1200w for 1080ti 3 way sli

Go to solution Solved by DildorTheDecent,
1 minute ago, Enderman said:

99% of games do not support multi-GPU, so it is in fact no gain to add more cards.

Here's at least 500+ games with SLi support from Nvidia:

http://www.geforce.co.uk/games-applications/technology/sli?title=&sort_bef_combine=created DESC&sort_order=DESC&sort_by=created

I guess if you want to be autistically correct it could represent the 1%. But there are games out their that support it. As long as the games that OP plays support it then that's fine. It also isn't hard to use AFR 2. 

I've had success in BF4, Fallout 4, Crysis 3, Titanfall, DOOM and few others for SLi support. 

And SLi is also an enthusiast thing. Maybe OP finally wants to ascend. 

1 minute ago, SirFlamenco said:

Yea I see, but even if it does use 1200 watts the Evga p2 can provide something like 200 watts over this.

Yup. PSUs have overdraw. My 850 G2 can overdraw to about 1200W from the wall. Maybe further but haven't tested. 

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

No, they actually don't, but you can find out for yourself.

They don't support it natively, but you can get it to work.

So true it hurts

1080ti uses up to 250 watts , if you leave it be and don't mess around with overclocking.

So three of those would use up to 750 watts, which means even a 950-1000w psu should be enough if you don't OC your processor as well..

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

1080ti uses up to 250 watts , if you leave it be and don't mess around with overclocking.

So three of those would use up to 750 watts, which means even a 950-1000w psu should be enough if you don't OC your processor as well..

Yea but wouldn't an overclocked system (gpus + cpu) and a possible watercooling loop (cpu) be really close to 1200w?

So true it hurts

The card uses up to 250w with the default features, where it boosts or lowers its frequencies automatically... and in TORTURE mode (benchmarks) or when it's very gold (the efficiency goes up a bit when card gets warm). In games, once the cards are warm, the maximum power consumption is somewhere around 215 watts.

With 3 cards in SLI, rarely all three will be used to the maximum, so in real world they won't use 750 watts. My guess is they'll probably average around 500-550 watts, but staying with 750w just for safety.

If you don't believe me, see the pretty graphs on this page: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti,4972-6.html

Modern processors with 65w-95w tdp won't use more than 100-50w... if you overclock them you add 50-100 watts more.

A good quality power supply (for example a Seasonic gold efficiency one) would have some safety margin.. often a 1000w psu would actually be able to output 1100 watts with no problems at all for small periods of times.

Anyways... my advice would be drop a card and stay with just two 1080tis and use a 850w psu. 3 way SLI seems like not really worth the effort.

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The card uses up to 250w with the default features, where it boosts or lowers its frequencies automatically... and in TORTURE mode (benchmarks) or when it's very gold (the efficiency goes up a bit when card gets warm). In games, once the cards are warm, the maximum power consumption is somewhere around 215 watts.

With 3 cards in SLI, rarely all three will be used to the maximum, so in real world they won't use 750 watts. My guess is they'll probably average around 500-550 watts, but staying with 750w just for safety.

If you don't believe me, see the pretty graphs on this page: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti,4972-6.html

Modern processors with 65w-95w tdp won't use more than 100-50w... if you overclock them you add 50-100 watts more.

A good quality power supply (for example a Seasonic gold efficiency one) would have some safety margin.. often a 1000w psu would actually be able to output 1100 watts with no problems at all for small periods of times.

Anyways... my advice would be drop a card and stay with just two 1080tis and use a 850w psu. 3 way SLI seems like not really worth the effort.

Actually I didn't want to go with 1000w it was more ether this 

220-P2-1200-X1_XL_1.jpg

Or this 

120-G2-1600-X1_XL_1.jpg

But now I know 1200w with platinium effiency will be enough, thanks :) 

Spoiler

Will probably do a build log though

So true it hurts

33 minutes ago, SirFlamenco said:

They don't support it natively, but you can get it to work.

I personally wouldn't call "stuttering mess that uses a second GPU at 30%" working, but that's just my opinion.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If you're going to blow that much money on video cards, why are you niggling over PSU wattage?  Just get the 1600W one, your dick will feel bigger, and you'll never have to upgrade or replace it.  The AX1200i I have in my storage server has been around for the last 5 years in 3 systems.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2017 at 4:56 PM, Enderman said:

And it's stupid and you shouldn't do it.

This.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

3 minutes ago, SirFlamenco said:

A bit overkill, LOL

There is no such thing as overkill, only headroom for the future.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

5 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

I wouldn't call it headroom for the future if Nvidia doesn't officially support it.

Just now, foamygopher said:

I wouldn't call it headroom for the future if Nvidia doesn't officially support it.

Why wouldn't Nvidia support 2000W PSU?

I think you got confused a bit, since I was talking about 2000W PSU.

WD My Cloud 4TB

10 minutes ago, SirFlamenco said:

A bit overkill, LOL

Well you can get it to work though

Sure if your willing to jump through several hoops. Not worth the time IMO.

Just now, Simon771 said:

Why wouldn't Nvidia support 2000W PSU?

I think you got confused a bit, since I was talking about 2000W PSU.

Oh wait lol I was thinking of the 3 card setup not the power supply. Sorry.

24 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Yea but I can't even find a place in Canada that sells it.

15 minutes ago, foamygopher said:

Sure if your willing to jump through several hoops. Not worth the time IMO.

Plus there is the epeen factor, as I plan on trying to hit top 100 of Firestrike extreme

So true it hurts

I like how everyone keeps trying to tell OP 3 way sli is a bad idea, as if he hasnt already figured out "hey its not 100% efficient" and cares about having diminishing returns. If the dude is baller enough to get nearly $3k in CPU and GPU, let the dude do what he wants. "It can be done and I want to do it" should be all he has to say.

1200w should be fine my dude, though I might consider 1600w just so that you're around half PSU load for better efficiency

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 hour ago, SirFlamenco said:

Yea but I can't even find a place in Canada that sells it.

Plus there is the epeen factor, as I plan on trying to hit top 100 of Firestrike extreme

If your a benchmarker then that I can understand.

Get the G2, I have the 1000 and it's a good power supply. 

I look forward to your "PC underperforming" topic. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

On 4/14/2017 at 2:26 PM, DildorTheDecent said:

And SLI is also an enthusiast thing. Maybe OP finally wants to ascend. 

So you can't be an enthusiast unless you have SLI?

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

16 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

So you can't be an enthusiast unless you have SLI?

Correct /jk

For real though: Most people who run an SLi setup are enthusiasts. Enthusiast PC's are also usually equipped with full watercooling, HEDT processors and multiple GPUs. Anything to get as much performance as possible. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

Correct /jk

For real though: Most people who run an SLi setup are enthusiasts. Enthusiast PC's are also usually equipped with full watercooling, HEDT processors and multiple GPUs. Anything to get as much performance as possible. 

CORRECT! To be part of the PCMR you need 4x Quadro P6000s in SLI (watercooled, obviously), and 3x 10tb SSDs to store your PCMR memes

And true, but there's also the kids that just find the most expensive components possible and slap them together to look cool, "Oh look at me I stole my mom's credit card". Like the one kid on here that made a build with an SLI Bridge, and only one card.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

6 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

CORRECT! To be part of the PCMR you need 4x Quadro P6000s in SLI (watercooled, obviously), and 3x 10tb SSDs to store your PCMR memes

And true, but there's also the kids that just find the most expensive components possible and slap them together to look cool, "Oh look at me I stole my mom's credit card". Like the one kid on here that made a build with an SLI Bridge, and only one card.

k

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

k

13171.jpg

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540