Dell XPS 15 2017 9560 Review

LinusTech

I thought it was 1 upload per day? 

Easter Gift?

Magical Pineapples

Wow, this is the latest post I've ever seen you make Linus. Was it queued to go live at this time?

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

So does this mean that we don't get one later today/tomorrow?

Main rig: CPU: Intel Core i5 6600k | GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (FE) | Mobo: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB 2666MHz Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 | Storage: 512GB Crucial SSD (Ubuntu 23.04) | Case: Corsair 400C |

Laptop: 2023 MacBook Pro 14" | 12 core M2 Pro | 32 GB Unified Memory |

NAS: Synology DS216+II

1 minute ago, Daniel644 said:

3:47 678 FPS in GTA V????????????

I think it was either 67.8 with a line going through the decimal point, or a typo.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

1 minute ago, ATFink said:

I think it was either 67.8 with a line going through the decimal point, or a typo.

thats what I figured, definitely looks like enough space between 7 and 8 for a decimal point just can't see it because text is same color as line. question is will they pull the video to fix it (like they've done several times in recent weeks) or let it ride.

You ARE a weirdo for liking touchscreens on laptops, Linus, don't forget that. The screen glare is very conspicuous.

Also, it's ridiculous of you to claim to have a 'standard battery test'. Can you seriously name the last time you tested the battery life on something?

28 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Dell's XPS 15 9560 2017 is an evolutionary step forward for what was already a really solid design. But does it continue to hold up a year later?

Buy XPS 15 2017 on Amazon: http://geni.us/MXqJp

Buy XPS 15 2017 on Newegg: http://geni.us/vMts

YES YES YES YES YES YES. Best video ever. Hands down. And I haven't even watched it yet. (I might be a Dell XPS fanboi. Maybe. Just a bit.)

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 hour ago, Granular said:

You ARE a weirdo for liking touchscreens on laptops, Linus, don't forget that. The screen glare is very conspicuous.

Also, it's ridiculous of you to claim to have a 'standard battery test'. Can you seriously name the last time you tested the battery life on something?

Battery technology suck bad in 2017 

8 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Dell's XPS 15 9560 2017 is an evolutionary step forward for what was already a really solid design. But does it continue to hold up a year later?

Buy XPS 15 2017 on Amazon: http://geni.us/MXqJp

Buy XPS 15 2017 on Newegg: http://geni.us/vMtst

Still unlisted lel

Can I ask for the specifics of what you turned off for the WiFi? I have the 9550 model and the WiFi is AWFUL. I posess the ability to crash the office router if im on WiFi and connect a bluetooth headset, connecting to a VPN will cause the WiFi to crash 2 or 3 times before becoming stable, and the bluetooth is flakey as hell.

15 hours ago, kirashi said:

YES YES YES YES YES YES. Best video ever. Hands down. And I haven't even watched it yet. (I might be a Dell XPS fanboi. Maybe. Just a bit.)

That's why you have a Macbook Air

Just yanking your chain dude lol

13 hours ago, Pheelo said:

wasnt there a version with a 1050ti?

No, 1050 only.  You might be thinking of the Dell 7569 or whatever it's called now.

2 hours ago, lilbman said:

That's why you have a Macbook Air

Just yanking your chain dude lol

Yes, I have a 15" MacBook Air... heh heh heh. Apple made them in 11.6", 13.3", and 15" right? :D It's all good. Jokes are good.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Can we drop the sex jokes already?

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

As someone who was spoiled by the 10 hour battery life when I had my 2011 MacBook Air 13", I can't believe Linus said 4.52 hours of battery life is "pretty good". Hell no, good battery life should be at least around 7 hours and beyond.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

4 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

As someone who was spoiled by the 10 hour battery life when I had my 2011 MacBook Air 13", I can't believe Linus said 4.52 hours of battery life is "pretty good". Hell no, good battery life should be at least around 7 hours and beyond.

Depends on testing methodology. If this is one of the better results with his test, then it's good. From what I can tell methodology has not been disclosed so it's impossible to tell if it's good or bad and compared to what. It's no secret that Macbooks generally have reliable and long battery life though.

How about reviewing some of the actual Business-Class laptops?  Like the Latitude E7480?

And maybe an after-3-years comparison?  To see if one stands up to daily use better than another?  I know, not scientific, but there's lots of people who wouldn't mind paying a little bit extra if "business class" quality means their laptop is going to last 4 years instead of 3.

our model costs a bit more

only $1000 more

smh

On 4/16/2017 at 8:13 PM, Mark77 said:

How about reviewing some of the actual Business-Class laptops?  Like the Latitude E7480?

And maybe an after-3-years comparison?  To see if one stands up to daily use better than another?  I know, not scientific, but there's lots of people who wouldn't mind paying a little bit extra if "business class" quality means their laptop is going to last 4 years instead of 3.

Your probably going to struggle to get this from people like Linus as I doubt there is a single bit of kit in their office that will be in use constantly for 4 years. I expect the laptops are review samples that get returned anyway.

Your better off asking on places like here for "real people" reviews. We have been using Dell XPS laptops at my work for the last 4 years. The original XPS 12s (with the flip screen) and 13s with the curved edges and without the Infinity Edge displays are AWFUL. There is quite litterally a stack of them piled up in the corner of the IT guys desk where almost every single one of them has failed. Memory, motherboards, hard drive, and countless screen issues especially with the 12s.

The newer ones however, with the 6th and 7th Gen Intel chips are much better. The squarer ones with Infinity Edge displays like in this video. We have dropped the 12's and now use mostly 13s and 15s and they are great. The 13 is too small for constant use (which is why I have a 15) but other than that they are brilliant for what they are. The spec of a MacBook Pro/Razer Blade for considerably less, and they have a nice business look.

We have a few people who have Lattitudes and frankly they are just as good, but heavier, bulkier, and not that much cheaper.

Its worth noting that depending on what your doing the 1080p screen may be better for business use. The 4k touch screen is shiny and pretty, but if your going to be using Remote Deskptops or connecting to external displays that are not super high DPI your going to hit a mountain of frustrations with Windows inability to handle mixed DPIs well. All our work desks have 2x 22" 1080p screens on, and plugging in a small 4k just sends you into super large icon scaling hell. Plus, the FHD versions of the XPS machines are considerably cheaper and don't have the "spend all day stairing at your reflection" glossy screen issue.

If I was to have to buy my own work Laptop, it would definately be an XPS15.