Will my Asus Z170A motherboard have good enough onboard sound for the Game Zero?

Hello, I am thinking of purchasing the Game Zero headset from Sennheiser. The problem is I really don't want to spend money on an amp. Will the onboard sound of my Asus Z170A motherboard be enough to handle the headset and get it's full sound potential? Thanks.

I would say not quite. I own a Maximus VIII Ranger (so the same sound engine as the Z170A, if I'm not terribly mistaken) and a Game Zero and I'm rather satisfied with it. I am however not as blown away by the overall sound, as I expected to be. I think it sounds just a little bit more tinny, when compared to my beyer-dynamic dt 901 (which I have connected to a headphone amp). This is only noticeable however, when going from my other headphones directly to the headset.

In short: I think the Game Zero would definitely benefit from a discrete amp but it's still a great headset (especially in terms of comfort) when driven off the motherboard.

WHIPLASH

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @4.7GHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 2x8GB @3000MHz

MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS

CASE: Fractal Design Define S

2 minutes ago, toasty6776 said:

I would say not quite. I own a Maximus VIII Ranger (so the same sound engine as the Z170A, if I'm not terribly mistaken) and a Game Zero and I'm rather satisfied with it. I am however not as blown away by the overall sound, as I expected to be. I think it sounds just a little bit more tinny, when compared to my beyer-dynamic dt 901 (which I have connected to a headphone amp). This is only noticeable however, when going from my other headphones directly to the headset.

In short: I think the Game Zero would definitely benefit from a discrete amp but it's still a great headset (especially in terms of comfort) when driven off the motherboard.

Do you have the latest version of the Game Zero that is only 50 ohms? The older version was 150. Is 50 low enough for my mobo?

5 minutes ago, Thomas_Steam said:

Do you have the latest version of the Game Zero that is only 50 ohms? The older version was 150. Is 50 low enough for my mobo?

Let me check the impedance real quick. brb

WHIPLASH

8 minutes ago, Thomas_Steam said:

It's the 50 Ohm.

WHIPLASH

Just now, toasty6776 said:

It's the 50 Ohm.

But you're saying id be find without an amp or sound card? would it still sound as good as what i would pay for it? (I would pay $180)

8 minutes ago, Thomas_Steam said:

But you're saying id be find without an amp or sound card? would it still sound as good as what i would pay for it? (I would pay $180)

I'm saying it's a great headset. You're probably not getting the most value for your money (that would be something like the HyperX Cloud II) but that's just how it is with high-end products. I'm really loving my pair (especially since I got them for only 130€). If you're really that worried, that you're not getting the best experience with the Game Zero, check out the PC373d. It's pretty similar to the Game Zero but it has its own USB adapter and it has (supposedly) really awesome surround sound.

EDIT: PC373d is open backed whereas the Game Zero is closed back

WHIPLASH

1 minute ago, toasty6776 said:

I'm saying it's a great headset. You're probably not getting the most value for your money (that would be something like the HyperX Cloud II) but that's just how it is with high-end products. I'm really loving my pair (especially since I got them for only 130€). If you're really that worried, that you're not getting the best experience with the Game Zero, check out the PC373d. It's pretty similar to the Game Zero but it has its own USB adapter and it has (supposedly) really awesome surround sound.

I dont want a usb headset, so I think im going with the Game Zero because I've heard great things about it. Thanks!

Just now, Thomas_Steam said:

I dont want a usb headset, so I think im going with the Game Zero because I've heard great things about it. Thanks!

You are very welcome

WHIPLASH

14 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

The newer production Game Zero are only 50Ω impedance. No need for an amp

Thanks bro going to get it :)!

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

The newer production Game Zero are only 50Ω impedance. No need for an amp

My HE 560's are only 45 ohm, does that mean that I don't need an amp? Hell no because the sensitivity of the drivers is low. So that reason you give is wrong and I have been debunking that for what 2 years now and it is being debunked in the pinned thread.

It just so happens that these headphones are family sensitive, so most onboard should be able to drive them.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.