1200w for 1080ti 3 way sli

Go to solution Solved by DildorTheDecent,
1 minute ago, Enderman said:

99% of games do not support multi-GPU, so it is in fact no gain to add more cards.

Here's at least 500+ games with SLi support from Nvidia:

http://www.geforce.co.uk/games-applications/technology/sli?title=&sort_bef_combine=created DESC&sort_order=DESC&sort_by=created

I guess if you want to be autistically correct it could represent the 1%. But there are games out their that support it. As long as the games that OP plays support it then that's fine. It also isn't hard to use AFR 2. 

I've had success in BF4, Fallout 4, Crysis 3, Titanfall, DOOM and few others for SLi support. 

And SLi is also an enthusiast thing. Maybe OP finally wants to ascend. 

1 minute ago, SirFlamenco said:

Yea I see, but even if it does use 1200 watts the Evga p2 can provide something like 200 watts over this.

Yup. PSUs have overdraw. My 850 G2 can overdraw to about 1200W from the wall. Maybe further but haven't tested. 

Is an Evga 1200w p2 power supply gonna be enough to support 3 1080ti overclocked? The cpu will be overclocked and it's gonna be a 5960x and I might watercool it.

So true it hurts

Yes, however, outside of benchmarks and some specific applications, 3 way SLI is not supported. If you're gaming, 3 way SLI will not work, only 2 way. 

Yeah, but why are you buying 3 1080tis if SLI only supports two?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

10 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Yes, however, outside of benchmarks and some specific applications, 3 way SLI is not supported. If you're gaming, 3 way SLI will not work, only 2 way. 

10 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You can get it to work trough nvidia inspector, but that is not my question.

So true it hurts

6 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Old bridge + nvidia inspector profile gets 3 Way and 4 Way working again. 

Nvidia have not totally disabled 3 Way and 4 Way. 

Otherwise these benchmarks would't be a thing: 

http://hwbot.org/submission/3495753_bossmac_3dmark___fire_strike_ultra_3x_geforce_gtx_1080_ti_16702_marks

http://hwbot.org/submission/3520881_h2o_vs_ln2_3dmark___fire_strike_ultra_4x_geforce_gtx_1080_ti_25063_marks

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

4 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Old bridge + nvidia inspector profile gets 3 Way and 4 Way working again. 

Nvidia have not totally disabled 3 Way and 4 Way. 

Otherwise these benchmarks would't be a thing: 

http://hwbot.org/submission/3495753_bossmac_3dmark___fire_strike_ultra_3x_geforce_gtx_1080_ti_16702_marks

http://hwbot.org/submission/3520881_h2o_vs_ln2_3dmark___fire_strike_ultra_4x_geforce_gtx_1080_ti_25063_marks

Nvidia haven't disabled it for benchmarks like 3DMark last I heard, so there'd be no reason to even use round about ways if you're benchmarking. (I haven't looked that up, at least not recently, so may be wrong there)

Given how Nvidia has pretty much disabled it for gaming (maybe you can still get it to work, but for how long?) I wouldn't consider it a good choice. OP can do what they want, but just trying to help. 

6 minutes ago, SirFlamenco said:

You can get it to work trough nvidia inspector, but that is not my question.

Both @Enderman and I answered your question, just added an opinion/information at the end to try to help. 1200W is more than enough for 3 1080Tis. 

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Nvidia haven't disabled it for benchmarks like 3DMark last I heard, so there'd be no reason to even use round about ways if you're benchmarking. (I haven't looked that up, at least not recently, so may be wrong there)

Given how Nvidia has pretty much disabled it for gaming (maybe you can still get it to work, but for how long?) I wouldn't consider it a good choice. OP can do what they want, but just trying to help. 

Both @Enderman and I answered your question, just added an opinion at the end to try to help. 1200W is more than enough for 3 1080Tis. 

You can get it to work..

So true it hurts

A wee bit off topic why do you want 3 way sli? Any vids you can check out clearly show its a terrible idea with many games not even launching. I could understand 3 cards non sli'ed for things like rendering though. 

Does it even scale though?  Even on the 900 series when tri/quad SLI was still supported, you got pretty much zero gains adding a third card and in some places the fourth card went backwards.

Also, yes, 1200W is beyond plenty.  You could probably fit it all in 850W.  Remember that your system is probably never going to be under full cpu + gpu load at the same time.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

You can get it to work..

And it's stupid and you shouldn't do it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Hunter7263 said:

A wee bit off topic why do you want 3 way sli? Any vids you can check out clearly show its a terrible idea with many games not even launching. I could understand 3 cards non sli'ed for things like rendering though. 

I want it in order to have better fps in games and have a bigger epeen in 3D mark.

Just now, AnonymousGuy said:

Does it even scale though?  Even on the 900 series when tri/quad SLI was still supported, you got pretty much zero gains adding a third card and in some places the fourth card went backwards.

Also, yes, 1200W is beyond plenty.  You could probably fit it all in 850W.

First elaborated answer, than you. And I know the scaling is not very good but it's something I want to try.

Just now, Enderman said:

And it's stupid and you shouldn't do it.

He didn't take time to mod the drivers, as it is shown in the video I put.

So true it hurts

6 minutes ago, SirFlamenco said:

You can get it to work..

Yes, we've already established that, I didn't argue you couldn't after @DildorTheDecent explained it, just said I wouldn't recommend it. Scaling for 3+ SLI has always been bad. Now that it's not really supported (yes, you can still do it, but Nvidia doesn't really want you to), support from developers is going to be next to non-existent. 

I would advise you save the money as you'd be dropping several hundred dollars for a small improvement in some games and just a small heater in others. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Yes, we've already established that, I didn't argue you couldn't after @DildorTheDecent explained it, just said I wouldn't recommend it. 

Yup, but it's surely gonna be one hell of a system.

So true it hurts

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Yes, we've already established that, I didn't argue you couldn't after @DildorTheDecent explained it, just said I wouldn't recommend it. 

Just another example of someone with more money than sense -_-

Whatever, he can do it if he wants and just deal with the issues and stuttering and stuff.

Spoiler

Just now, SirFlamenco said:

Yup, but it's surely gonna be one hell of a system.

Updated my post with a little explaination. Basically, more than 2 way SLI has always had issues. It tends to offer very little in the way of FPS improvement and can negatively affect frame times (those matter for the perceived "smoothness" of the game). That was back when 3 and 4 way SLI was supported by Nvidia. Now that they've basically pulled official support, developers aren't taking the time to optimise the game for over 2 way SLI. Even with just 2 cards, SLI support seems to be getting worse from what I've seen. I'm having more issues with SLI than ever with recent games. 

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Just another example of someone with more money than sense -_-

Whatever, he can do it if he wants and just deal with the issues and stuttering and stuff.

Or just a proof that a 38k+ posts forum user can be wrong and get mad after this. No hate, but don't react like this.  

So true it hurts

5 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

It does some scaling on certain drivers and games. It's not the 3x gain that you would expect to get though. But then again 2 cards isn't always a 2x gain, but it's damn close. 

Three cards is 2.5x gain at best or in this case it's provably more like 2.25x at best or lower. 

1200W does sound more than enough for three 1080Ti's though. would be quite close on a 850W though. I can do 550-600 full with two 980s and 5820K under load. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Updated my post with a little explaination. Basically, more than 2 way SLI has always had issues. It tends to offer very little in the way of FPS improvement and can negatively affect frame times (those matter for the perceived "smoothness" of the game). That was back when 3 and 4 way SLI was supported by Nvidia. Now that they've basically pulled official support, developers aren't taking the time to optimise the game for over 2 way SLI. Even with just 2 cards, SLI support seems to be getting worse from what I've seen. I'm having more issues with SLI than ever with recent games. 

This build is more of a dream becoming reality. When I was younger, I used to admire so much these overkill systems but now I have the money to do one, the the roles are inverted.

1 minute ago, DildorTheDecent said:

It does some scaling on certain drivers and games. It's not the 3x gain that you would expect to get though. But then again 2 cards isn't always a 2x gain, but it's damn close. 

Three cards is 2.5x gain at best or in this case it's provably more like 2.25x at best or lower. 

1200W does sound more than enough for three 1080Ti's though. would be quite close on a 850W though. I can do 550-600 full with two 980s and 5820K under load. 

Outervision seem to estimate the overclocked system at around 1300w, is this even right?

So true it hurts

3 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

99% of games do not support multi-GPU, so it is in fact no gain to add more cards.

The ones that do will often get close to no performance increase from a third or fourth card.

What you do get is triple the power consumption, noise, and heat.

If OP's goal is just wasting as much money as possible then he should buy new titan XPs instead, those will actually give slightly more performance because of better specs per card.

Spoiler

Outervision seem to estimate the overclocked system at around 1300w, is this even right?

PSU calculators are rubbish. 

This build is more of a dream becoming reality. When I was younger, I used to admire so much these overkill systems but now I have the money to do one, the the roles are inverted.

I can understand that. Aesthetics played a massive part in my build, as well as some epeen. If I had gone for pure performance it would have been much cheaper. 

Still, I personally wouldn't be able to justify the price of a 1080Ti when it's not going to make much of a difference, but it's ultimately up to you. 

2 minutes ago, SirFlamenco said:

Completely wrong, PSU calculators generally way overestimate the power draw. 1000W could run the system just fine, 1200W will do it easy.

8 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The ones that do will often get close to no performance increase from a third or fourth card.

What you do get is triple the power consumption, noise, and heat.

If OP's goal is just wasting as much money as possible then he should buy new titan XPs instead, those will actually give slightly more performance because of better specs per card.

Pretty much all the games support 3 and 4 way sli with Pascal, as long as you create custom profiles in Nvidia inspector.

7 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

PSU calculators are rubbish. 

5 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Completely wrong, PSU calculators generally way overestimate the power draw. 1000W could run the system just fine, 1200W will do it easy.

Yea I see, but even if it does use 1200 watts the Evga p2 can provide something like 200 watts over this.

So true it hurts

Pretty much all the games support 3 and 4 way sli with Pascal, as long as you create custom profiles in Nvidia inspector

No, they actually don't, but you can find out for yourself.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Here's at least 500+ games with SLi support from Nvidia:

http://www.geforce.co.uk/games-applications/technology/sli?title=&sort_bef_combine=created DESC&sort_order=DESC&sort_by=created

I guess if you want to be autistically correct it could represent the 1%. But there are games out their that support it. As long as the games that OP plays support it then that's fine. It also isn't hard to use AFR 2. 

I've had success in BF4, Fallout 4, Crysis 3, Titanfall, DOOM and few others for SLi support. 

And SLi is also an enthusiast thing. Maybe OP finally wants to ascend. 

Yup. PSUs have overdraw. My 850 G2 can overdraw to about 1200W from the wall. Maybe further but haven't tested.