Jump to content
EdwardIIV

Painting some GPU bits help?

16 hours ago, EdwardIIV said:

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any disassembly videos in regards to this specific model of the GPU (even the GTX 1080 and 1070 models didn't have a disassembly video). 

Any more suggestions, or is masking the best solution?

It looks like it may be painted or an applied decal, you can use a vinyl wrap if you want it to be removable but other than that masking off those portions and the rest of the GPU for painting is going to be the best. 

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Good day everyone.

I have made my fair share of threads regarding my upcoming PC build, but I keep changing my mind in regards to some components;

I was initially planning on going for the GTX 1080 Ti FE, but realised that it is limited to only the green led (which I strongly dislike), so through more research I found the MSI GTX 1080 Ti Aero, found here:

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-AERO-11G-OC.html#hero-overview

 

It doesn't have RGB, but the light is white, and looks pretty good when it's off as the text is simply white and would fit in with almost any build, so everything's ok there. I may end up getting a different variant of the 1080 Ti, but as of now say I went with the MSI Aero; is there a more or less simple way to paint those green parts of the card into something like black or grey instead?

 

I know Linus and some other channels have some tutorials, but is there perhaps a way of doing it without disassembling the entire card? Something a little more safe maybe?

 

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Eh. You would ruin the paint. Masking parts is not preferred. Just dissaamble it. It's not hard. Some screws to remove and done. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EdwardIIV said:

is there a more or less simple way to paint those green parts of the card into something like black or grey instead

Yes. you get the paint you want, you get some painters tape, you tape EVERYTHING else off and make sure that you have very clean, very straight tape lines on the edges where you intend to paint (so many people tape sloppily and end up with a wavy or messy paint line as a result). but yes. taping and painting is the way to go if you are capable of taping properly. You could also get some semi-transparent painters tape, tape down the whole thing, then take a ruler and a razer blade, and use the straight edge as a guide for the blade to cut perfectly straight lines along whatever edge you wish to paint. you would need to be delicate here though, as you are not wanting to cut into the heatsink, but merely to score the tape so you can then remove it and you get a very clean finished edge so your paint looks prestine after application.



that being said, those green parts of the card are going to be the least visible part on the entire GPU unless you do some sort of vertical mount mod so its the kind of thing you could probably avoid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Eh. You would ruin the paint. Masking parts is not preferred. Just dissaamble it. It's not hard. Some screws to remove and done. 

Problem is, even if I disassembled it, I strongly doubt that green bit is a separate piece. If it was, I'd probably be fine with disassembling it, taking the green piece alone and painting it, but there probably isn't a difference.

 

6 hours ago, Zyndo said:

Yes. you get the paint you want, you get some painters tape, you tape EVERYTHING else off and make sure that you have very clean, very straight tape lines on the edges where you intend to paint (so many people tape sloppily and end up with a wavy or messy paint line as a result). but yes. taping and painting is the way to go if you are capable of taping properly. You could also get some semi-transparent painters tape, tape down the whole thing, then take a ruler and a razer blade, and use the straight edge as a guide for the blade to cut perfectly straight lines along whatever edge you wish to paint. you would need to be delicate here though, as you are not wanting to cut into the heatsink, but merely to score the tape so you can then remove it and you get a very clean finished edge so your paint looks prestine after application.



that being said, those green parts of the card are going to be the least visible part on the entire GPU unless you do some sort of vertical mount mod so its the kind of thing you could probably avoid.

I'll probably try this way out, as I am quite familiar to it. I know it's not entirely visible, but I'm looking to enter some contests with my PC build (such as TechSource's Setup Wars and randomfrankp's Room Tour Project), so every bit counts. And anyway, the side of the GPU says Geforce GTX with the a green background, and that'll be visible.

 

Cheers and thanks to the two of you!

Still open for suggestions if there are any.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, EdwardIIV said:

Problem is, even if I disassembled it, I strongly doubt that green bit is a separate piece. If it was, I'd probably be fine with disassembling it, taking the green piece alone and painting it, but there probably isn't a difference.

 

I'll probably try this way out, as I am quite familiar to it. I know it's not entirely visible, but I'm looking to enter some contests with my PC build (such as TechSource's Setup Wars and randomfrankp's Room Tour Project), so every bit counts. And anyway, the side of the GPU says Geforce GTX with the a green background, and that'll be visible.

 

Cheers and thanks to the two of you!

Still open for suggestions if there are any.

Yeah you got a point. Try looking up videos of similar card being disassembled. Maybe that could shed some light. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any disassembly videos in regards to this specific model of the GPU (even the GTX 1080 and 1070 models didn't have a disassembly video). 

 

Any more suggestions, or is masking the best solution?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Best Answer
16 hours ago, EdwardIIV said:

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any disassembly videos in regards to this specific model of the GPU (even the GTX 1080 and 1070 models didn't have a disassembly video). 

Any more suggestions, or is masking the best solution?

It looks like it may be painted or an applied decal, you can use a vinyl wrap if you want it to be removable but other than that masking off those portions and the rest of the GPU for painting is going to be the best. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
16 hours ago, W-L said:

It looks like it may be painted or an applied decal, you can use a vinyl wrap if you want it to be removable but other than that masking off those portions and the rest of the GPU for painting is going to be the best. 

Alright, I'll probably try that.

Will the finish look completely fine and like it was never painted perhaps?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, EdwardIIV said:

Alright, I'll probably try that.

Will the finish look completely fine and like it was never painted perhaps?

If done correctly it wont' be very different from what it looks like, personally since it's so simple I would go with vinyl wrap as it's easy to cut and apply. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
21 hours ago, W-L said:

If done correctly it wont' be very different from what it looks like, personally since it's so simple I would go with vinyl wrap as it's easy to cut and apply. 

I'll look into that for sure.

Thanks for all your help mate!

 

Cheers!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2017 at 3:05 AM, W-L said:

It looks like it may be painted or an applied decal, you can use a vinyl wrap if you want it to be removable but other than that masking off those portions and the rest of the GPU for painting is going to be the best. 

 

If it's a vinyl wrap, contact Gatorwraps, they wrap all kinds of crazy things and lettering decals. You might also want to check Gatorprints.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×