Microsoft beginning to roll out digital game refund system

In what can be looked at as a great way for trying out new games through the Xbox One and Windows Store, Microsoft is rolling out a program for a new Self-Service Refund policy.  From an article on Hexus:

http://hexus.net/gaming/news/industry/104593-microsoft-offer-xbox-one-windows-digital-games-refunds/

Evidence that Microsoft is considering a new refund policy for digital sales of Xbox and Windows games has shown up in the latest alpha of the Xbox One Insider program. Reddit user GaymerRaver took a screenshot of the key announcement on his console. In summary it said Microsoft has now begun 'self-service refunds' so that people can 'return' a digital product whenever "a game or app leases you wanting more," or in other words it doesn't live up to expectations.66b9f80e-600f-4df6-8ca9-3d0508514b89.jpg.0b247a134c7d0e5b7501a0fb59f21c6d.jpg

So the terms of this appear to be that gamers would be able to change their minds on  games purchased within 14-days and having a total gameplay limited to less than 2 hours across devices.  Of course, DLCs, Add-Ons and Season Passes are excluded from this policy and if Microsoft feels that someone is abusing the program, they reserve the right to restrict access to the Self-Service Refund system.  

Hot Hardware's Article stipulates that the program is currently only rolling out to 'select Microsoft Insiders' for the time being, however, this may be a great way for Windows to follow Valve's lead and create a system for people to try out new games as well as expand their online store.

http://hothardware.com/news/microsoft-offers-self-service-refunds-on-xbox-one-and-windows-10-games

EDIT:  To expand onto this a little bit further, I guess the program can't please everyone, especially some of the smaller Game Dev companies...  According to a WCCFTech article (so of course grains of salt may apply) the group at The Chinese Room (Dear Esther, Amnesia) feels that the self service refunds should not be based just on the number of hours played, but should instead operate on the games completion.

http://wccftech.com/the-chinese-room-xbox-refunds-bollocks/

About a year ago, they not-so-covertly accused CD Projekt RED of sexism in both The Witcher and the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077. Now they’ve targeted the brand new self-service refunds program that Microsoft made available to select members of the Insider program, saying that it is “bollocks” and refunds should instead operate on a percentage of the game’s completion.

Bit depressed about Xbox jumping on the 2hr refund BOLLOCKS ARSEHOLE WHY WHY WHY YOU FOOLS CANNOT SUSTAIN NORMAL TEMPER WTF MODERN CULTURE— The Chinese Room (@ChineseRoom) April 13, 2017

It's REALLY simple. Refunds should operate off a percentage of game completed. Simple, fair, representative. This 2 hour thing is just cock

— The Chinese Room (@ChineseRoom) April 13, 2017

This does raise an interesting point/question, should your refund be based on whether you enjoy the game or not or does it make sense to compensate the game devs a bit as well for their development time and costs.  

1 minute ago, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

Steam much?

It took Valve 12 years to implement their broken ass refund system.

It took Microsoft about three and a half in this case.

As long as it works here, I'm alright with it.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

Steam much?

Exactly, I'm hoping Microsoft is realizing their Windows 10 Store/Game Library is really not used and are trying to come up with a better way to get more of a user base so that it builds the library more...

3 minutes ago, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

Steam much?

What's your point? 

Just now, AUniqueName said:

What's your point? 

A 10-second comment

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

Good, refunds should be an option in general. Though of course always better not to pre-order now days.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

10 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

It took Valve 12 years to implement their broken ass refund system.

It took Microsoft about three and a half in this case.

As long as it works here, I'm alright with it.

GFWL launched in, I think, 2007 (or 2009?). So, that's 10 years (or 8?) that it took Microsoft - not 3.5. And they implemented this far later than Steam.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

8 hours ago, WMGroomAK said:

Exactly, I'm hoping Microsoft is realizing their Windows 10 Store/Game Library is really not used and are trying to come up with a better way to get more of a user base so that it builds the library more...

You'd be surprised. 

It's used more than you think.

6 hours ago, huilun02 said:

On Windows there's nothing to refund...

The OP meant on the Windows Store.

There are plenty of games you might want to refund on the Windows Store if you were unfortunate enough to buy some like the Call Of Duty: Infinite Warfare.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

The only game that I didn't enjoy from the Windows Store was Quantum Break. At least there are no horrifyingly bad indies on the Windows Store...

Spoiler

Never mind, Candy Crush.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

Never mind, Candy Crush.

Wait I thought Candy Crush was a free game? Lol, if you can't tell I have never played it before.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

17 minutes ago, Orangeator said:

Wait I thought Candy Crush was a free game? Lol, if you can't tell I have never played it before.

Is it? I haven't either. I keep seeing it as a suggestion.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

7 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Is it? I haven't either. I keep seeing it as a suggestion.

It's what I like to call a "Free To Pay" game.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

This is great news, similar (if not the same) refund system as steam. Taking a page out of steams book. Microsoft are slowly but surely listening and improving, this is good to see.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

I won't use the cancer that is the Windows store, but this is nice. More digital stores should implement things like this. 

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

I won't use the cancer that is the Windows store, but this is nice. More digital stores should implement things like this. 

This affects more than just the Windows Store you're used to or know.

Xbox Games will also have refunds because of this.

Well at least now you can buy UMP game without worrying about it being shit port if you decide to not read reviews for some reason.

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

Just as an FYI... I've edited the post to add in the following response to the program listed on WCCF Tech.

EDIT:  To expand onto this a little bit further, I guess the program can't please everyone, especially some of the smaller Game Dev companies...  According to a WCCFTech article (so of course grains of salt may apply) the group at The Chinese Room (Dear Esther, Amnesia) feels that the self service refunds should not be based just on the number of hours played, but should instead operate on the games completion.
http://wccftech.com/the-chinese-room-xbox-refunds-bollocks/

About a year ago, they not-so-covertly accused CD Projekt RED of sexism in both The Witcher and the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077. Now they’ve targeted the brand new self-service refunds program that Microsoft made available to select members of the Insider program, saying that it is “bollocks” and refunds should instead operate on a percentage of the game’s completion.

Bit depressed about Xbox jumping on the 2hr refund BOLLOCKS ARSEHOLE WHY WHY WHY YOU FOOLS CANNOT SUSTAIN NORMAL TEMPER WTF MODERN CULTURE— The Chinese Room (@ChineseRoom) April 13, 2017

It's REALLY simple. Refunds should operate off a percentage of game completed. Simple, fair, representative. This 2 hour thing is just cock
— The Chinese Room (@ChineseRoom) April 13, 2017

This does raise an interesting point/question, should your refund be based on whether you enjoy the game or not or does it make sense to compensate the game devs a bit as well for their development time and costs.