So, apparently Burger King Hijacked Google Assistant

Original Article here:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/04/google-burger-king-feud-over-control-of-the-google-assistant/

So, Burger king used the "OK, Google" feature and kind of hijacked the feature to their own advantage.

There was a TV ad which was fifteen seconds long and it exploited the fact that anybody could trigger the "Ok Google" feature on an android phone.

Here's the ad which was used.

2017-04-13.png.4695f0fb6596ac0f212f7709254aed30.png

It's sure to say that Google was not pleased with this, and has issued a server side update to remove the Burger King recording which the assistant would read out (Which would include the ingredients from the Wikipedia page, which of course people tried to vandalise, and some were even successful to an extent)

According to the article, now, the ad would still trigger the Google Home but the assistant would not trigger a voice response, instead it would just go back to sleep.

However, if an user asked specifically what a whopper burger is, it would still give a voice response. 

Idk, what do you guys think about this whole thing?

Guerilla marketing, love it.

It's a bit of harmless fun and it shows the silliness of google always listening for that phrase, If it forces google to rethink the whole activation thing quicker, that's a good thing also

i mean its a pretty funny idea but i completely agree with google blocking it. burger king shows us why voice activation without proper voice recognition is a bad idea.

It's a cool idea but Google Assistant is trained to your voice, so it would only work if your voice sounded similar to the man in the advert. For instance, it did not activate Google Assistant on my phone, yet may activate it on other people's phones. It also depends on settings as to whether you even have OK Google enabled from everywhere on the phone. 

3 minutes ago, tlink said:

i mean its a pretty funny idea but i completely agree with google blocking it. burger king shows us why voice activation without proper voice recognition is a bad idea.

I don't know how he did, as I don't have a phone with Google Assistant, it but one of my friends made it so only he could trigger it with his voice so now we can not search things on his phone, also he is one of those people who don't like anything "bad" in their search history so i was fun...

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

guys... 100% this is not a ploy to make people realize their phone is always listening, this is just another horseshit marketing tactic BK is using to avoid paying for longer/better adverts and to try and force consumer interaction. 

the upside is that if theres pr fallout over them hijacking phones they can fall back on the whole "we're just trying to make you aware of your own security!" gimmick. Its pathetic, honestly. It doesnt take a genius to see it. 

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Haha brilliant. Annoying AF, but quite clever.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

So that's why the Whopper article on Wikipedia kept being vandalized to sound like an ad.

C9RzuvOXcAAWH06.jpg

Jokes on you cos I use Cortana and my phone doesn't have hands free voice activation features.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

This doesnt just affect google home, this can be done with Alexa or even Cortana. 

Not sure why this is all of a sudden an big issue with home, when right now there is a pizza hut commercial where he says "alexa, order me a pizza", which for whoever has that setup on their Alexa will have a pizza ordered and delivered. Like actually spending money. But that never caught the news somehow. 

Honestly companies should be fined for this. 

IIRC the relevant Wikipedia page has been locked after trolls repeatedly changed the first few lines (which Google Assistant reads aloud) to inform people that it consisted of toenail clippings, cyanide etc.

EDIT :

timestamped to 48:06, it really gets good at 50:20

Funny and brilliant.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Whoever thought of this needs a pay rise

6 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Jokes on you cos I use Cortana and my phone doesn't have hands free voice activation features.

I always say "hey Cortana" when on Xbox to set it off on my friends console. Annoys the hell out of him. 

I do not like that the device is always listening for that feature to work. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

11 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

I always say "hey Cortana" when on Xbox to set it off on my friends console. Annoys the hell out of him. 

I do not like that the device is always listening for that feature to work. 

How do expect it to work if its not always listening? And please do not say to manually turn it on because that defeats the whole purpose of voice assistants. 

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

How do expect it to work if its not always listening? And please do not say to manually turn it on because that defeats the whole purpose of voice assistants. 

oh I understand it is needed I just don't trust it. Having s device always listening you everything you ever say and then having to take a companies word that they won't save and send it to some random server? No thanks. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

4 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Hands free voice activation requires checking a special phrase.

Manual activation is fine as well cos I know when it's listening to me and when it's not.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),