Why this Xeon is not for gaming?

Hi, I would like to know why this Xeon is not for gaming? (previous thread posts resulted on this conclusion)

People say it is not able to do gaming on (I have it combined with a gtx980 4gb)

Stuttering/frame skipping and sometimes almost snapping feeling when moving the camera,

when units load or new areas or revisiting areas or when units interact (depending on the game engine of course)

You can check my build on my profile so I will just list the xeon:

"Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-1620"

First question, why it is not suited for gaming? What is the difference? (Speed is the same so as a consumer, with the info I was given I have no understanding of why its not good for gaming).

as a secondary question, should I get (if able to) some other cpu instead? Which ones would you recommend (I couldn't name a specific price because its an upgrade of sorts but please suggest some with the scope of satisfying the gaming needs that release for the years to come, so something future proof)

All things considered, thanks

Just now, PineyCreek said:

Different instruction sets, code, features embedded in the chip.

in other words, it is not compatible to be used for gaming?

would a 7700k be stable enough to run them butter smooth? hmm I noticed ryzen came out aswell, are they the same as xeons (incompatible for games) ?

thanks

Xeons are intended for workstations and servers.  They are geared more towards computational performance over gaming, multimedia, etc.  Xeons will work for gaming.  They're just not fantastic at it.  Ryzen is AMD's new line up for chips.  They're good for games.  If you're building a strictly gaming PC however, get a i7 or i5 with hyperthreading.  The 7700K will work great for you.

1 minute ago, TwinDenis said:

in other words, it is not compatible to be used for gaming?

would a 7700k be stable enough to run them butter smooth? hmm I noticed ryzen came out aswell, are they the same as xeons (incompatible for games) ?

thanks

it's not that it's incompatible for gaming, it should play games just fine. it's just that the 1620 is on an older architecture with lower IPC so it may not play games as well as a newer cpu. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, PineyCreek said:

-snip-

tl:dr

gaming and rare video editing/prod tasks: 7700k

mostly prod/video editing and occasional gaming: r7 1700

idk

3 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

he said games support fewer faster cpus while looking at my xeon it has 3.6-3.8ghz speeds, this should be enough to run them right?

In my case I notice weird frame skipping when playing lets say heroes of the storm (starcaft engine) after units start to fight and such which of course in some cases affects my performance as well (movements become choppy and less noticable).

Could you review my own xeon and see if that could occur and why?

I am concerned, thanks though

5 minutes ago, TwinDenis said:

-snip-

I would say you wouldn't want to game on the lower clocked high core count Xeon. For example my Home NAS has a Xeon E5-2695V3 (2.2 GHz, 14 core, 28 thread). While it's great for multithreaded workloads, it's terrible at gaming because most games are single threaded and so one core is flooded with work while the others do nothing.

My Xeon is roughly equal to a stock 1800X in terms of pure performance. However, you'd be okay with gaming on the 1800X.

However, what the Xeons excel at are running multithreaded tasks while running really cool. I have never gotten mine to ever get past 60C, even in a server mostly full of hard drives and with two GPUs in it. It runs a really low vCore.

The faster quad core Xeons would be suitable for gaming, but you'd probably find a equally priced non Xeon CPU that would perform as well.

he said games support fewer faster cpus while looking at my xeon it has 3.6-3.8ghz speeds, this should be enough to run them right?

In my case I notice weird frame skipping when playing lets say heroes of the storm (starcaft engine) after units start to fight and such which of course in some cases affects my performance as well (movements become choppy and less noticable).

Could you review my own xeon and see if that could occur and why?

I am concerned, thanks though

If you want to really troubleshoot this, have something like task manager open for example, and when you start to have stuttering, see what your CPU is doing.  It may not be the CPU at all.  You can also try running stability tests and the like with software like AIDA64.

Just now, scottyseng said:

I would say you wouldn't want to game on the lower clocked high core count Xeon. For example my Home NAS has a Xeon E5-2695V3 (2.2 GHz, 14 core, 28 thread). While it's great for multithreaded workloads, it's terrible at gaming because most games are single threaded and so one core is flooded with work while the others do nothing.

My Xeon is roughly equal to a stock 1800X in terms of pure performance. However, you'd be okay with gaming on the 1800X.

However, what the Xeons excel at are running multithreaded tasks while running really cool. I have never gotten mine to ever get past 60C, even in a server mostly full of hard drives and with two GPUs in it. It runs a really low vCore.

The faster quad core Xeons would be suitable for gaming, but you'd probably find a equally priced non Xeon CPU that would perform as well.

well as said above, my xeon is high clocked low cored, so the concern lies there.

10 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Different instruction sets, code, features embedded in the chip.

Wrong. There the exact same die. Some times you get things like trusted execution but you won't use that. It will preform the same as a eqv i7. So a i7 3840. 

Just now, TwinDenis said:

well as said above, my xeon is high clocked low cored, so the concern lies there.

Yeah, have you tried monitoring the GPU usage as you game? If it's jumping up / down suddenly, you have a CPU bottleneck.

I know my 980 Ti would choke bad on my Xeon for gaming. haha.

But it's strange though, your Xeon should be fine at the GHz it runs at.

If you want to really troubleshoot this, have something like task manager open for example, and when you start to have stuttering, see what your CPU is doing.  It may not be the CPU at all.  You can also try running stability tests and the like with software like AIDA64.

lets take this example of when playing WoW (yes it happens in wow also)

https://postimg.org/gallery/ohfd9qmg/

+

https://postimg.org/gallery/ihnk14dq/

to be honest, I didnt notice anything weird on the graphs in some games while having issues, they were 50-60% maybe 80% (one core) but that was all so far, the gpu of course was on normal usage depending on settings, temps good.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Wrong. There the exact same die. Some times you get things like trusted execution but you won't use that. It will preform the same as a eqv i7. So a i7 3840. 

Ok...so the Xeon die will include the same instruction sets?  I may very well be thinking then of the differences in chipsets then.

lets take this example of when playing WoW (yes it happens in wow also)

https://postimg.org/gallery/ohfd9qmg/

+

https://postimg.org/gallery/ihnk14dq/

to be honest, I didnt notice anything weird on the graphs in some games while having issues, they were 50-60% maybe 80% (one core) but that was all so far, the gpu of course was on normal usage depending on settings, temps good.

If it's not the game itself, and it's not the CPU, and it's not the GPU, then could something else be interrupting your computer?  The Xeon should handle that fine...maybe a bus interrupt (I'm guessing here)?

So... whats the problem then?

Some of the people here say they are the same, some say they are different.

It makes no sense.

Why would I need to upgrade then?

If not for showing off, Just want to be playing yknow

in a raid in wow it looks like 20-30fps with 20+ people but it indicates 50-60fps (regardless of in game or out of game settings)

2 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

If it's not the game itself, and it's not the CPU, and it's not the GPU, then could something else be interrupting your computer?  The Xeon should handle that fine...maybe a bus interrupt (I'm guessing here)?

I used this:

https://postimg.cc/image/sni4862on/

Note that I optimized most drivers and such so the red bars are gone (they are at 3 greens or less).

5 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Ok...so the Xeon die will include the same instruction sets?  I may very well be thinking then of the differences in chipsets then.

It's the same die. Xeon aren't anything special. There are just slightly different features enabled and different clocks andprices . 

They can be used for gaming, some are actually pretty good value (Like the Intel Xeon E3-1230, just like 6700 but cheaper). They give up OC'ing for ECC support, many are lower power with more cores, made for serves, not very good for gaming. Nothing wrong with them though, their just not really designed for general consumer use. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

It's the same die. Xeon aren't anything special. There are just slightly different features enabled and different clocks andprices . 

Well that's annoying and a bullcrap tactic by Intel then.

1 minute ago, PineyCreek said:

Just to confirm, does this happen on any offline games?

I do not own any currently. I would guess not as much but then again they are gpu based, witcher 3 was decent (not perfectly smooth), overwatch runs good also (max+vsync).

Well that's annoying and a bullcrap tactic by Intel then.

They're binned for lower power use / to run 24/7 for workstation use. Also ECC support.

It's retailed more towards businesses / companies. Enterprise just costs more by default to be honest...

I do not own any currently. I would guess not as much but then again they are gpu based, witcher 3 was decent (not perfectly smooth), overwatch runs good also (max+vsync).

I'm wondering if what you see is just lag/latency to the games servers or peer network.  It would be interesting to see if you had a graphically-intensive game playing offline.