list some of them here, but that would only derail the topic. 

TL;DR - Windows 10 was good until late 2017.

1 minute ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

It was beta tested heavily, and its update releases were pretty well suited for most modern machines of the time.

until now, all Windows 10 users are unpaid beta testersxD

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

• 1 month later...

IMO Windows 8 was great with additional program (Classic Shell) and 8.1 update, while Vista and ME were very unstable.

I use Windows 8.1 in every single Windows VM that I deploy for testing.

My vote goes to 10 cause its telemetry which I don't like, random restarts costed me unrecoverable 100 lines of code, metro apps (They are cancer, they keep coming back while on 8.1 I just disable them). I hate Win 10 and I will never go to that shi*ty OS.

I currently use virtualized Win 7 & Ubuntu 16.04.4 on unRAID 

I'm start hating win10, even if I use this system.

Today my windows says that is not activated and I must activate it. Again? After many months and updates? OMG, I just turn on updates again and few services that I blocked, because I like to update my system when I want, not when M$ decides to, restart computer, click Troubleshooting and after few seconds I get info that Windows was activated again. That's great news. What next? Windows becomes not activated again if I install programs that M$ doesn't like? Or when I change my UAC settings?

I'm really consider treating my system as pirated, use some activators and lot of programs that block every Microsoft crap and start using it like I want. Is it illegal when I use crack to my legally purchased system? :) I'm joking, but if M$ says again that I must activate the same system on the same machine, it may be too much.

• 1 month later...

I hated ME so much cause it would always crash but on the other hand I played Lego Island on it so I also have kinda fond memories lol

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

Just now, Nicnac said:

I hated ME so much cause it would always crash but on the other hand I played Lego Island on it so I also have kinda fond memories lol

I played with the games preloaded with Encarta Encyclopedia on CD-ROM xD

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 minute ago, captain_to_fire said:

I played with the games preloaded with Encarta Encyclopedia on CD-ROM xD

Those were the days when you actually had real games in cereal boxes

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

• 1 month later...

For me most hated OSes were Windows 8 and XP. XP was nest for antiviruses & ugliness. We were working in other companies and most infected computers were with XP. Then Vista came and those XP viruses weren't working on it, we upgraded PC's to Vista and problems were gone. I liked Vista. Sure it was resource hog and needed strong hardware, but it was more secure & pretty. I hated XP's ugly design. Vista was a huge improvement over XP in all aspects besides it was heavy for hardware in my opinion. On XP I remember installing OS almost every month. Windows 7 was nice improvement after Vista. But I still preferred Vista's taskbar design. My another hated OS was Windows 8. I hated it's Metro design so much... It was hideously frustrating. Couldn't stand it & I went back to 7, then they released Win 8.1, which was better. And then finally we got 10, which I think is best OS at this moment. Some people hate it because of telemetry, but I really don't care about it, I'm even open to share my experience with it to Microsoft & provide feedback. 

On 9/17/2018 at 10:41 AM, J.b091 said:

For me most hated OSes were Windows 8 and XP. XP was nest for antiviruses & ugliness. We were working in other companies and most infected computers were with XP. Then Vista came and those XP viruses weren't working on it, we upgraded PC's to Vista and problems were gone. I liked Vista. Sure it was resource hog and needed strong hardware, but it was more secure & pretty. I hated XP's ugly design. Vista was a huge improvement over XP in all aspects besides it was heavy for hardware in my opinion. On XP I remember installing OS almost every month. Windows 7 was nice improvement after Vista. But I still preferred Vista's taskbar design. My another hated OS was Windows 8. I hated it's Metro design so much... It was hideously frustrating. Couldn't stand it & I went back to 7, then they released Win 8.1, which was better. And then finally we got 10, which I think is best OS at this moment. Some people hate it because of telemetry, but I really don't care about it, I'm even open to share my experience with it to Microsoft & provide feedback. 

Two things I would like to note. How do you know the viruses were gone? The symptoms might have gone but the malware might have been stealing your info in the background whilst allowing you to continue normal use of the OS.

Another thing which I have only recently found out is that a lot of games do not work on Windows 10 due to drm: https://www.pcworld.com/article/2972271/software-games/windows-10-wont-run-some-older-cd-rom-games-thanks-to-drm.html

One of them being NFS Underground.