Windows 10.0 released in 2015 will no longer be supported

AlTech
2 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Complaining to microsoft never did anything to begin with, their support has always been horrid just like any big company

But I see what I was missing, I didn't realize the feature updates weren't forced though I guess it makes sense since those updates tend to either install incorrectly or break other software.

The features updates kind of are forced. It's just a matter of when you actually install it.

1 minute ago, Rune said:

Just from the upgrade assistant download. Have not tried USB yet because of a mixture of not caring quite that much and being quite busy.

restart your PC and then try to use the tool again.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

Uh, I'm pretty sure you the only way you can still be on such an old update is if you somehow modified your registry to block updates or something, because they are mandatory.

So for all the people who use windows 10 normally and update it when it needs to, this is a non-issue.

Toggling the Metered Data option also disables updates over wifi. I haven't checked my build, but as I've installed Windows 10 just last year, I'm pretty sure mine is still supported, not as though said support is worth anything with updates disabled 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 minutes ago, Rune said:

Just from the upgrade assistant download. Have not tried USB yet because of a mixture of not caring quite that much and being quite busy.

Looking at your specs, an in-place upgrade might be a problem if Windows is not able to grab the proper drivers for your raid.  That could possibly be why you're having trouble.

On my rig, I just have one drive and had no issues.  You have the latest UEFI?

My PC specifications are in my profile.

Just now, Michael McAllister said:

Looking at your specs, an in-place upgrade might be a problem if Windows is not able to grab the proper drivers for your raid.  That could possibly be why you're having trouble.

On my rig, I just have one drive and had no issues.  You have the latest UEFI?

Yeah, bios was updated about 6 months ago. Not really anything else I can do at this point other than trying the USB route.

9 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

obviously, but it was a novel and quick way to stop it fucking up my network. It's annoying how it pops up and asks to update, but if you ignore it it goes and updates anyways then restarts, that isn't professional at all, and it still came preloaded with facebook and twitter, it's clear the pro version isn't really that pro, so I never paid for it even though I have 4 VMs running it, they can fuck off if they expect payment for that shite OS, I'd rather bomb them.

Maybe don't ignore it and reschedule it at a better time rather than letting it restart whenever it wants?

You know you can tell it a time when to restart right?

Why are you even using windows 10 then...

Move to linux and you will save yourself all this useless complaining.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

So is it "whining" and "hating" to assume this is so aggressive is almost violent to expect big companies to upgrade all of their machines every 2 years or less? 

Listen consumers on Windows 10 are fucked and know what they're in for, don't care about them.

On the enterprise however, rolling out company wide mandatory upgrades is a great way to basically piss off tons of managers and important people telling (with good reason) that their fucking production demands cannot fucking wait for an upgrade. People on large scale IT departments are constantly struggling to find windows of opportunity and such to push updates and I wouldn't be surprised if this greatly disrupted operations for many.

Of course I suspect that Microsoft will not really decline support to a large corporation that tells them "No fuck you, we can't upgrade right now but we need support"

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Rune said:

Yeah, bios was updated about 6 months ago. Not really anything else I can do at this point other than trying the USB route.

Having to do a fresh install is a bit of a pain.  I usually do fresh installs.  Luckily, the Upgrade Assistant worked rather well.  Seems like Windows is getting better at the upgrade process.  Used to be that fresh installs were always required to prevent strange oddities from happening.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

Just now, Enderman said:

Maybe don't ignore it and reschedule it at a better time rather than letting it restart whenever it wants?

You know you can tell it a time when to restart right?

Why are you even using windows 10 then...

Move to linux and you will save yourself all this useless complaining.

These are virtual machines, they run of a 24/7 host server. They do network and NAS stuff, and I had problems with the Linux versions, so I run it native, but there are many Linux VMs too. The reason I can't schedule them is because they run 24/7, remotely, I don't sit here in my web browser watching their remote desktop. 

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

These are virtual machines, they run of a 24/7 host server. They do network and NAS stuff, and I had problems with the Linux versions, so I run it native, but there are many Linux VMs too. The reason I can't schedule them is because they run 24/7, remotely, I don't sit here in my web browser watching their remote desktop. 

Then set the VMs to auto restart?

Or learn how to use linux and fix the "problems with the linux versions" ?

There are plenty of things you could do to avoid this, but it seems like instead you're just another one of those people that complains about windows 10 constantly without putting any effort into a solution.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Then set the VMs to auto restart?

Or learn how to use linux and fix the "problems with the linux versions" ?

There are plenty of things you could do to avoid this, but it seems like instead you're just another one of those people that complains about windows 10 constantly without putting any effort into a solution.

When windows restarts, they do come back, but get stuck at a login screen, and the ones with no passwords log back in but the programmes don't auto restart, I'm obviously not going to explain fully my network and security procedures and all the VMs I have running, so don't make a bald headed assumption that I didn't try to make it work, I found a solution, it works, I'm complaining because it's a serious annoyance with windows and if you don't complain about these things it won't change, maybe you like to take it lying down but I don't. 

On Linux WINE needs to be used and it's just slower and uses more resources in the end, simple as that, it isn't pragmatic. I most certainly put effort into finding a solution, one fucking month of constantly fucking dealing with the inane bullshit of that OS. It works fine on my main gaming PC, but it isn't so good for uses like that, and I'm not paying €1600 for software for a home network system that doesn't make me money and just makes my life easier. 

This isn't actively a problem, it was just an annoying one that shouldn't have existed at all. 

Yours faithfully

6 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

When windows restarts, they do come back, but get stuck at a login screen, and the ones with no passwords log back in but the programmes don't auto restart, I'm obviously not going to explain fully my network and security procedures and all the VMs I have running, so don't make a bald headed assumption that I didn't try to make it work, I found a solution, it works, I'm complaining because it's a serious annoyance with windows and if you don't complain about these things it won't change, maybe you like to take it lying down but I don't. 

On Linux WINE needs to be used and it's just slower and uses more resources in the end, simple as that, it isn't pragmatic. I most certainly put effort into finding a solution, one fucking month of constantly fucking dealing with the inane bullshit of that OS. It works fine on my main gaming PC, but it isn't so good for uses like that, and I'm not paying €1600 for software for a home network system that doesn't make me money and just makes my life easier. 

This isn't actively a problem, it was just an annoying one that shouldn't have existed at all. 

Windows Server 2016 is a thing. You should try it out before screaming about how you are not using the product you're supposed to for your given problem.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

5 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

It's actually possible to make anything auto restart, even if you need to type in passwords, launch programs inside vms, etc etc etc.

Clearly you've spent more time complaining than trying to make things works -_-

On linux you don't need to use wine if you use some linux compatible software.

I don't even understand why you need vms for a home network, it sounds like you're severely overcomplicating everything that could be natively done in one OS.

Anyway, complainers gonna complain, regardless of how simple it is to find a solution.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Windows Server 2016 is a thing. You should try it out before screaming about how you are not using the product you're supposed to for your given problem.

I know it's a thing, but it's €500 per OS, I have 5 VM's that had the issue, that's €2500 just for an OS, that's 2.5x what the server cost, you should know it costs a hell of a lot. 

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

It's actually possible to make anything auto restart, even if you need to type in passwords, launch programs inside vms, etc etc etc.

Clearly you've spent more time complaining than trying to make things works -_-

On linux you don't need to use wine if you use some linux compatible software.

I don't even understand why you need vms for a home network, it sounds like you're severely overcomplicating everything that could be natively done in one OS.

Anyway, complainers gonna complain, regardless of how simple it is to find a solution.

I have my reasons, other than being a virtualiser enenthusiast and server enthusiast, one OS wasn't really working, in the end the NAS has two VMs for it. The other two VMs run BOINC with firepro cards, Linux drivers didn't support said cards, so windows was used for that, those machines where easy to configure, but still took a few hours each. The last VM is for security, and interfaces with another network for reasons. The test are Linux, and also have their issues, as does the virtualisation host I use, ESXi is not without it's own problems, if you don't bring these problems to light, they're probably not gonna get fixed, do you just assume someone else will read your mind and know what's not working or something?

Yours faithfully

2 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I have my reasons, other than being a virtualiser enenthusiast and server enthusiast, one OS wasn't really working, in the end the NAS has two VMs for it. The other two VMs run BOINC with firepro cards, Linux drivers didn't support said cards, so windows was used for that, those machines where easy to configure, but still took a few hours each. The last VM is for security, and interfaces with another network for reasons. The test are Linux, and also have their issues, as does the virtualisation host I use, ESXi is not without it's own problems, if you don't bring these problems to light, they're probably not gonna get fixed, do you just assume someone else will read your mind and know what's not working or something?

You call yourself an enthusiast yet all actual enthusiasts either A) don't use windows 10 home or B) have made their software auto-start on a reboot

You also complained about linux using too many resources before, but you're using a bajillion VMs when you don't need to?

lol

Nice logic Mr. virtualizer enthusiast.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You call yourself an enthusiast yet all actual enthusiasts either A) don't use windows 10 home or B) have made their software auto-start on a reboot

You also complained about linux using too many resources before, but you're using a bajillion VMs when you don't need to?

lol

Nice logic Mr. virtualizer enthusiast.

I have the pro versions because ESXi on version 6.5 for some reason makes VMs with more than 4 vCPU's run on two sockets, but I can tell you now that Home and Pro are all but name and maybe 3 or 4 features from enterprise or server version, it still came preloaded with about 20 useless consumer apps. 

10/10 for not reading my earlier posts about this problem genius. 

Yours faithfully

2 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Just tweak it to be like the so called "win 9,5" and you don't even really feel any change between updates, mine updates whenever it has to and I feel my computer is the same from way back first boot, because I already have all my own default programs and settings and themes etc... So I really don't understand why not just update it and get the stability enhances.

Yep, You should have seen the our one of our library powering on at the same time with window updates. 

Magical Pineapples

3 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Just tweak it to be like the so called "win 9,5" and you don't even really feel any change between updates, mine updates whenever it has to and I feel my computer is the same from way back first boot, because I already have all my own default programs and settings and themes etc... So I really don't understand why not just update it and get the stability enhances.

Because it reinstalls a bunch of bloatware I removed from the startmenu, its super annoying that it keeps forcing their apps onto me for things that are not needed. (Onenote, people, etc) it just clutters my start menu. (I'm also annoyed with the start menu in general but thats for another time).

13 minutes ago, tlink said:

Because it reinstalls a bunch of bloatware I removed from the startmenu, its super annoying that it keeps forcing their apps onto me for things that are not needed. (Onenote, people, etc) it just clutters my start menu. (I'm also annoyed with the start menu in general but thats for another time).

then don't use them. They are part of the start menu on Windows 10. If you don't like it then run Windows 7, 8.1 or Linux.

If you already on W10, makes sense to at least be updated. I see no wrong with MS in this case.

4 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I have seen in the wild offices full of outdated software. Good luck explaining to your customers why your software is being quirky on their computers, but then how serious are the changes in windows that your software will no longer work with outdated APIs? My experience with Android is older phones dont always display stuff properly even when you make your code as compliant as possible, and every year Google breaks GPS. I don't think Windows would have these problems.

Lastly someone has to make a linux based joke:

A fix for broken Windows is currently in progress and marked critical https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1

fixed

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1/comments/1834

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Do I need to comment on people who have refused all updates being upset that they're not going to get updates?

I do love how Windows is not supporting OSes they're officially supporting for years though. Like not allowing Kaby Lake or Ryzen owners the extended support they were advertised until 2020? Wonderful. What a great business move. So consumer friendly.

What does "not supported" actually mean? Does it mean that Microsoft's terrible customer service will just deny you help? If that the case then who cares? 

What I am worried about is that Microsoft has built in a death clock into the update process, so if it detects a version that's too old it will start actively blocking updates, and force you to do a reinstall if you even want or need to install a new update. 

Considering how extremely horrible and flat out evil Microsoft has been with updates recently, I would not be surprised if it's the latter. 

6 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Incoming Microsoft hate comments.

Rolling release makes sense personally but that's just me.

One thing is rolling release, another is giving the finger to anyone who can't update for compatibility reasons. And while security updates are always welcome, garbage like ads in the start menu isn't and serves no purpose other than feeding greedy corporate pigs.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*