Which Windows operating system is the most hated in history?

Which operating system made by Microsoft is the most hated?  

418 members have voted

1. 1. Which one did you despised the most?

• Windows Me (Millennium Edition)
    • Windows Vista
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 10
    • Some other Windows version/s (specify which one in the comments)

5 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

Crashes were way too frequent, and if it didn't crash it slowed down. It worked sort of, just not as well as it's predecessor 98SE or the business use windows 2000.

Your kind of lucky. I got this a lot on the under clocked P4 (7 in a hour), but not a lot on the VM (4 in a hour)

Image result for windows me blue screen

Hello darkness my old friend, I've come to talk to you again...

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

I'm a little bit disappointed that Microsoft removed Clippy since Office 2007. I mean, I kinda preferred it over the creepy Cortana. IMG_5423.PNG.1f8dcb76a126c4198b2d550e6308f45f.PNG

Oh yeah. I miss clippy. He was so friendly, and didn't have a super creepy voice that sounds like you PC's going to kill you.

Sadly, you can ask Cortana weird questions, and she answers them.

1-1

Most Windows OSes are hated on release, because it's like they haven't ironed out many of the bugs yet. But after a year or so, they are generally all "stable".

But personally my most hated OS is Windows 8/8.1.

Simply because even though it was advertised for use with "touch screens", yet it was a horrible piece of trash with my tablet. Win8, as "nice" as it was, still required a keyboard to use.

That was made obvious when you had to tap the virtual keyboard button at the bottom of the screen every, single, time, you wanted to type anything. It got old, VERY QUICKLY.

This is like if on your phone, whenever you tapped on a typing field, you also had to press some random button to have the keyboard popup instead of it showing automatically.

That said, most of the hate I see for Win10 lately is mainly related to the whole privacy thing from the more "tech savvy" users out there and not the stability of the OS itself. (And the whole "HOW DARE YOU UPDATE WITHOUT MY PERMISSION WHILE I'M USING THE COMPUTER", well change your active hours and restart options ffs)

Most of which can be blocked with a variety of tools out there, like Anti-Beacon by spybot, O&O's ShutUp10, etc... And if you're afraid that Microsoft goes around the HOSTS file blocks, you can block that in your router too

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Windows 8.1 was amazing, best OS IMO.
Especially because of that task manager :x
Games (especially my old windows xp/98 games) also worked a lot better on windows 8.1 than windows 7 (except for Supreme Commander and Just Cause 2), but that may have been because I had an AMD GPU on my windows 7 computer or something idk

EDIT: I have to say that windows 10 is pretty damn good on a laptop, not so much on a desktop though.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

47 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

I installed DOS 7.1 first, then Windows ME. That worked well. For display drivers, there are modded drivers that allows you to set higher resolutions. I didn't care about other drivers, as I only wanted to get the feel of the crappy OS.

I don't even need modded drivers in Windows ME. I just use the Windows 9x drivers that came with my Geforce FX5500, and 1080p is available.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

37 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

Sadly, you can ask Cortana weird questions, and she answers them.

A lot of times, she gives me Bing search results instead of talking to me especially when I'm asking her about currency conversions. Also, why can't Cortana be a dude like Siri? 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

I personally never used Windows ME but I did use Vista...

OH MAN WAS IT BUGGY! Even on the Core 2 Quad it was unstable. We had a BSOD within 2 days. Upgraded to an early Windows 7 Beta build and it was actually more stable than Vista... weird.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

37 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

I remember as a kid playing around with the dog office assistant (Rocky I think the dog was called).

RIP clippy though.

I'm pretty sure there's a Microsoft employee lurking in this very forum and they'll probably including it in their telemetry data that some people like Clippy back. 

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

A lot of times, she gives me Bing search results instead of talking to me especially when I'm asking her about currency conversions. 

Yeah. That's the most irritating part about her. Sometimes I ask her to do the math (16,32,64 JAGUAR) and she goes search it on Bing.

3 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Also, why can't Cortana be a dude like Siri?

LOL

Two options missing from poll are windows 98 and *

windows 98 was suppose to be windows for the internet era. A child could cause mischief on it especially when napster shutdown and people would download anything to get their piracy fix.

* is a symbol for arseholes but also means all in sql.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

9 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Yeah there were absolute flops like Windows ME. But nothing is worse than a company shoving its shady agenda down your throat and leaving you with no way out because they deliberately sabotaged their other operating systems. I don't flipping care if its free.

We badly need a competing OS else all user privacy and choice becomes forfeit. Yes say all you want about Google. We can live without Google but not without the OS platform that has the support to lets us do everything.

MS has been screwing people since the 70s. Their evilness shouldn't be surprising. they are a publicly listed corporation whose only duty is to take investors money, R&D some shit, then return a profit. I don't know why people don't get this. If you don't like their product there are alternatives, before you give me excuses I will pre-answer them with: don't be part of the problem be a apart of the solution and add yourself as a Linux user on valves hardware surveys.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

12 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

We can live without Google but not without the OS platform that has the support to lets us do everything.

*Looks at the list of software with the most exploits

*Sees Android as number one

Nah, I'll go with Linux, more support than Android (yes, I know it's built on the Linux kernel)

But seriously guys, if Windows doesn't float your boat. Get Linux with Wine. I know Wine has some lackluster support, but do you want to trade support for privacy?

I'm going to stay with Windows for daily task, but I may use Linux for Bluetooth support, so I can use Kodi without my phone or mouse.

Ok for all the hate towards MS here's is some love for the best final packaged product they released with full consideration for the consumer and their needs:

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Ok for all the hate towards MS here's is some love for the best final packaged product they released with full consideration for the consumer and their needs:

BOB was legit. It made going around Windows fun:).

I hate Server 2003 with a passion. I think we're down to less than 300 in our data center, but considering we still have some Server 2000 boxes online I don't think I'll ever truly be rid of them. :(

-KuJoe

2 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

I hate Server 2003 with a passion. I think we're down to less than 300 in our data center, but considering we still have some Server 2000 boxes online I don't think I'll ever truly be rid of them. :(

That's a lot of server boxes, gosh...

Just now, Factory OC said:

That's a lot of server boxes, gosh...

We have 5+ data centers so they start to add up. :)

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

We have 5+ data centers so they start to add up. :)

Well okay...

That must be a hassle to sort out.

Meanwhile, Windows 95 was the operating system that made GUI ubiquitous and popular, its also the OS that nearly sent Apple to bankruptcy.

But Steve Jobs and Bill Gates struck an investment deal in 1997 to save Apple and one of the conditions is to make Internet Explorer the default browser in Macs till Mac OS X Puma. Apple's own Safari 1 only became the default browser when Mac OS X Panther was launched. 

3 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

I just thought about Scrapyard Wars pre-Windows XP edition.

3 hours ago, Factory OC said:

That would actually be cool...

3 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

I'd bring my Pentium 3 with Windows 2000. First OS with encryption and NTFS as file system. 

I was thinking recently, I'd love to see a Retro Scrapyard Wars season. :D

• Motherboard must only have ISA or older expansion slots.  No PCI-Express, or even PCI or AGP slots allowed.
  • Hard drives, if present, must use the Seagate ST-506 or older interface.  No IDE or SATA allowed; also no SSDs including NVMe.
  • There should preferably be a 5.25" floppy drive.
  • No USB ports allowed.
  • No DIMM or SIMM slots allowed.  RAM chips must be individually socketed (or soldered) on the motherboard. :D

Basically I'm thinking 386 or 286 era or older.  As for games, I'm mostly thinking ones from the 1980s into the 1990s or so.  (I'm not sure if Wolfenstein 3D or the original DOOM would run, but if it would, definitely benchmark it.)

3 hours ago, Droidbot said:

Me, but that's off what I've heard.

Vista was ahead of its time, and not ready for consumer hardware at that time. It was a fucking shitshow on hardware of that time. 

3 hours ago, Factory OC said:

Yep, the Areo Theme was a benchmark...

I didn't use Vista myself, but from what I'm hearing ... would people have needed that era's equivalent of an i7-7700K and two Titan Xpp's in SLI, all under LN2 and overclocked to the point where they thermal throttle, JUST to run the OS itself about as well as a 2016 AAA game runs on a 2008 iGPU at max settings? :o 

3 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

ME. For those too young to remember it, be grateful. The original 98 wasn't great either, so not great they created 98 second edition. 

Windows 10 may be harvesting your data, 8 may have had a UI designed for touch screen very few people had, and Vista didn't like the lower hardware available at the time, and asked you if you were sure very time you did anything, but they worked. ME did not, it was so bad a lot of people used the business focused Windows 2000 instead.

I never used ME (except maybe on some friends' computers, but I don't remember much about it).  Probably just as well.  My dad used Windows 2000 in his computer from 2002 to 2008.  (Then I went to XP when I got my first desktop in Feb '08.)  Dad bought a laptop around Aug/Sept '08 (Dell D830) with XP, and he still uses it today.  (I'm currently on 10 Pro on both my PCs, although my desktop started on 7.)

Speaking of office assistants, btw ... one of my favorites was the red ball, or whatever it was called.  I think the dog was fun too, iirc.

Hey does anyone remember the flight simulator like thing from Excel 97? :D

1 minute ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

I was thinking recently, I'd love to see a Retro Scrapyard Wars season. :D

• Motherboard must only have ISA or older expansion slots.  No PCI-Express, or even PCI or AGP slots allowed.
  • Hard drives, if present, must use the Seagate ST-506 or older interface.  No IDE or SATA allowed; also no SSDs including NVMe.
  • There should preferably be a 5.25" floppy drive.
  • No USB ports allowed.
  • No DIMM or SIMM slots allowed.  RAM chips must be individually socketed (or soldered) on the motherboard. :D

Basically I'm thinking 386 or 286 era or older.  As for games, I'm mostly thinking ones from the 1980s into the 1990s or so.  (I'm not sure if Wolfenstein 3D or the original DOOM would run, but if it would, definitely benchmark it.)

I was thinking more 486 to Pentium era. But still, that would be cool to see.

3 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

I was thinking more 486 to Pentium era. But still, that would be cool to see.

Yeah I know :D I just like the idea of an extra challenge to not have any IDE, PCI, etc, or newer. :D  Maybe even require all the parts to be old enough to have been discontinued before Linus's mom was pregnant with him? :P 

2 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Yeah I know :D I just like the idea of an extra challenge to not have any IDE, PCI, etc, or newer. :D  Maybe even require all the parts to be old enough to have been discontinued before Linus's mom was pregnant with him? :P 

We should actually see how the software version of Quake runs on that:P. Please Linus, we need this!

5 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

I didn't use Vista myself, but from what I'm hearing ... would people have needed that era's equivalent of an i7-7700K and two Titan Xpp's in SLI, all under LN2 and overclocked to the point where they thermal throttle, JUST to run the OS itself about as well as a 2016 AAA game runs on a 2008 iGPU at max settings? :o 

You're right. Aside from the ridiculous hardware requirements, it basically made everyone's existing plug and play hardware not compatible like printers especially. It is because a lot of PCs have memory of 1GB and iGPU wasn't a thing in 2006 yet, it needed over the top graphics cards.

8 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

basically I'm thinking 386 or 286 era or older.  As for games, I'm mostly thinking ones from the 1980s into the 1990s or so.  (I'm not sure if Wolfenstein 3D or the original DOOM would run, but if it would, definitely benchmark it.)

I did had a single core P4 back in 2004 together with an ATI Radeon graphics card (I forgot which one) and 512 MB RAM. That ATI card kinda sucks and P4 plus stock cooler, thermals are awful.