Is the switch worth it?

EliasRC

Hey guys

I currently am debating getting a switch. Currentley game mostly on my pc and xbox. Would it be worth it to get the switch. I enjoy some of the exclusives i just want to know if any of you have any input

Thanks

there are not enough games on it i got one then sent it back because after zelda what do you have not much

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

5 minutes ago, EliasRC said:

Hey guys

I currently am debating getting a switch. Currentley game mostly on my pc and xbox. Would it be worth it to get the switch. I enjoy some of the exclusives i just want to know if any of you have any input

If you're the type of person who wastes money on consoles then it's definitely worth it.

No, in my personal opinion it is not worth it. If you feel like you will get your moneys worth out of it, then go for it... But if you are having doubts nobody here will reassure you to waste your money on a shitty console. Save that money and build a desktop.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

13 minutes ago, EliasRC said:

snip

The switch as said isn't really worth it. Zelda looks cool (I don't have a switch) but so I've heard it's just another Zelda game with more shit in it.

I would say it's a gimmick, HOWEVER more games are coming out for it. Apparently Payday 2, but.... That's an old ass game, not to mention the steam summer sale is coming up. (I played payday 1 & 2 a few times. It's kinda boring and repetitive. Not too fun.)

If you really wanted more gaming, get a PS4. VR is cheap, Kill zone, uncharted 1-4, ratchet and clank, as well as many other phenomenal exclusives are available there. If I was in your position, and didn't want to play any new xbox games, I'd see about trading for a PS4. I wanted one but meh, I have a PC. maybe in 30 years there'll be a virtual console, or I will actually get one.

I've got one and (though I seem to be the minority) I enjoy it quite a bit. As someone with a nice gaming pc, I don't need a high end, VR capable console. Something that plays cool games that aren't on pc that I can take everywhere is really cool.

I have had 0 issues with the system and Zelda is actually a really good game that I've put way too many hours into.

Mario kart and Splatoon are coming out soon, and I've got several friends I'm looking forward to smashing in both ;)

edit: continued

The joycon are a really neat idea, it's the final form of what the wii mote was. Being able to have half a controller in each hand with no boundary is really nice. Yes they have some minor connection issues, but I don't find it to be terrible and newer ones have supposedly been updated, so if you buy one now it probably won't have any issues.

Keep in mind that no console has ever had a launch with 0 issues. The switches with hardware issues or overheating problems are in the <1%, the internet age just makes it look like it's all of them.

Build: Intel S2600gz, 2x E5-2670, EVGA SC 1070, Zotac 1060 6GB mini, 48GB Micron 1333mhz ECC DDR3, 2x Intel DPS-750XB 750 watt PSU

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/elerek/saved/3T7D4D

You're asking if a console is "worth it" to an audience of PC enthusiasts. It's not going to [be] unbiased. 

That said, I'd wait a few months for more games to roll into the line-up before making a decision. If you do want a new console, I'd go with the 3DS (I know it's a handheld). Plenty of games to play and it's far more portable. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Worth it is too subjective to the person, I personally would say no it isn't because PC is my thing and if I had to buy a console it would be the PS4 since it has better exclusives

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2017 at 11:48 PM, EliasRC said:

Hey guys

Thanks

Depends on you buddy.

If you enjoy Nintendo game, then yea. If not, and don't really care about the portability aspect, then get the game on PC.

If you enjoy Nintendo game, you'll get your money worth. Plus the console looks like it will be blasted with indie titles, with so many that are and coming. And its not shit indie titles either. Nintendo pretty much has a mass number of indie dev want to publish their game on the system, that Nintendo is so far hand picking the high quality ones, that the company sees that it will help sale the console.

On 4/14/2017 at 4:48 AM, EliasRC said:

Hey guys

Thanks

People absolutely love Breath of the Wild. Nintendo have reportedly doubled their production of the Switch, probably because of the success of Breath of the Wild...and it seems like the Switch is the best place to play it.

But...if you've got a Wii U, you can play it there.

...if you don't already have a Wii U and you want to play Breath of the Wild, at this point it would probably make more sense to opt for a Switch rather than a Wii U, as the Wii U is pretty much legacy at this point.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

If you're not a die hard Nintendo fan, I wouldn't recommend one at this time.

Wow, what an ill-informed dumpster fire of responses. I guess that's what I should expect but still. Honestly I've seen threads on here about the Wii U at the point where it was basically DoA that were more positive.

Anyways, the Switch itself? It's a decent piece of hardware. Ignoring the software library just for a second (because that story will change over time) it's a unique product on the market. Nothing does what it does better. Period. If Square Enix does another Tomb Raider game and it comes to the Switch? The Switch will be the only platform that'll let you swap between a portable device and your TV seamlessly. Yes the PC version will be able to run at 4K and yes the XBOne/PS4 versions will do HDR if you have the right gear. But if you have a PC and XBOne then in terms of the hardware itself the Switch will offer you something different. You probably can't play PC games in bed or XBOne games on a plane. Is it better? Well it depends on what you want. But it is a different way to play games.

The whine you hear about hardware faults? I'm fairly confident that's just noise. There was one issue with the first batch which has since been addressed. JoyCon would desync more easily than they should have been. Nintendo has been offering replacements and resolved the issue in the second batch. And for the 10% of the time I use mine on the TV I'm playing with the Pro Controller anyways. The other stuff seems to mostly be the usual sorts of manufacturing faults but blown well out of proportion because that's what the internet likes to do. It's anecdotal but I for one haven't had any issues with mine and I haven't seen anyone talk about any issues with theirs either. Just people who don't have one talking about how they've heard stories about how people are having issues.

Lastly, software. Games. Games are why you'd buy any console. Frankly if there aren't games you're interested in its not worth it. As it stands the Switch is only a couple of months old, not even that. The only game worth getting it for right now is Zelda. Mario Kart 8 comes out this week. If neither of those interest you at all don't buy it now. Wait until there are a few games you want to get already out on the thing. And that's probably the best advice for the system right now. Is it worth it? Probably not until more games are out.... unless you are a Nintendo fan and had to play the definitive version of the new Zelda on the day it came out

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2017 at 3:03 AM, skywake said:

Snip

This is the best way I have seen someone come up with a conclusion about the switch. I already had a Wii and GC, but they didn't really interest me anymore, But when the switch came out it really interested me. I really wanted to play the new Zelda game everyone had been talking about and also wanted Mario Kart 8. My wife didn't really want it at the time, though now that we have it we play mario kart together all of the time, and I love the new Zelda game (Haven't had so much fun with a new zelda since WW) It was well worth it to me to have something to play with my non gamer wife. Snipperclips looks like something she would like as well. I am already seeing so mant good games in line up for it that I would say it is worth it for me. With games coming out every week, I will well get my moneys worth. As for problems with it, I have had 0. It is a fun and solid system, and I believe anyone who likes nintendo games should get it

On 4/13/2017 at 11:06 PM, fpo said:

The switch as said isn't really worth it. Zelda looks cool (I don't have a switch) but so I've heard it's just another Zelda game with more shit in it.

I would say it's a gimmick, HOWEVER more games are coming out for it. Apparently Payday 2, but.... That's an old ass game, not to mention the steam summer sale is coming up. (I played payday 1 & 2 a few times. It's kinda boring and repetitive. Not too fun.)

If you really wanted more gaming, get a PS4. VR is cheap, Kill zone, uncharted 1-4, ratchet and clank, as well as many other phenomenal exclusives are available there. If I was in your position, and didn't want to play any new xbox games, I'd see about trading for a PS4. I wanted one but meh, I have a PC. maybe in 30 years there'll be a virtual console, or I will actually get one.

Zelda is a great game I would know cuz I actually have it

3 minutes ago, Gamerguy207 said:

Zelda is a great game I would know cuz I actually have it

to be fair, SINCE I have made that post I have played a LITTLE bit. And I have watched some. If I were to get the game (of which I am not) I would prefer to purchase it for the Wii U as that system is older so it's cheaper, and has more storage for other games. Not to deny Zelda BOTW's great features within the game, I would say it is not worth the purchase of a switch as it is available on the Wii U without CONTENT restriction. Graphics perhaps may be cut down but I don't know the technicalities. 

I stand by my statement saying that the Switch is not worth it. I would personally opt for a PS4, or lacking that an xbox 360/PS3 and wii U as there's so many games at cheap prices littering the market as a great argument made in this video older systems are at an advantage IMO:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiG7JXB__rTAhXBPiYKHdz4CZ4QtwIIJzAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DigAV9ZA-Alg&usg=AFQjCNHusJcjQis6fA4gbm0i4iBKkQxqeQ&sig2=FcVOa98uWxDo5XsdVHjq4A

(Top 10: Reasons the Xbox 360 still kicks ass. - YouTube by: Green Ham Gaming)

6 minutes ago, fpo said:

to be fair, SINCE I have made that post I have played a LITTLE bit. And I have watched some. If I were to get the game (of which I am not) I would prefer to purchase it for the Wii U as that system is older so it's cheaper, and has more storage for other games. Not to deny Zelda BOTW's great features within the game, I would say it is not worth the purchase of a switch as it is available on the Wii U without CONTENT restriction. Graphics perhaps may be cut down but I don't know the technicalities. 

I stand by my statement saying that the Switch is not worth it. I would personally opt for a PS4, or lacking that an xbox 360/PS3 and wii U as there's so many games at cheap prices littering the market as a great argument made in this video older systems are at an advantage IMO:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiG7JXB__rTAhXBPiYKHdz4CZ4QtwIIJzAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DigAV9ZA-Alg&usg=AFQjCNHusJcjQis6fA4gbm0i4iBKkQxqeQ&sig2=FcVOa98uWxDo5XsdVHjq4A

(Top 10: Reasons the Xbox 360 still kicks ass. - YouTube by: Green Ham Gaming)

Wot you said it has more storage for games yet the switch and Wii U have the same on board storage another thing wrong is how is there "content restrictions" on the switch there's no difference in the games besides graphics get your facts right plz. Plus you don't even have a switch so why should u get a say in it I believe when more games come out the switch will be great

Just now, Gamerguy207 said:

Wot you said it has more storage for games yet the switch and Wii U have the same on board storage another thing wrong is how is there "content restrictions" on the switch there's no difference in the games besides graphics 

The Wii U has more storage in certain options from what I remember. 

I said there were NO content restrictions. I said the only difference was potentially graphics. The Wii U would be the lesser of the 2 in fidelity. 

1 minute ago, fpo said:

The Wii U has more storage in certain options from what I remember. 

I said there were NO content restrictions. I said the only difference was potentially graphics. The Wii U would be the lesser of the 2 in fidelity. 

Rip my bad it's late and night so I'm not reading right but still the switch is a great console 

5 minutes ago, Gamerguy207 said:

Rip my bad it's late and night so I'm not reading right but still the switch is a great console 

It seems so (switch being great), however I don't think the library can compete atm, also I don't know that 3rd party devs (besides indies) want to support it. 

I exclude indies as often times they'll have a port for every major competing system. ie PC, Xbone, PS4, PS VVeeba, 3DS. Also a large portion of indie games are what I like to call YouTube games (genital jousting.... Donald Trump Assassin thingy) or just bad/boring. Yeah shovel knight was good (only played the first level at friend's house) but that's a near (if not) instant classic. 

ps, don't worry about it, fatigue gets the best of us. 

6 minutes ago, fpo said:

It seems so (switch being great), however I don't think the library can compete atm, also I don't know that 3rd party devs (besides indies) want to support it. 

I exclude indies as often times they'll have a port for every major competing system. ie PC, Xbone, PS4, PS VVeeba, 3DS. Also a large portion of indie games are what I like to call YouTube games (genital jousting.... Donald Trump Assassin thingy) or just bad/boring. Yeah shovel knight was good (only played the first level at friend's house) but that's a near (if not) instant classic. 

ps, don't worry about it, fatigue gets the best of us. 

Why wouldn't they wan put to support it specs are fine for want the games are plus have you seen the game list and this game list doesn't show games in the future cuz the switch hasn't been out that long and Nintendo consoles have a life span of 6 years

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_Switch_games

24 minutes ago, Gamerguy207 said:

snip

After reviewing the list your provided I didn't see too many major studios. Most were indie teams.

The major titles (even those that were by big companies; Skyrim, Lego Worlds, Skylanders) are already on a large portion of other systems, most being a few years old.

The list did contain many 'kid's' games (Not understating. I loved Lego Star wars, and no Payday is not a kid's game) it seems more aimed at children than a game system for "older" people. 

I questioned the system's adoption and to my surprise:

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/1660460/nintendo-switch-sales-just-broke-a-record

Very well done. 

At this time I would not stray from my statement that I would not buy the Nintendo switch now, but from the recent evidence you provided, I would like to append that it would be a great system to look out for in the future depending on what comes out for it exclusively if there is a sale on the system. ie American Black Fridays may be a great time to get that and some last gen games you may have missed.

The switch, and some indie games could be fun. However because I already have a decent enough gaming PC, and many of the popular indie games on the list wouldn't require beefy computers I would urge many to wait or get a different system. If the case comes down to you really want to game on the go, and you don't have any of the games, nor do you a PC you would game on (ie you have 1 computer strictly for working) then it would be a better thought. It would be a nice option for kids if you have some. 

2 minutes ago, fpo said:

After reviewing the list your provided I didn't see too many major studios. Most were indie teams.

The major titles (even those that were by big companies; Skyrim, Lego Worlds, Skylanders) are already on a large portion of other systems, most being a few years old.

The list did contain many 'kid's' games (Not understating. I loved Lego Star wars, and no Payday is not a kid's game) it seems more aimed at children than a game system for "older" people. 

I questioned the system's adoption and to my surprise:

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/1660460/nintendo-switch-sales-just-broke-a-record

Very well done. 

At this time I would not stray from my statement that I would not buy the Nintendo switch now, but from the recent evidence you provided, I would like to append that it would be a great system to look out for in the future depending on what comes out for it exclusively if there is a sale on the system. ie American Black Fridays may be a great time to get that and some last gen games you may have missed.

The switch, and some indie games could be fun. However because I already have a decent enough gaming PC, and many of the popular indie games on the list wouldn't require beefy computers I would urge many to wait or get a different system. If the case comes down to you really want to game on the go, and you don't have any of the games, nor do you a PC you would game on (ie you have 1 computer strictly for working) then it would be a better thought. It would be a nice option for kids if you have some. 

I guess its one of those things where it just depends on you and your life style like me I have a switch, pc and PS4 but other people see the need in only pc so again I guess it just depends on u

• 2 weeks later...

If you're die hard Nintendo fan like I am then of course the Switch is worth it. I personally am holding off on buying it currently however as there are some design aspects I don't much care for, namely the plastic on the screen being soft and susceptible to scratching when docking or undocking it. I'm hoping for a revision which resolves some of the issues before I buy it and hopefully by that time there'll be more games out for it.

On 5/27/2017 at 10:33 PM, Seamonster420 said:

If you're die hard Nintendo fan like I am then of course the Switch is worth it. I personally am holding off on buying it currently however as there are some design aspects I don't much care for, namely the plastic on the screen being soft and susceptible to scratching when docking or undocking it. I'm hoping for a revision which resolves some of the issues before I buy it and hopefully by that time there'll be more games out for it.

I just grabbed a glass screen protector.

Build: Intel S2600gz, 2x E5-2670, EVGA SC 1070, Zotac 1060 6GB mini, 48GB Micron 1333mhz ECC DDR3, 2x Intel DPS-750XB 750 watt PSU

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/elerek/saved/3T7D4D

I'd say, if you have to ask, then the answer should probably be: No.

I don't think there's a good argument for talking someone into buying a Switch at this point but Super Mario Odyssey is on its way (reportedly a sand-box type game)...

...but, if that, Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Kart 8 Deluxe isn't argument enough for buying one, I'd say take another look at it towards the end of its lifespan to see what other releases there have been for it (that you might want to play).

But having said that: There's a new Luigi's Mansion coming to the Switch (for me that's enough for me to purchase).

But yeah...personally, for me: Breath of the Wild & Luigi's Mansion are enough for me to purchase. I don't like playing 3D platformers in stereoscopic 2D so, not sure about Super Mario Odyssey, but I still have Galaxy 2 to play through so, I'm hoping it'll get me into the idea (I've been relegated to playing stereoscopic 3D platformers on my PS3 (Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper and Ratchet & Clank (also God of War))...I need an nVidea 3D kit (Alice Madness Returns has a Stereoscopic 3D P.C. release (just typing that makes my life a better place)).

http://uk.ign.com/games/upcoming/nintendo-switch?filter=latest

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2