Which Windows operating system is the most hated in history?

Which operating system made by Microsoft is the most hated?  

418 members have voted

1. 1. Which one did you despised the most?

• Windows Me (Millennium Edition)
    • Windows Vista
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 10
    • Some other Windows version/s (specify which one in the comments)

I was just reading this subreddit on why people seem to hate Windows 10. 

I haven't used Windows Me so no comment on that but I used Vista, 8/8.1, and 10, operating systems that garnered so much notoriety for being hated by its users. I remember hating Vista so much because of its asinine and ridiculous system requirements at the time, high memory usage and software quirks that just get in the way that I saved lunch money during college just to buy a legit DVD installer of Windows 7 Home Premium for my Dell Inspiron laptop back in 2009. However, because of a security feature in Vista, we have sandboxing built in to Google Chrome. Then with Windows 8, I actually liked the under the hood improvements it brought like faster boot times, longer battery life, native USB 3 support without the need of additional drivers, native ISO mounting, and improved memory management and enhanced security like built in Windows Defender and secure boot. I didn't liked the Metro/Modern UI which is definitely made for tablet PCs, notwithstanding the fact that a lot of PCs have traditional mice and keyboards and no touchscreen. To switch apps on Windows 8, you have to bring your cursor on the top left and move it down to bring the app switcher. In a touchscreen, you have to swipe from the from the left to the right and back out immediately just, and lastly to close an app, you have to grab the top with your mouse and drag it down. Microsoft quickly released Windows 8.1 which is meant to alleviate some of their users frustrations like the ability to boot directly to the desktop app and an option onhitting the Windows key to reveal the all apps list instead of the Start screen. 

When Windows 10 was announced, I was excited because it will finally bring back the Start Menu which in my opinion, the best app launcher for desktop/laptop computers. I was also excited that finally, they'll release Windows 10 as a free upgrade for people with legit Windows 7 and 8.1, following what Apple had been doing since OS X Mavericks via the Mac App Store. I think I have already spoken way too much on why I'm salty with Windows 10. I mean, I share similar Windows 10 sentiments as expressed by both @Slick and @LinusTech in their social media accounts. Here are a few examples: 

Just imagine if this happened to journalists with Surface Pros/Surface Books while attending a Microsoft BUILD conference. So much bad press. 

So if you're a college/grad school student working on your thesis/dissertation and this happens. So much flow of thoughts are interrupted and you'll probably never get back.

And then there's the issue of privacy. I think this video below pretty much summarizes the privacy problems even in Creators Update and the ramifications is somehow staggering which I concur wholeheartedly.

So what do you guys think? Is Windows 10 the most hated operating system or do you think people are complaining way too much and Windows 10 is not only their most tested Windows version ever (as claimed by Microsoft), it is also the best operating system out there. Please share your thoughts, rants, and opinions on why this version is the most hated one. 

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Win 10 has many privacy issues, but easily Vista or Me (8 was pretty crap in my opinion too, at least for non-touchscreen laptops).  

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Microsoft Bob says hi...

For me, it was ME. Hands down. That OS was unstable for me.

Just now, scottyseng said:

Microsoft Bob says hi...

For me, it was ME. Hands down. That OS was unstable for me.

Really? Never used it. I've used 3.1, 95, 98 SE, 2000, XP to 10 but not Me. So it is really that bad as a lot of people said. 

Just now, fuzz0r said:

ME no contest.

Most useless shitty OS I've ever tried.

Vista was actually decent after SP2.

Windows 8 was decent after 8.1 update.

I don't know about Me but I agree with Vista SP2 and Windows 8.1, those were huge improvements. 

3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, 98SE, 2k, Ce, Me, NT 4.0 (order on purpose), XP, Vista (crap until at least after the first SP), 7, and 10.  ME was the worst.

Hello! We're replying!

Windows 8 was stupid overall. Vista was unusable on lower end PC's. I really have no problem with Windows 10.

BUT ME LOCKED UP REAL DOS MODE (you could mod it to fix it, but why?)

AND IT CRASHES AND BUGS OUT A LOT. THAT IS NOT A OVER STATEMENT. I'M SERIOUS...

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

Really? Never used it. I've used 3.1, 95, 98 SE, 2000, XP to 10 but not Me. So it is really that bad as a lot of people said. 

To be fair, I was only a kid at the time (Windows 95 was the first OS I ever saw). But yeah, ME was bad for me, so unstable / annoying.

Just now, scottyseng said:

To be fair, I was only a kid at the time (Windows 95 was the first OS I ever saw). But yeah, ME was bad for me, so unstable / annoying.

I tried that crap in a VM, and that didn't go amazing. I then proceeded to install it on a under clocked Pentium 4 (700MHz). It was even more buggy...

2 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

I tried that crap in a VM, and that didn't go amazing. I then proceeded to install it on a under clocked Pentium 4 (700MHz). It was even more buggy...

I just thought about Scrapyard Wars pre-Windows XP edition. ?

Me, but that's off what I've heard.

Vista was ahead of its time, and not ready for consumer hardware at that time. It was a fucking shitshow on hardware of that time. 

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

Me, but that's off what I've heard.

Vista was ahead of its time, and not ready for consumer hardware at that time. It was a fucking shitshow on hardware of that time. 

Yep, the Areo Theme was a benchmark...

4 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I just thought about Scrapyard Wars pre-Windows XP edition. ?

That would actually be cool...

Just now, Factory OC said:

That would actually be cool...

I'd bring my Pentium 3 with Windows 2000. First OS with encryption and NTFS as file system. 

I never had a Vista or PC. Went straight from XP to 7, then to 8, 8.1, 10. IMO 8.1 was the most stable, 10 the least. Even right now I have an issue with 10; after installing the Creator's Update my system refuses to reboot.

8.1, even with the Start screen, is my favorite version of Windows so far. The Start screen looked kinda cool and I never had to actually work the the clunky UX because you just press the Windows key and search, ignore the tiles completely, and use the Win+X menu to shut down/restart.

ME. For those too young to remember it, be grateful. The original 98 wasn't great either, so not great they created 98 second edition. 

Windows 10 may be harvesting your data, 8 may have had a UI designed for touch screen very few people had, and Vista didn't like the lower hardware available at the time, and asked you if you were sure very time you did anything, but they worked. ME did not, it was so bad a lot of people used the business focused Windows 2000 instead.

Just now, namandoesnotpanic said:

8.1, even with the Start screen, is my favorite version of Windows so far. The Start screen looked kinda cool and I never had to actually work the the clunky UX because you just press the Windows key and search, ignore the tiles completely, and use the Win+X menu to shut down/restart.

I actually regret upgrading to 10. I think 8.1 is way more stable, has better memory management and zippier than 10. 

1 minute ago, Monkey Dust said:

ME did not

Damn, that's a bold statement. Did it like, straight up crash out of the box, or what? Like, how was it to use?

3 minutes ago, namandoesnotpanic said:

I never had a Vista or PC. Went straight from XP to 7, then to 8, 8.1, 10. IMO 8.1 was the most stable, 10 the least. Even right now I have an issue with 10; after installing the Creator's Update my system refuses to reboot.

I went straight from 7 to 10, and I'm kind of happy. Windows 7 is still cool, but I like Windows 10 (kind of). The only problem is, I can't use Bluetooth...

2 minutes ago, namandoesnotpanic said:

Damn, that's a bold statement. Did it like, straight up crash out of the box, or what? Like, how was it to use?

Mine did in the VM after it booted. It even crashed on the install on my Pentium 4 PC. 

1 minute ago, Factory OC said:

Mine did in the VM after it booted. It even crashed on the install on my Pentium 4 PC. 

Huh. I had a VM which booted fine, but I couldn't do anything with it, because I had no software which would run on it, and VirtualBox's drivers didn't support ME.

4 minutes ago, namandoesnotpanic said:

Crashes were way too frequent, and if it didn't crash it slowed down. It worked sort of, just not as well as it's predecessor 98SE or the business use windows 2000.

6 minutes ago, namandoesnotpanic said:

Huh. I had a VM which booted fine, but I couldn't do anything with it, because I had no software which would run on it, and VirtualBox's drivers didn't support ME.

I installed DOS 7.1 first, then Windows ME. That worked well. For display drivers, there are modded drivers that allows you to set higher resolutions. I didn't care about other drivers, as I only wanted to get the feel of the crappy OS.

33 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Microsoft Bob says hi...

I'm a little bit disappointed that Microsoft removed Clippy since Office 2007. I mean, I kinda preferred it over the creepy Cortana. IMG_5423.PNG.1f8dcb76a126c4198b2d550e6308f45f.PNG