Windows 10.0 released in 2015 will no longer be supported

AlTech
20 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

We know this is what they do. Stop saying you're "Speculating". Microsoft has confirmed they have kill switches on OS Builds. We know that for PC it is 30 days and for Mobile it is 14 days.

Source?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

9 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Source?

15 minutes ago, ExplodingTNT said:

Wait... What?

I thought this was only for Insider Program Builds...

The retail kill switch time must be longer than that! Or maybe I'm just insane. :ph34r:

Ok, so maybe I wasn't 100% accurate. I'm pretty sure it used to be 30 days but it appears to be 60. There is no mention of the Windows 10 Mobile kill switch time but I'd be surprised if it was the same as PC.

Windows 10: Windows 10 was designed as a service, whereby feature updates are required a few times a year. For most consumers, both quality and feature updates are delivered automatically according to their Windows Update settings. By policy, devices need to install the latest feature update within a 60-day grace period of its release to continue to be eligible for monthly servicing with security updates and other quality updates. 

support.PNG.8f40ca67000b3cb39c21795291dfb20a.PNG

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

16 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Ok, so maybe I wasn't 100% accurate. I'm pretty sure it used to be 30 days but it appears to be 60. There is no mention of the Windows 10 Mobile kill switch time but I'd be surprised if it was the same as PC.

Normally in cases like these yes you stop receiving new updates etc but it doesn't kill off the OS or anything like that you just have to install the feature update you haven't installed. The way Microsoft handles that is when they release updates the specify the minimum build version the update applies to so if you are below that you will not see the update and you cannot manually install it either by obtaining the MSU.

This is how they handled previous versions of Windows in the past i.e. if you install Windows 7 non SP1 after the support ended you didn't get any of the new security updates as they were all dependent on SP1.

I'm not actually sure what Microsoft means by grace period but it won't kill off the device, at worst it will go un-activated until you update. Any actual literal kill timers in Windows would be far too problematic for retailers since stock is held for much longer than 30 or 90 days. The only kill switches in Windows I've seen are in the technical previews which I've had the pleasure of forgetting about and it rebooting the OS every 2 hours.

1 hour ago, Belgarathian said:

From a developer perspective, great! No more overly fragmented user base on various different builds. 

Except this will just lead to more fragmentation. People who don't upgrade won't suddenly go "oh, Microsoft will start hitting me with a cane if I don't upgrade? That has completely changed my mind about their update policy and I will now comply with it!".

This change will only make it so that updating is even more of a hassle, so people are even less likely to do it.

This will create more fragmentation, not less.

58 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I'm not actually sure what Microsoft means by grace period but it won't kill off the device, at worst it will go un-activated until you update. Any actual literal kill timers in Windows would be far too problematic for retailers since stock is held for much longer than 30 or 90 days. The only kill switches in Windows I've seen are in the technical previews which I've had the pleasure of forgetting about and it rebooting the OS every 2 hours.

Assuming it has a kill switch, retailers could keep the devices in stock for about 2 years + 30 or 90 days. I don't think that many devices sold today has Windows 10 with a build from 2015 on them. There are probably a few, but considering how horrible Microsoft has been towards customers in the last few years I wouldn't be surprised if they would be OK with some casualties if it meant they could punish and threaten their other customers.

I hope that there is no kill timer, but I really would not be surprised considering how Microsoft has been acting.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I don't think that many devices sold today has Windows 10 with a build from 2015 on them.

Hmm good point and manufactures do release updated models quite regularly and retailers do have processes in place for dealing with unsold stock, be it heavily discounted sales or returning the product etc. Makes you wonder if at some point they will completely change how Windows is delivered on OEM devices and all it actually is is a boot loader to download Windows so if you don't have an internet connection your fucked.

13 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Makes you wonder if at some point they will completely change how Windows is delivered on OEM devices and all it actually is is a boot loader to download Windows so if you don't have an internet connection your fucked.

I think we are a long way from that being practical, but maybe in the future.

I am not sure the average user would be that pleased with it though. Even the initial setup can be confusing to some, and if they had to also go through extra steps to download Windows Microsoft might get more phone calls to their support, which I doubt they want.

It would put a bigger load on their downloads servers too, and OEMs might have a harder time pushing all their bloatware out.

On 15/04/2017 at 4:52 AM, DeadEyePsycho said:

Incoming Microsoft hate comments.

Rolling release makes sense personally but that's just me.

it would but they fired all their beta testers which means at anytime your machine might break, people don't like to be beta testers

4 hours ago, cj09beira said:

it would but they fired all their beta testers which means at anytime your machine might break, people don't like to be beta testers

Windows Insiders love being beta testers.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Meanwhile, Windows 7, released in 2009, will be supported until 2020.

Regarding Windows 10.0 users, they may be cut off from patches, but I don't see a scenario in which they are cut off from turning their 10.0 into whatever it is now, and then resume patching.

1 hour ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Regarding Windows 10.0 users, they may be cut off from patches, but I don't see a scenario in which they are cut off from turning their 10.0 into whatever it is now, and then resume patching.

That's the thing. They can always update to the latest build, but they'll make a stink of it b/c Microsoft is the villain in their minds.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

26 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

That's the thing. They can always update to the latest build, but they'll make a stink of it b/c Microsoft is the villain in their minds.

Well, Microsoft is the villain if you ask me. But I don't expect people to agree with me and be in Windows 10, whether it's 10.0 or otherwise, at the same time. Hence, I wouldn't expect it to be a big deal for them, but I might be overlooking something.