Ryzen Memory Buyers Guide

EDIT 11/JUN/17 - NONE OF THIS MATTERS ANYMORE. RYZEN HAS BEEN UPDATED, FOR THE MOST PART, WITH SUPPORT FOR HYNIX AND LOWER END SAMSUNG KITS, MAKING QVL USELESS. 

So, most Ryzen builds on here that I've seen are thrown together with the cheapest memory possible for that speed. I've even done this myself, so I can't exactly talk shit.

But not all memory works with every system - it's very hit and miss. Some boards are NOT patched with the new IMC patch. Depending on when you read this, your board may have the patch and works fine with memory, but it may not. Here's how to find memory that has been validated by the OEM.

Ryzen motherboards have a QVL (essentially a list of validated working memory kits). Every board should have one, but it may differ. Cheaper boards have worse QVLs from what I've seen.

So for example, I want to make a build with the AsRock AB350 Fatal1ty Gaming K4. The 3200Mhz fancy G.Skill Ryzen kit is $180 and isn't on the QVL.

Opening up the AsRock page for the board,  you can go to the 'Support' tab and click on 'memory QVL' to display the QVL list.

Scrolling down to Corsair, there is a 16GB 3000Mhz kit. Highlight the model number.

1.PNG.bc32c4566b734fa1b11d7c7fdf79f980.PNG

Copying that into PCPartPicker's Memory category shows 4 kits with differing prices, with the cheapest being $110USD:

2.PNG.8cd6fb3db32259f31980dcce3b99a5bb.PNG

This is just one example - there is loads of boards with differing QVLs and differing memory speed maximums.

The goal of this guide is to give you a way to get cheaper Ryzen memory while making sure it works with your board and CPU fine.

Hope this helped you :)

- Droidbot

EDIT 1: Obligatory reference to /r/AMD's RAM Kit list -  you can expect up to 3200 MHz with Samsung B-Die, up to 2933 MHz with Samsung E-Die and the same as E-Die on Hynix kits. 

idk

Just now, Bubblewhale said:

-snip-

+1 for this, about to add it to the OP. 

Thanks for the suggestion

idk