Pfsense Router vs Ubiquiti Router

Vedeyn
Go to solution Solved by The Benjamins,
34 minutes ago, Vedeyn said:

Any thoughts on the EdgeRouter X vs Lite? Realistically the fastest my internet will ever be is 100/100 (50/50 currently, may upgrade) and all local traffic between PCs/Servers will be handled by a separate switch.

Management is the same, the lite has 512MB ram over 256MB on the X, Cpu is a little slower on the lite BUT it has hardware acceleration for packet processing(so in practice its faster).

the X can do 130 Kpps (at 64B packets) 1Gbps (at 1518B packets) when the lite can do 1 Mpps (at 64B packets) and 3Gbps (at 512B Packets)so is greatly faster at handling small packet loads.

other then that it is ports and POE pass through is needed.

I don't know how much the pps plays a part but I dont think it is a big deal for a normal home. and all this is for internet traffic because your switch will handle local traffic.

Edit: I think the pps will only matter if you host a high traffic web site off your network, most heavy traffic things people do is video streaming which uses big packets. the high pps would also be useful if you hosted a 100+ person LAN and you want everyone to be able to use the internet.

3 hours ago, Vedeyn said:

Yeah it would have been nice to see the edgerouter integrated into the unifi software as well. As I mentioned before, I actually like the software way more than I thought I would.

They're two completely different product lines - EdgeRouters stem from EdgeMax - their more mature yet still troublesome product line.

The USG is based around UniFi and while it is very similar to EdgeMax, it's terribly unstable. 

20 hours ago, zMeul said:

the security flaw everyone has

the added benefit of some ASUS routers is that they run OpenWRT and those routers can be easily switched to custom modded FW

you think pfsense doesn't have security vulnerabilities? https://www.pfsense.org/security/advisories/

Difference is with pfsense or other similar solutions you can patch those security vulnerabilities unlike the majority of home routers which almost never get firmware updates and if they do it's only for about a year then new models come out and that's it, all support stops.

Even if we assume pfsense will always have some flaw in their waiting to be found and then a patch required to fix it that home router sits there with all it's known flaws till the end of it's service life. One is safer than the other just from that alone.

Also I hate pfsense, Sophos is better.

Edit:

Custom flashing doesn't really count either, this is a comparison of default features and support which is the majority. Having to change your firmware isn't a benefit that is a detriment, something you have to do due to lack of support.

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

Difference is with pfsense or other similar solutions you can patch those security vulnerabilities unlike the majority of home routers which almost never get firmware updates and if they do it's only for about a year then new models come out and that's it, all support stops.

nope!

got my RT-N18U 2 years, 5 months and 20 days ago - exactly

ASUS released FW updates all this time, the latest update is dated 17th of February: https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/RT-N18U/HelpDesk_download

and if I don't like ASUS FW anymore, I can switch to Shibby Tomato or DDWRT

13 minutes ago, zMeul said:

nope!

got my RT-N18U 2 years, 5 months and 20 days ago - exactly

ASUS released FW updates all this time, the latest update is dated 17th of February: https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/RT-N18U/HelpDesk_download

and if I don't like ASUS FW anymore, I can switch to Shibby Tomato or DDWRT

Nice, Asus is certainly doing a much better job than the likes of D-Link or Belkin. Still you shouldn't have to switch firmware, wanting to is different though.

Just now, leadeater said:

Nice, Asus is certainly doing a much better job than the likes of D-Link or Belkin. Still you shouldn't have to switch firmware, wanting to is different though.

this is why I'm sticking with ASUS - I really like their routers