FreeNAS 10 Corral Development Halted as Project Lead leaves iXsystems

dalekphalm

Source:

https://www.servethehome.com/freenas-corral-canned-development-essentially-halted-now/

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/important-announcement-regarding-freenas-corral.53502/

So iXsystems, the company behind the popular FreeNAS OS has had a huge shakeup over the last few days.

Jordan Hubbard, the project lead for the hugely anticipated FreeNAS 10 Corral release, has recently left the company. By doing so, he left a huge power vacuum, and the remaining part of the company has decided to downgrade FreeNAS 10 Corral to a "Technical Preview", and to divert resources into FreeNAS 9.x instead, with an upcoming release of 9.10.3 which will bring some of the FreeNAS Corral features down to the legacy stream.

Here is a summary of the announcement’s description of what happened:

• FreeNAS Corral was the project of a now departed project lead
  • When the lead left, the team supporting the old 9.10 codebase won an internal discussion of whether to support the new platform or to integrate features into the old system
  • The UI was based on a niche kit instead of a widely used standard so that was seen as a major hindrance as well as some items under the hood
  • A decision was made to essentially abandon Corral and instead build on the legacy code base.

So what will FreeNAS 9.10.3 and onward bring us? Well here's a sneak peak, already available to Nightly testers:

• Expand and improve support for jails and jail-based plugins: For maximum compatibility with lighter system requirements.
  • VM Support: We have added a new “VM” menu which allows you to host your own Virtual Machines on FreeNAS, landing in 9.10.3.
  • Docker support: As a Virtual Machine-driven service.
  • Improve support for DevOps-class alerting, PagerDuty, AWS Alerts, OpsGenie, and Slack (coming in 9.10.3).
  • Local and distributed S3 bucket support: Initial work landing in 9.10.3.
  • FreeBSD 11-stable base: Landing in 9.10.3.
  • New Angular-based web UI: You can test-drive the early work now in 9.10 nightlies prior to the upcoming 9.10.3 release.

FN11-UI.jpg

So what do I think of this?

Damn! I had tested FreeNAS Corral out for about a month before deciding to ditch it for Windows Server 2016, but before that, I had been running FreeNAS 9.10 for a while and it was pretty smooth. This is a huge deal for the home-NAS market. I can see now that Corral was a passion project for the Project Lead, but the rest of the developers seem to prefer moving the features into 9.x rather than totally redoing the OS from the ground up.

I think this could have been handled better, for sure, by the team. Corral should have never made it out the door if the only stakeholder was the project lead.

What do you guys think?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Damn shame ...

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

It's sad to hear, but I'm still personally running FreeNAS 9.3 and didn't have any plans to upgrade in the near future, so it doesn't affect me too much...for now anyway.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

It's sad to hear, but I'm still personally running FreeNAS 9.3 and didn't have any plans to upgrade in the near future, so it doesn't affect me too much...for now anyway.

Why no plans to upgrade to 9.10?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Why no plans to upgrade to 9.10?

I'm afraid of something breaking in the processes, and I don't think there was anything in 9.10 over 9.3 that was compelling to warrant the risk. Unless there is something I looked over. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Fix for night theme

Untitled.png

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Kind of a shame and I hope it doesn't impact future FreeNAS releases...  Hoping to maybe build my redundant storage NAS in the next couple of months and would like to test out FreeNAS on that one.

6 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I'm afraid of something breaking in the processes, and I don't think there was anything in 9.10 over 9.3 that was compelling to warrant the risk. Unless there is something I looked over. 

Well I don't believe there are any fundamental additions in 9.10 that would make there a large risk of something breaking in the process.

As for feature differences? No idea :P

4 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Fix for night theme

-snip-

Try again. Seems that the "Auto Colour" option for fonts is broken, as when I pasted each of those quotes, I highlighted them and selected "Automatic" colour.

I went back and removed all formatting.

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Well I don't believe there are any fundamental additions in 9.10 that would make there a large risk of something breaking in the process.

As for feature differences? No idea :P

Try again. Seems that the "Auto Colour" option for fonts is broken, as when I pasted each of those quotes, I highlighted them and selected "Automatic" colour.

I went back and removed all formatting.

Works now.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Seems like they had all of their eggs in one basket. 

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

4 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Seems like they had all of their eggs in one basket. 

Yes, but for OS development, that's not unusual.

What IS unusual about this, is that it was mainly the project lead pushing it. And now he's gone, and 4 weeks later, they've dropped Corral already. The fact that development along the Corral stream was so heavily dependent on that one guy.

1 hour ago, xVIP said:

Damn. Well, time to go back to 9.10 I suppose..

This definitely seems like it's going to be an issue with people...  Not having full release support will probably lead a lot of people to roll back to an earlier iteration with support.  Question is, how easy that will be.  If you do roll back to 9.10, maybe create a help file on any difficulties you experience. ;)

What's the key advantage of FreeNAS vs. just making a minimum Linux install with Arch and using it in file server mode?

Hmm it probably will never get finished then... :/

I planned to upgrade to Corral once it was "finished" and stable. I'm still on 9.10.1U4

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

the way the title is worded, I though FreeNAS as a project was done for o.O

1 hour ago, Bit_Guardian said:

What's the key advantage of FreeNAS vs. just making a minimum Linux install with Arch and using it in file server mode?

It just works ... less hassle such as dealing with drivers. It has all features builtin and great for home use due to web UI. Pretty much you can do everything on there. 

Well not planning to upgrade to FreeNAS 10 anyways due to 9.10.3 will support VM. I had some trouble back in beta phase with my server. 

Magical Pineapples

11 hours ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

It just works ... less hassle such as dealing with drivers. It has all features builtin and great for home use due to web UI. Pretty much you can do everything on there. 

That's kind of a misconception, at least as far as "drivers" go.  Sure, FreeNAS has a nice UI in the front end, but the back end is still FreeBSD, which is a very powerful NAS operating system without all the neat front-end stuff.  If you're building a NAS, you'll learn a ton more by trying to do it with a raw OS such as one of the Linux distros, or with FreeBSD; obviously the latter has the wonderful ZFS included which is just superb.

FWIW, my NAS is FreeBSD, built entirely on my own.  I didn't have to fight with any "drivers" or any such nonsense; I had it up and running, fully installed and with a new 16TB ZFS RAID10 (meaning 8 4TB drives) in less than 15 minutes total.  The only UI I used: the CLI.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

7 hours ago, jasonvp said:

FWIW, my NAS is FreeBSD, built entirely on my own.  I didn't have to fight with any "drivers" or any such nonsense; I had it up and running, fully installed and with a new 16TB ZFS RAID10 (meaning 8 4TB drives) in less than 15 minutes total.  The only UI I used: the CLI.

Tell me, how would that cater to a person with a less technical skillset? For example, my local computer shop?

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

1 minute ago, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

Tell me, how would that cater to a person with a less technical skillset? For example, my local computer shop?

Pretty well. Free online guides exist for just about everything at this level.

4 minutes ago, Bit_Guardian said:

Pretty well. Free online guides exist for just about everything at this level.

Second question. How many people nowadays want to use a command-line interface without being scared shitless?

No, not populations. Proportions compared to the masses.

(Hint: I am of the masses)

10 minutes ago, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

Second question. How many people nowadays want to use a command-line interface without being scared shitless?

No, not populations. Proportions compared to the masses.

(Hint: I am of the masses)

Plenty of techies. As for people in general, there's nothing to be scared of in a CLI if you have a solid guide in front of you. No one's asking you to be an expert on the command line, just enter given commands in sequence.

Also, not quite sure who that second statement was aimed at.

1 minute ago, Bit_Guardian said:

Plenty of techies. As for people in general, there's nothing to be scared of in a CLI if you have a solid guide in front of you. No one's asking you to be an expert on the command line, just enter given commands in sequence.

Also, not quite sure who that second statement was aimed at.

That's just me saying "SELL THIS IDEA OF A CLI WITHOUT GIVING ME A HEADACHE". Nothing harsh, that's all

1 minute ago, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

That's just me saying "SELL THIS IDEA OF A CLI WITHOUT GIVING ME A HEADACHE". Nothing harsh, that's all

CLI is faster, and it's pretty simple. It's just not pretty.

1 hour ago, Bit_Guardian said:

CLI is faster, and it's pretty simple. It's just not pretty.

Yep, especially when problem can't be fix through UI. I manage all my plugins manually now through commands, because plugin updates usually takes a while for maintainer to update. 

Magical Pineapples