Which Windows operating system is the most hated in history?

Which operating system made by Microsoft is the most hated?  

418 members have voted

1. 1. Which one did you despised the most?

• Windows Me (Millennium Edition)
    • Windows Vista
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 10
    • Some other Windows version/s (specify which one in the comments)

Windows 98 was my first OS and i was just a little kid. uncle had it in his system and i occasionally played some games on it. XP is where my pc life started. it was beautiful and glorious and then Vista happened. i have never regretted anything soo much other than spending my saved money on buying the newly released and hyped oc VISTA ULTIMATE. 

And then switched over to Windows 7 (still using). The instant i switched over to windows 7 i knew that i have found the love of my life. By fat the best Windows OS ever released (At least for me)  

Windows 8 never had my attention and it was a meh OS for me. 

But now Windows 10, now that will be it for me for following reasons

• Forced updates
  • Forced restarts
  • Privacy issues 
  • Resetting user preferences (most annoying of all) 

Other than that windows 10 seems to be fine. I just really hate their forced updates and forced restarts like when i am in the middle of the work and cortana wants to restart the frigging computer NOT NOW CORTANA GOD DAMMIT I WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF CODING AND YOU BROKE MY WORK FLOW. 

I hate forced updates cause each update is HUGE and it eats into my bandwidth allocation and the biggest problem of all it just resets all my preferences and settings after every frigging update .. i mean come on WTF i though this is 2017 not 1990. 

I then need to spend an another hr or 2 trying to recollect all my preferences and setting them one by one. 

i'll tell you what.. if windows 7 supports DX12 then believe me am never going to switch to windows 10 ever. 

Microsoft in there infinite wisdom have decided to impose a VRAM cap for games the that use DX9 o.O. May God Bless them those whoever came up with that idea. :dry:

You're looking for something that does not, has not, will not, might not or must not exist ... ... but you're always welcome to search for it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/04/2017 at 10:48 AM, hey_yo_ said:

I was just reading this subreddit on why people seem to hate Windows 10. 

I haven't used Windows Me so no comment on that but I used Vista, 8/8.1, and 10, operating systems that garnered so much notoriety for being hated by its users. I remember hating Vista so much because of its asinine and ridiculous system requirements at the time, high memory usage and software quirks that just get in the way that I saved lunch money during college just to buy a legit DVD installer of Windows 7 Home Premium for my Dell Inspiron laptop back in 2009. However, because of a security feature in Vista, we have sandboxing built in to Google Chrome. Then with Windows 8, I actually liked the under the hood improvements it brought like faster boot times, longer battery life, native USB 3 support without the need of additional drivers, native ISO mounting, and improved memory management and enhanced security like built in Windows Defender and secure boot. I didn't liked the Metro/Modern UI which is definitely made for tablet PCs, notwithstanding the fact that a lot of PCs have traditional mice and keyboards and no touchscreen. To switch apps on Windows 8, you have to bring your cursor on the top left and move it down to bring the app switcher. In a touchscreen, you have to swipe from the from the left to the right and back out immediately just, and lastly to close an app, you have to grab the top with your mouse and drag it down. Microsoft quickly released Windows 8.1 which is meant to alleviate some of their users frustrations like the ability to boot directly to the desktop app and an option onhitting the Windows key to reveal the all apps list instead of the Start screen. 

When Windows 10 was announced, I was excited because it will finally bring back the Start Menu which in my opinion, the best app launcher for desktop/laptop computers. I was also excited that finally, they'll release Windows 10 as a free upgrade for people with legit Windows 7 and 8.1, following what Apple had been doing since OS X Mavericks via the Mac App Store. I think I have already spoken way too much on why I'm salty with Windows 10. I mean, I share similar Windows 10 sentiments as expressed by both @Slick and @LinusTech in their social media accounts. Here are a few examples: 

Just imagine if this happened to journalists with Surface Pros/Surface Books while attending a Microsoft BUILD conference. So much bad press. 

So if you're a college/grad school student working on your thesis/dissertation and this happens. So much flow of thoughts are interrupted and you'll probably never get back.

And then there's the issue of privacy. I think this video below pretty much summarizes the privacy problems even in Creators Update and the ramifications is somehow staggering which I concur wholeheartedly.

So what do you guys think? Is Windows 10 the most hated operating system or do you think people are complaining way too much and Windows 10 is not only their most tested Windows version ever (as claimed by Microsoft), it is also the best operating system out there. Please share your thoughts, rants, and opinions on why this version is the most hated one. 

I'll tell you why there is so much hate for Win10, because it litereally sucks. they gave it away for free because it is essentially a huge data mining tool for microsoft, and in order to stop them from taking your data you have to go through what i can personally describe and the computer equivalent to colonic irrigation. Sure Vista sucked but not because microsoft were trying to steal all yuor information but because it wasn't finished. And the worst part, if you didn't upgrade to Win10 then your stuck either on Win7 which although in my opinion a great OS no longer truly supported or with Win8/8.1 and I haven't used that one so I really can't give an informed opinion on that OS. But still this is the futurefuture where privacy is dead so #yayfortechnology. 

P.S I really like cookies.

People don't understand how ME is worse than Vista.

Crashed 24/7.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

39 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

Vista was to slow for crashing.

ME would first go halfway through a disk repair every time you started up, then blue screen.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

• 2 months later...

Loved ME. Never had any issues on it. Heck, I chose it instead of 98 for my 98 gaming rig (nostalgic reasons) and enabled real dos and it's been a treat. And yeah, Vista was shit, but Vista SP2 was actually really good. Still, it was too little too late.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

• 1 month later...

Windows XP was the best OS I had ever been on. I played GTA SA on my old laptop and remember putting a nail into the AUX input to actually get sound to work out of the speakers. Oh those days were the best. My most hated OS is Windows 8. The removal of the start menu did it for me and I despised it. I do have it on my main laptop which I am using right now, and with touch screen, it is decent but I loved Windows XP with all my heart. Will go back anyday if it had security updates and support from apps.

hi.

On 1/16/2018 at 10:32 PM, JDE said:

People don't understand how ME is worse than Vista.

Crashed 24/7.

After SP1, Vista was pretty great. It's barely any different from Windows 7.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

After SP1, Vista was pretty great. It's barely any different from Windows 7.

Windows 7 has TRIM support, Vista doesn't have it and Windows 7 won't even allow defragmenting SSDs. Also on supported hardware like a mobile Core 2 Duo + 3GB RAM, Windows 7's memory management is better than Vista and elements like Aero are smoother. 

9 minutes ago, AskTJ said:

My most hated OS is Windows 8. The removal of the start menu did it for me and I despised it.

I liked Windows 8.1. I think if Microsoft wasn't such a jackass in blocking Windows 8.1 installations on newer processors, I'd stick to it. In fact, Luke's personal gaming PC is running on 8.1. Updates are less obtrusive and can be postponed and memory management is better with 8.1 than 10. Somehow Windows 10 has gained the notoriety of Samsung's TouchWiz that adds half baked features that no one uses but also cripples performance and user experience.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Windows Me were by far the worst with a ton of issues which never got fixed. On the other hand, Vista, while on the beginning sucked, with their last service pack they were very close to windows 7 with most crucial issues fixed.

12 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Windows 7 has TRIM support, Vista doesn't have it and Windows 7 won't even allow defragmenting SSDs. Also on supported hardware like a mobile Core 2 Duo + 3GB RAM, Windows 7's memory management is better than Vista and elements like Aero are smoother. 

I didn't say there were no improvements to Windows 7.  Expecting support for things like TRIM in Vista is like expecting it in Windows 98. There weren't consumer SSD's available when Vista came out.

Windows 7 is based on Windows Vista. We never would have had Windows 7 if not for Vista. All of the driver issues and increased resource usage from Windows Vista exists in Windows 7. Hardware and software just had time to adapt to it. Another huge complaint was UAC. That hasn't gone away either.  Windows 7 is Windows Vista SP1 with a few modern additions and tweaks.

I hated Vista when it came out, and rightfully so. It was released way before the problems had been worked out. It might as well have been an alpha build. That being said, the problems were fixed. People just liked to complain. I was in IT then, and I met plenty of Vista users who liked it only because they didn't realize they were using Vista. I heard "Just don't put Vista on my computer" more than once.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

hated Vista when it came out, and rightfully so. It was released way before the problems had been worked out. It might as well have been an alpha build. That being said, the problems were fixed. People just liked to complain. I was in IT then, and I met plenty of Vista users who liked it only because they didn't realize they were using Vista. I heard "Just don't put Vista on my computer" more than once.

I once nearly threw my laptop into a wall because of Vista problems. Microsoft was about to discontinue selling Windows XP discs but they still do because of people downgrading back to XP. 

26 minutes ago, AskTJ said:

Good point. I like Windows 8 now :D

Too bad the live tile interface posed so much compromises and alienated existing PC users with mice and keyboard even though the desktop improvements and features of Windows 8 surpasses Windows 7. 

• Native USB 3 support 
  • native ISO mounting 
  • Hyper V on Windows 8 Pro 
  • better file cut, copy and paste in File Explorer 
  • faster boot up (basically skips error checking) 
  • built in antivirus with Windows Defender 
  • Better task manager 

1 hour ago, captain_to_fire said:

I once nearly threw my laptop into a wall because of Vista problems. Microsoft was about to discontinue selling Windows XP discs but they still do because of people downgrading back to XP. 

Been there. It was terrible. My point is that they fixed the bugs, hardware caught up to the overly ambitious interface, and drivers were developed for Vista and above.

By the way, the reason the reason XP drivers didn't work in Vista is because the kernel changed so much. You can use Vista drivers in most stuff since (it may not work quite as well on newer versions) because there have only been minor changes since.

My only huge complaint with 8 was the interface. They literally took windows out of Windows by forcing full screen. xD Third party utilities fixed made it pretty usable though.

5 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

By the way, the reason the reason XP drivers didn't work in Vista is because the kernel changed so much. You can use Vista drivers in most stuff since (it may not work quite as well on newer versions) because there have only been minor changes since

The only major change as far as I know with regards to driver compatibility was the display driver, because it went to another model.

I recall installing XP drivers for a Wi-Fi adapter on Vista and it worked just fine. It had to be done manually through Device Manager though.

See, I really liked the charms menu for Windows 8. I found that was hard for me to live without it when I switched to Windows 10.

the "Start" menu was a joke and quite inconvenient, and the fullscreen apps didn't really help for non-touch devices, but when they added Windowed App mode to Windows 8.1 I found that to be a really great change.

I want my charms back >:(

Another thing, I've always kept myself up to date in Windows 10. Never had to deal with "annoying Windows updates", I just took care of my computer and updated it when I went to bed. When I woke up it was done, and if it broke I rescheduled it to the next night and tried again. It seems that a lot of people hate closing their apps and saving their work and their place to have to update. I sleep, so I close everything out and update.

As for security and features, I moved to bleeding-edge Windows 10 Insider - Fast. I've never looked back (until this week lol). I get the latest features as they come, never had any issues (until last week), and I was comfortable with the frequent updates. I got the emoji menu early, I got the dark theme early, the Edge fixes, better WSL support (which is what brought me to Insider in the first place), and better driver support. Cloud nine for me :)

I think the update situation in Windows 10 is an issue for sure, but I hate how people bash it. Like god damn don't people sleep? I understand that you might run into issues but you can roll back to the previous build of Windows 10 in like 15-30 minutes and pause until a fix is released. Auto-update has always been hated by people but I mean if you take a second to actually maintain your system with updates you won't have issues.

That's my two cents on Windows 10

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

36 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The only major change as far as I know with regards to driver compatibility was the display driver, because it went to another model.

I recall installing XP drivers for a Wi-Fi adapter on Vista and it worked just fine. It had to be done manually through Device Manager though.

I know it didn't affect ALL devices, but it was a huge issue at launch. Lots of stuff just wouldn't work. Have you ever noticed how driver packs have usually come in either 2000/XP or Vista/7/8/10 zip files? It's because the the kernels didn't change much after Vista or before XP.

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

I know it didn't affect ALL devices, but it was a huge issue at launch. Lots of stuff just wouldn't work. Have you ever noticed how driver packs have usually come in either 2000/XP or Vista/7/8/10 zip files? It's because the the kernels didn't change much after Vista or before XP.

IIRC they've completely removed DOS from Windows 10 so I'd say that's a large kernel change

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

On 12/9/2017 at 10:46 PM, 8uhbbhu8 said:

Nope. If its is unregistered no matter what it will do that.

Also Safe Mode?

On 1/12/2018 at 6:09 AM, Darksnow1000 said:

they gave it away for free because it is essentially a huge data mining tool for microsoft, and in order to stop them from taking your data you have to go through what i can personally describe and the computer equivalent to colonic irrigation

Sorry, but how exactly is Microsoft mining your data in Windows 10?

4 minutes ago, DaJakerBoss said:

IIRC they've completely removed DOS from Windows 10 so I'd say that's a large kernel change

DOS support was provided by an emulator called NTVDM, which was a component of the system, but not part of the kernel itself. So removing it isn't a problem. NTVDM was  dropped in 64-bit version of Windows because of x86-64's inability to go to the proper 16-bit mode when running in the 64-bit mode

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

DOS support was provided by an emulator called NTVDM, which was a component of the system, but not part of the kernel itself. So removing it isn't a problem. NTVDM was  dropped in 64-bit version of Windows because of x86-64's inability to go to the proper 16-bit mode when running in the 64-bit mode

Ah ok thank you

15 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

It's likely because 2000 and XP were NT5 and Vista after is NT6 (I'm fairly certain Windows 10, despite the kernel version going to 10, is an evolution of NT6), and so from a organizational standpoint, it makes sense to separate it that way.

Allegedly the driver model used in Windows NT is forwards compatible, but not backwards compatible (from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Driver_Model). And it's likely designed this way so Microsoft doesn't have the issue of businesses refusing to upgrade Windows due to a lack of driver support.

1 hour ago, DaJakerBoss said:

Sorry, but how exactly is Microsoft mining your data in Windows 10?

Take a look at your privacy settings sometime. There's even a key logger built into Windows 10. You can disable it (along with most of the other data mining functions), but it's all on by default.

2 hours ago, DaJakerBoss said:

They've completely removed DOS since Windows XP.