First Build

Deux Alpha
Go to solution Solved by DocSwag,

I'd suggest a 1600 instead as well as an rx 480 8gb, otherwise looks good.

9 minutes ago, Deux Alpha said:

hahaha yes, it doesn't go above 350W
Although I am aware that i'll have to change the power supply if I want to put one more GPU

I imagine that would be for auto-cad, since most games rarely use SLI anymore, so your better off upgrading the gpu to a 1070 or 1080/1080ti.

14 minutes ago, Draknour said:

that vid card she is looking at is a power hog, double it up add it another ssd and a hdd and she will be close to, or over her psu limit.  from my experiance when you get close to or exceed your limit it usually does not just crash, instead you end up with a gremlin of errors, first ram, then hard drive, it seems random but I have seen it happen.

Where are you getting this info from lmfao?

According to MSi's website, the recommended system wattage is 400w, which 550w is greater.

Current System Specs:

CPU: Intel I5-7660K; CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212X; Thermal Paste: IC Diamond 7 Carat; Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon;

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8gb) DDR4 - 2400; SSD Storage: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO; Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm;

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 8gb G1 Gaming; Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black; PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W 80+ Gold, OS: Windows 10 Home

Just now, Draknour said:

but it is better to have that capacaty to expand with now than to have to buy anotherone down the road.

GPUs are getting more and more efficient, so I don't think that an 850W PSU will really help....

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

I am looking ahead, another vid card, another ssd, more ram water cooling ect. a few more dollars can give you all the wattage you would ever need. better than than having to replace the psu

Edited by Draknour
typo

Just now, Deux Alpha said:

is it that bad?! :/

I wouldn't recommend it... Read the article @DocSwag linked...

1 minute ago, Deux Alpha said:

An i7 goes a little over my budget 

Well, get a cheaper B250 motherboard instead of a Z170/Z270 one and the price won't be higher. (The i7 comes with a cooler)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, Draknour said:

I am looking ahead, another vid card, another ssd, more ram water clocking ect. a few more dollars can give you all the wattage you would ever need. better than than having to replace the psu

But do I really need a double GPU for a 2 monitor display?
Isn't it better to bet on a better GPU?

10 minutes ago, Draknour said:

adding in more ram, sli... looks like another vid card too, now lets take consider overclocking and maybe watercooling, now you have an issue, and evga semi modular 850 is not that expensive, but it is better to have that capacaty to expand with now than to have to buy anotherone down the road.

His board won't support SLI fyi. Also just for the laughs, I threw on 2 1070's, 2 (2x16gb DDR4 ram), NZXT X62 Kraken, and still only was hitting less than 550w (albeit I would go w/ a 650w or 750w for head room, so where are you getting this info?

Also if your talking about the EVGA 850W non-rated, then that is a crappy psu.

Current System Specs:

CPU: Intel I5-7660K; CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212X; Thermal Paste: IC Diamond 7 Carat; Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon;

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8gb) DDR4 - 2400; SSD Storage: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO; Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm;

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 8gb G1 Gaming; Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black; PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W 80+ Gold, OS: Windows 10 Home

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I wouldn't recommend it... Read the article @DocSwag linked...

Well, get a cheaper B250 motherboard instead of a Z170/Z270 one and the price won't be higher. (The i7 comes with a cooler)

yes, if i buy the non k i wont be needing the Z mobo

10 minutes ago, Deux Alpha said:

But do I really need a double GPU for a 2 monitor display?
Isn't it better to bet on a better GPU?

Nope, you can run dual monitor from the IGPU if you really wanted, it's better to run a single gpu for gaming, rather than sli. Also the board you chose can't do Sli.

Current System Specs:

I am getting behind the scenes arguments.  right now if you go ryzen like they say, your system is usable for about 6-8 years, longer if you add in another vid gard down the road, maybe overclock it a little bit, and btw capaciters do get weaker over time. if you want to build something cheaply to sell to someone, go ahead and get minimal power needed, if you want something that will last you 10 years or more like my last build, then make sure you have room to grow with,

Just now, Drake10114 said:

Nope, you can run dual monitor from the IGPU if you really wanted, it's better to run a single gpu for gaming, rather than sli. Also the board you chose can't do Sli.

I know it can't, that's why i was asking if sli was that important. So is it better to upgrade to a better GPU than the double GPU?

4 minutes ago, Deux Alpha said:

yes, if i buy the non k i wont be needing the Z mobo

Yeah

11 minutes ago, Deux Alpha said:

I know it can't, that's why i was asking if sli was that important. So is it better to upgrade to a better GPU than the double GPU?

Not really, having the option is nice, but since your are primarily gaming, and as far as I know, most games don't work nicely w/ sli cards, your better off getting 1 beefy GPU.

But if your switching to the b250 mobo, you can get a board w/ sli and bump up to a 650w psu and you'll be okay if you sli in the future.

Current System Specs:

1 minute ago, Draknour said:

I am getting behind the scenes arguments.  right now if you go ryzen like they say, your system is usable for about 6-8 years, longer if you add in another vid gard down the road, maybe overclock it a little bit, and btw capaciters do get weaker over time. if you want to build something cheaply to sell to someone, go ahead and get minimal power needed, if you want something that will last you 10 years or more like my last build, then make sure you have room to grow with,

A 650W gives me room for a second GPU
but i chose the 550W because I din't now if I'd go with SLI

Just now, Drake10114 said:

Not really, having the option is nice, but since your are primarily gaming, and as far as I know, most games don't work nicely w/ sli cards, your better off getting 1 beefy GPU.

ok thx, that helped!!

a really good single gpu now is great, but down the road, it may not be good enough, that means either reduced settings, replacement, or build a system with a future double in mind.

11 minutes ago, Deux Alpha said:

A 650W gives me room for a second GPU
but i chose the 550W because I din't now if I'd go with SLI

Just make sure it's a good PSU and not a low tier 1, the corsair CX550M is a decent psu for lower budget builds. 

Edit: Anything Tier 1 - 3 are considered good by many here. For peace of mind, you could move into a Tier 2 or 1 PSU, but Tier 3 will be fine, considering the rig your planning on running.

Current System Specs:

1 minute ago, Drake10114 said:

Just make sure it's a good PSU and not a low tier 1, the corsair CX550M is a decent psu for lower budget builds. 

550W gives me more than 150W than what i "need"

550W gives me more than 150W than what i "need"

Yep, and if in the future you plan on upgrading, you may actually not need much more due to the efficiency some GPU's are becoming.

Current System Specs:

510y9IdphiL._SX425_.jpg

I purchased one of these thinking I had all the room I needed, and it was cool with my MOBO and Case,  yea....... now I use it to test components lol so yes, get a good quality one.

3 minutes ago, Draknour said:

a really good single gpu now is great, but down the road, it may not be good enough, that means either reduced settings, replacement, or build a system with a future double in mind.

With the SLI/Crossfire you're focusing on gaming or CAD?

1 minute ago, Draknour said:

510y9IdphiL._SX425_.jpg

I purchased one of these thinking I had all the room I needed, and it was cool with my MOBO and Case,  yea....... now I use it to test components lol so yes, get a good quality one.

well, it is a corsair 80+ bronze... isn't that supposed to be good? Well known brand, 80+...

11 minutes ago, Draknour said:

510y9IdphiL._SX425_.jpg

Well that is instantly a red flag.. since that appears to be some generic PSU lol. Surprised it hasn't burst into flames yet.

Current System Specs:

well, it is a corsair 80+ bronze... isn't that supposed to be good? Well known brand, 80+...

Yep, it's a Tier 3 PSU, which is good psu for budget builds. If it's on the Tier list and 3 or above, your good.

Current System Specs:

I'm pretty new to pc building that CPU stuff left me really confused!!
I didn't mean to start a AMD-Intel fight over here X D

14 minutes ago, Deux Alpha said:

I'm pretty new to pc building that CPU stuff left me really confused!!
I didn't mean to start a AMD-Intel fight over here X D

Every place has fanboys for each brand lol, some prefer Intel, some AMD.

Current System Specs: