NES Classic Edition Has Been Discontinued

VagabondWraith
Nintendo is discontinuing the NES Classic Edition, a plug-and-play console that became popular with collectors as soon as it launched last fall.

A Nintendo representative confirmed that the last shipments of the NES Classic Editions will hit stores this month. Once that stock dries up, retailers will not receive any additional new consoles.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/4/13/15293030/nes-classic-edition-discontinued

I swear. Nintendo makes some of the stupidest decisions. I was wanting one for retail price and now they're discontinuing them 5 months later? WTH Nintendo. So the only way to get one is to pay $200+ dollars on eBay. I wanted one for nostalgia reasons but I guess that won't be happening as I refuse to pay scalpers prices.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

I don't think this follows proper format. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, Kherm said:

It's almost like they don't want money

Nintendo doesn't need the money. They can survive for some decades without getting a profit with no issue.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Nintendo doesn't need the money. They can survive for some decades without getting a profit with no issue.

Yes, I completely understand that. But, come on, what were they thinking with this one? they're shooting themselves in the foot.

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Just now, Kherm said:

Yes, I completely understand that. But, come on, what were they thinking with this one? they're shooting themselves in the foot.

I mean, they only wanted to do one production run of the Classic, but fans wanted more so they did what was asked.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Ahem

EMULATORS!!!

Pls no ban theres legitimate ways to use emulators, I'm not promoting piracy.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Maybe they are releasing a similar product in a little while and thought this would undermine it...  idk Just shootin ideas.

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

6 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

5c955567982c41fb3d3e236c895fbeafc5091060

I have had my run into the ban hammer back in the halo reach days.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 5800x
  • Motherboard
    Asus ROG Strix B550
  • RAM
    Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200MHz 32GB (16x2)
  • GPU
    EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080TI
  • Case
    Fractal Design Define R5
  • Storage
    WD Black SN750 500GB NVMe SSD | WD Green 2TB HD | WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 850W
  • Display(s)
    Asus 1920x1080p 144hz
  • Cooling
    Cooler Master Master Liquid 240
  • Keyboard
    Logitech Pro TKL
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502
  • Sound
    Logitech G733
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

This only way this makes sense to me is if Nintendo for some reason doesn't like printing money, or they think further sales would cannibalize some future product/service.

12 minutes ago, ChineseChef said:

This only way this makes sense to me is if Nintendo for some reason doesn't like printing money, or they think further sales would cannibalize some future product/service.

Virtual Console on Switch.

Classic Edition is roughly 2$ per game, at 30 games, 60$ MSRP.

Regular price on Virtual Console is 5$ for game, for NES.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

50 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Ahem

EMULATORS!!!

Pls no ban theres legitimate ways to use emulators, I'm not promoting piracy.

Hate to be the bearer of good news. Emulation is 100% legal in most countries, otherwise, Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft would all be in hot water because they each have methods of emulating their older systems. PS2 and PS3 fatboy use hardware level emulation, the PS4 uses cloud based emulation. The XBOne emulates Xbox 360 to run those games, and Nintendo has the virtual console.

Only issue with emulation via PC is getting/having the content legally. You have to own a physical copy, or a license, and you have to either download a ROM from an official source (of which, there are none) or made a backup of a physical copy. With NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, and WiiU, it takes very specific hardware, and sometimes running very specific bootleg firmware. At least with PS1 and PS2 emulation, you can just run a game off of the disk.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

ehQwHCO.png

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Great Christmas present, and, while Nintendo does seem to mostly hate making gobs of money (more than they do), I can see a reason to stop. This really always looked like a small project from one of their design teams, so it was a pretty low-risk venture.  But, like some ideas that are "too good", this probably cannibalizes VC sales they'd rather not.

Or maybe there's a classic SNES coming in a year or two, haha.

Oh Nintendo, it was literally weeks ago you denied claims that you'd ended production of the NES Classics and assured everyone you would still be selling them.

4 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Hate to be the bearer of good news. Emulation is 100% legal in most countries, otherwise, Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft would all be in hot water because they each have methods of emulating their older systems. PS2 and PS3 fatboy use hardware level emulation, the PS4 uses cloud based emulation. The XBOne emulates Xbox 360 to run those games, and Nintendo has the virtual console.

Only issue with emulation via PC is getting/having the content legally. You have to own a physical copy, or a license, and you have to either download a ROM from an official source (of which, there are none) or made a backup of a physical copy. With NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, and WiiU, it takes very specific hardware, and sometimes running very specific bootleg firmware. At least with PS1 and PS2 emulation, you can just run a game off of the disk.

Emulators are perfectly legal as long as they contain no code taken from the original hardware, that is true.

ROMs are an entirely different story however because

1) Technically speaking you don't own a game, you buy a license to play said game but not the game itself and included in that license to play is a clause that's says you agree to not modify or copy the game. From a legal point of view if you dump a ROM or obtain a dump under the premise that you own the original then you are in breach of your license. Now its worth mentioning that in some countries making a backup for protection is legal and in these countries the license cannot supersede the law but in the large majority of countries no such law exists and in those cases you are not allowed to dump a ROM or own a dump alongside the original.

2) In order to dump a ROM you (usually but not always) have to modify the hardware and use it in a way it was not intended to be used which is also in breach of the user license for the hardware.

3) By dumping a ROM you are extracting copyrighted code from hardware which opens you up to a potential lawsuit, if they can prove your facilitating the decompilation of their code then you are totally screwed.

4) The act of downloading copyrighted material is in of itself illegal in most countries whether you own the original or not.

The thing is, most companies simply don't care about their old games enough to bother protecting them and most of them are clever enough to realise that ignoring emulation is good for their brand image.

Nintendo on the other hand are very different. Don't fuck about with Nintendo stuff because they have shown that their more than willing to sue people and websites in order to protect their games, no matter how old they are.

AFAIK no one has ever been prosecuted for owning ROMs so the law is still very much grey in that regard. It takes a testing of the license by a court to set a precedence. I do know that Nintendo used DMCA to remove their old ROMs from a shit tonne of websites a while back though.

Finally don't get me wrong, I'm not against emulation, I enjoy my Retropie as much as everyone else. I just see people parroting false information over and over again and misinformation is a dangerous thing.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

The retail should have been 35 dollars based off limited functionality tbh

If it had internet connectivity to add more to your library and wireless controllers it would have been worth it.

3 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

By dumping a ROM you are extracting copyrighted code from hardware which opens you up to a potential lawsuit, if they can prove your facilitating the decompilation of their code then you are totally screwed.

In the US, copyright law protects the privilege of backing up softwares, including games. Not sure about the rest of the world, but I can't imagine that the EU would side with any corporation on any matter ever.

In order to dump a ROM you (usually but not always) have to modify the hardware and use it in a way it was not intended to be used which is also in breach of the user license for the hardware.

Hardware isn't licensed, bundled softwares are. Flashing a custom firmware isn't illegal, nor is modifying hardware.

Technically speaking you don't own a game, you buy a license to play said game but not the game itself and included in that license to play is a clause that's says you agree to not modify or copy the game.

In most countries, software licensing holds little legal ground, and the worst that can happen is a civil suit against an end user. They often overreach what law allows, and the clause is too recent to affect NES, SNES, or N64 games, and early GC games. Even if there isn't a specific legal protection for the backup of softwares, software licenses are limited to what they can be used for, and that's generally what the copyright laws of the country is.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

In the US, copyright law protects the privilege of backing up softwares, including games. Not sure about the rest of the world, but I can't imagine that the EU would side with any corporation on any matter ever.

Hardware isn't licensed, bundled softwares are. Flashing a custom firmware isn't illegal, nor is modifying hardware.

In most countries, software licensing holds little legal ground, and the worst that can happen is a civil suit against an end user. They often overreach what law allows, and the clause is too recent to affect NES, SNES, or N64 games, and early GC games. Even if there isn't a specific legal protection for the backup of softwares, software licenses are limited to what they can be used for, and that's generally what the copyright laws of the country is.

I covered all that at the end when I said the license agreements have never been tested in a court of law plus I used words like technically and legally to try and highlight the fact that while everything I said is "technically" true it doesn't necessarily mean it accurately reflects what would happen if a case ever made it to court. Its all a huge grey area.

Ftr if you buy a console you do agree to a license that says you won't modify the console in any way. Hardware is covered in the EULA as well as software.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

8 hours ago, Drak3 said:

I am exited for the Xbox 360 emulator for PC to become stable. I also like how you can use any old xbox 360 to rip games.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

16 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I am exited for the Xbox 360 emulator for PC to become stable. I also like how you can use any old xbox 360 to rip games.

yeah and the 360 has a lot of  Roms already downloadable since it was hacked to run burned Games early in its life cycle. I remeber playing black ops 1 month before re lease date was great. 

Surprised that no one mentioned the fact that the NES classic used Pirates ROMs itself.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's