Dell XPS 15 2017 9560 Review

LinusTech

I just got the Precision variant of the XPS15 for my work laptop. Same chassis, but with the Xeon and Quadro instead of i7 and 1050. I purposefully went with the 1080p screen for three reasons: massively better battery life, way less eye strain, and zero scaling issues. Zero regrets and the computer is a beast.

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to buy the new Dell XPS 15-9560 (i7, 16gb of ram, 512gb ssd with gtx 1050 and 4k display).
I have a GTX 980 Ti Xtreme Gaming from Gigabyte that I'm not using. Does anyone know if the laptop would work with that gpu using a Razer Core or other eGPU enclosure?

Thank you very much,

xWiiLLz

On 4/15/2017 at 5:25 AM, Pheelo said:

wasnt there a version with a 1050ti?

No but unlike most 1050 laptops the xps 15 has 4gb of vram instead of 2gb 

This laptop looks great. If I could change anything to make it perfect for me this is what I would do

1. Add two in 1 hinge

2. 4 lane thunderbolt

3. Cheaper :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 16-4-2017 at 0:46 AM, Skeeter said:

Can I ask for the specifics of what you turned off for the WiFi? I have the 9550 model and the WiFi is AWFUL. I posess the ability to crash the office router if im on WiFi and connect a bluetooth headset, connecting to a VPN will cause the WiFi to crash 2 or 3 times before becoming stable, and the bluetooth is flakey as hell.

Maybe you fixed it already.

But I have the same xps and fixed most of my wireless issues by going to:

Control panel > hardware and sound > power options > edit settings > advanced power settings > look for "Wireless adapter settings > set both to maximum performance

Most of my issues are gone since doing this although I don't use Bluetooth to connect my mx master mouse to the laptop, i use the logitech usb dongle.

hope this helps.

ps. I currently have major issues with my xps. Could you please read this topic of mine and tell me if you have any similar issues? thanks.

Comic sans is best font

-me to my graphic design teacher 6 seconds before I got kicked out of the classroom

Just received my XPS 15 - 9560 (i7 with 16gb of ram and 512gb sad). It has serious Wi-Fi issues. It is brand new, and I can't even connect to the internet, it keeps making blue screens. I tried a  lot of fixes from here and Reddit  and nothing works.

I have to say that this is unacceptable for a new system. After waiting two weeks of shipment, half of it was tagged as "work in progress" within their order tracking system. I cannot believe that they would actively "work" on the laptop and still ship it as the lemon that it is.

I would definitely not recommandation buying it. This is really frustrating, and makes me strongly think about switching over to Apple. Will never even consider buying from Dell again.

• 2 years later...

Got a XPS 15 9560 used a few months ago. (4k model with i7 and 16gb of ram) 

Replaced the thermal paste and undervolted both CPU and GPU. CPU now runs at max turbo speed indefinitely.  During combined load it would VRM throttle after 3-5 minutes with the GPU dropping all the way down to 1000mhz. Put 6w/mk thermal pads like a lot of the guides online recommended. Completely solved the issue.

I now have the GPU overclocked and undervolted, 1750mhz at .912v. Most games it will hold that speed indefinitely and max CPU turbo. Intensive games that use both CPU and GPU will cause the GPU to thermal throttle a bit, GPU core dips into the 1600s during the most CPU demanding moments of gameplay.

Mostly use it for 4k YouTube and Netflix, with a bit of light gaming. Overwatch, WoW, Runescape, LoL.

Very Happy after spending a few hours to repaste, put the thermal pads and find the max undervolt.

Haven't had any internet connection issues using the Killer 1535 adapter, maybe the newest drivers have solved the issue.