First Build

Deux Alpha
Go to solution Solved by DocSwag,

I'd suggest a 1600 instead as well as an rx 480 8gb, otherwise looks good.

if you want a pure gaming rig, look for a mobo that has 64 gb ddr4 ram capacity, 2 slots for gpu's and 2 slots for periphials in time networking and sounds that is integrated has a tendency to fail. I prefer amd based systems because they seem to be more robust.  figure out the max power your system will draw with all the bells and whistles, then add 25-33% more because even quality capacitors weaken over time. When I went with a fx 4100 and on simple turbo it is running at that many GHz, when that is not enough a 9000 series one should be pretty cheap. and that will get me through a few more years.

17 minutes ago, Draknour said:

if you want a pure gaming rig, look for a mobo that has 64 gb ddr4 ram capacity, 2 slots for gpu's and 2 slots for periphials in time networking and sounds that is integrated has a tendency to fail. I prefer amd based systems because they seem to be more robust.  figure out the max power your system will draw with all the bells and whistles, then add 25-33% more because even quality capacitors weaken over time. When I went with a fx 4100 and on simple turbo it is running at that many GHz, when that is not enough a 9000 series one should be pretty cheap. and that will get me through a few more years.

@STRMfrmXMN can you verify that we should estimate above what is given by 25-33% when looking at a wattage estimator, which is usually giving higher numbers anyways?

Edit: Pretty sure your confusing video editing/drafting and gaming, since 32gb is overkill currently, and mainly use 1 gpu, where as video editing/drafting, may use dual gpu and up to 64gb of ram?

Current System Specs:

CPU: Intel I5-7660K; CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212X; Thermal Paste: IC Diamond 7 Carat; Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon;

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8gb) DDR4 - 2400; SSD Storage: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO; Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm;

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 8gb G1 Gaming; Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black; PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W 80+ Gold, OS: Windows 10 Home

I think it gives max power draw. in time electrical components seem to draw more than they did originally, and capacitors give less. just remember things like keyboards, your phone charging on a usb 3.0 and all the other things, I believe it is better to look at the worst you can imagine, then add more to it just to be safe.

10 minutes ago, Draknour said:

I think it gives max power draw. in time electrical components seem to draw more than they did originally, and capacitors give less. just remember things like keyboards, your phone charging on a usb 3.0 and all the other things, I believe it is better to look at the worst you can imagine, then add more to it just to be safe.

Not really, yes capacitors age overtime, but that's why you buy good components, and it's not a massive drop as you seem to suggest, and keyboards, etc. don't draw that much power, also who charges their phone from their pc, when most wall chargers do it better?

Current System Specs:

CPU: Intel I5-7660K; CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212X; Thermal Paste: IC Diamond 7 Carat; Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon;

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8gb) DDR4 - 2400; SSD Storage: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO; Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm;

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 8gb G1 Gaming; Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black; PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W 80+ Gold, OS: Windows 10 Home

4 minutes ago, Drake10114 said:

@STRMfrmXMN can you verify that we should estimate above what is given by 25-33% when looking at a wattage estimator, which is usually giving higher numbers anyways?

Edit: Pretty sure your confusing video editing/drafting and gaming, since 32gb is overkill currently, and mainly use 1 gpu, where as video editing/drafting, may use dual gpu and up to 64gb of ram?

I've never seen a PSU calculator on the internet that got within even 10% of the correct power consumption of the computer. Avoid using calculators entirely, look at Guru3D reviews of your hardware to see how much power it really needs under demand and use that to base your purchase decision off of.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Just now, Drake10114 said:

Not really, yes capacitors age overtime, but that's why you buy good components, and it's not a massive drop as you seem to suggest, and keyboards, etc. don't draw that much power, also who charges their phone from their pc, when most wall chargers do it better?

I only charge my phone from my PC :P 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, Draknour said:

This build is running at 337W, do you think 550W is too short? The only preoccupation I have is in term of higher requirements in future GPUs, and that might leave me a little tied 

google do capacitors get weak, yes they do, do integrated peripherals fail on mobos, yep you can google that too. all I am saying is when it comes to the PSU, MOBO and case you should consider not just what you want now, but what you want 3, 5 even 10 years from now, and if you buy smartly with the intent to expand later on, you will not be replacing as many components.

9 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I only charge my phone from my PC :P 

Lol.. damn your the exception, mine is wall charged due to samsung's fast charger which is nice.

But a system drawing 337w will be fine w/ a Corsair CX550M correct, even w/ capacitors degrading overtime (which actually takes a while I imagine)?

Current System Specs:

1 minute ago, Draknour said:

google do capacitors get weak, yes they do, do integrated peripherals fail on mobos, yep you can google that too. all I am saying is when it comes to the PSU, MOBO and case you should consider not just what you want now, but what you want 3, 5 even 10 years from now, and if you buy smartly with the intent to expand later on, you will not be replacing as many components.

I know, that's why I asked if SLI was that important, because if it was, my PSU wouldn't do

Just now, Drake10114 said:

Lol.. damn your the exception, mine is wall charged due to samsung's fast charger which is nice.

But a system drawing 337w will be fine w/ a Corsair CX550M correct, even w/ capacitors degrading overtime (which actually takes a while I imagine)?

I like my phone to charge slower. Much easier on the battery that way.

What are the specs of the computer we're talking about? I would guess something like an i7 7700 + GTX 1070 all OC'd would be what OP is using if 337W is supposed to be the power draw?

if you get married, have a kid, and decide to buy a house, you would be foolish to get a 2 bedroom brick house on a tiny lot of land. what if you want a dog or 2, hey now you have a son and a daughter, guess it is time to sell the house and get another one. good thing home values dont drop like pc parts lol.

9 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

What are the specs of the computer we're talking about? I would guess something like an i7 7700 + GTX 1070 all OC'd would be what OP is using if 337W is supposed to be the power draw?

Specs:
CPU: Intel core i5-6600k
MoBo: MSI Z170A-G43 Plus
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) - DDR4 2400
Storage: SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB (and HDD: WD Black 1TB 7200RPM --> I'll add later)

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 Armor 6G OCV1

PSU: Corsair CX550M

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X
Fan: Corsair Air Series AF120mm Quiet Edition

Op may swap to b250 mobo and an i7-7700 or into a Ryzen system (would have to recalculate consumption then).

Now if Op was to SLI, I'd recommend a 650w, but since his primary thing is gaming, a single card will work, and would probably upgrade to a better card in the future.

Current System Specs:

2 minutes ago, Drake10114 said:

Specs:
Storage: SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB (and HDD: WD Black 1TB 7200RPM --> I'll add later)

Op may swap to b250 mobo and an i7-7700 or into a Ryzen system (would have to recalculate consumption then).

Now if Op was to SLI, I'd recommend a 650w, but since his primary thing is gaming, a single card will work, and would probably upgrade to a better card in the future.

4 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

That was part of my question yes, the PSU problem was included in the SLI one
And I'm aware if I were to SLI 550W wouldn't do

if you get married, have a kid, and decide to buy a house, you would be foolish to get a 2 bedroom brick house on a tiny lot of land. what if you want a dog or 2, hey now you have a son and a daughter, guess it is time to sell the house and get another one. good thing home values dont drop like pc parts lol.

Entirely 2 different things lmfao.

I'd upgrade your PSu if it's 10 years old, irregardless of quality, since power deliveries change overtime resulting in outdated PSu's (i.e. CX vs CXm units from Corsair)

Current System Specs:

Specs:

My night theme eyes see a blank screen but I'll CTRL+A :P

That system will demand around 200W under load without OC. You're fine with a CX550M. I'd also suggest getting a B250 board (get an ATX board with 3 or more fan headers though - a little hard to find nowadays but it's possible) and an i7 if you're playing at more than 60 Hz. If playing at 60 Hz then keep the i5 and 1060 (or rather perhaps an RX 480 instead of the 1060?). 

You can't SLI 1060s so I don't know why we're suggesting that in the first place.

3 minutes ago, Deux Alpha said:

That was part of my question yes, the PSU problem was included in the SLI one

1060s can't SLI. Get the CX550M and an RX 480 (instead of a 1060) and let your troubles be no more.

Entirely 2 different things lmfao.

I'd upgrade your PSu if it's 10 years old, irregardless of quality, since power deliveries change overtime resulting in outdated PSu's (i.e. CX vs CXm units from Corsair)

But my problem is more with CPU and mobo than with the PSU. the PSU part I understand 

why upgrade, get something that is better than you need now, so as it starts to decline, you have plenty of breathing room. Or you can get something 20-30 cheaper, and expect to replace it down the road. guess this more like philosophy than than building.

10 minutes ago, Deux Alpha said:

But my problem is more with CPU and mobo than with the PSU. the PSU part I understand 

Up to you really, either I7-7700 + B250 or a Ryzen 5 build.

Or as @STRMfrmXMN suggested previously, w/ sticking w/ the I5 and get a Rx480

Current System Specs:

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

1060s can't SLI. Get the CX550M and an RX 480 (instead of a 1060) and let your troubles be no more.

Yes, I Know that too! But if I didn't need to SLI that wasn't a problem.

What are the advantages of the RX480? Other than VRAM and Crossfire

I prefer AMD systems, seems like Intel CPU's are not as robust as AMD, and here is a little secret, as you add more and more programs and processes to your computer, multiple cores show off better. so dollar for dollar, Ryzen is the way to go now, and as your systems starts to get bogged down, it will truly shine. now all that is left is to pick a mobo that has every feature imaginable.

why upgrade, get something that is better than you need now, so as it starts to decline, you have plenty of breathing room. Or you can get something 20-30 cheaper, and expect to replace it down the road. guess this more like philosophy than than building.

@STRMfrmXMN you feel like chimming in on why 10 year old PSu's are not necessarily the best?

1st off, I never mentioned cheaper components (and if your saying lower wattage is cheaper, than your wrong)

2nd, PSU's get outdated irregardless of quality due to how power needs to be deilvered to components, i.e. 12v rails and 24v rails. By assuming I bought a $200 PSU, and I'll be fine in 10 years is crap frankly, since in 10 years, computers may only need a single connector to power everything (extreme example), and a 10 year old PSu won't be able to do that.

Current System Specs:

3 minutes ago, Draknour said:

I would, if I had more money to spend
I'm trying to assemble the computer that will give me the best gaming performance throughout the years with some updates 

4 minutes ago, Drake10114 said:

Up to you really, either I7-7700 + B250 or a Ryzen 5 build.

Or as @STRMfrmXMN suggested previously, w/ sticking w/ the I5 and get a Rx480

I think @STRMfrmXMN's solution is more within my budget