First camera for $500 (with kit lens)

I'm in the market for my first camera. Equal priority to photo and video quality and features, since we shoot video projects for school but I also want to take an interest in basic photography. DSLR or mirrorless, it doesn't matter. I'll be sticking with the basic kit lens for a while until I got all the basics of photography and cinematography covered.

I'm looking at the Nikon D3300, Nikon D3400, Nikon D5300, Sony a5100, and Canon 700D. Can anyone suggest better alternatives?

2 hours ago, djdelarosa25 said:

I'm in the market for my first camera. Equal priority to photo and video quality and features, since we shoot video projects for school but I also want to take an interest in basic photography. DSLR or mirrorless, it doesn't matter. I'll be sticking with the basic kit lens for a while until I got all the basics of photography and cinematography covered.

I'm looking at the Nikon D3300, Nikon D3400, Nikon D5300, Sony a5100, and Canon 700D. Can anyone suggest better alternatives?

Any 1 of those will do fine, I personally qouldn't go with the sony due to very poord battery life lack of a viewfinder, and poor lens collection, although it does make up for part of this with its compact size. 

If you have any friends or family members who own lenses already, then go with a camera from their system, that way you can use some of theirs at times. If not, it pains me to say, but I'd go with the nikon d5300 or d3400. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

I have the D3100 and it's a great camera, the high models have a higher MP only I believe. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

I have the D3100 and it's a great camera, the high models have a higher MP only I believe. 

That's a 7 year old camera, the processor is going to be outdated and the focusing system will probably be subpar. Also, it will likely have less creature comforts like in camera processing, a smaller buffer etc. 

However, the mp count should by no means be the first, second or even third factor when considering a camera purchase (within reason, if its under say 15mp then its probably too outdated.).  There are other much more significant factors to consider. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

26 minutes ago, cc143 said:

That's a 7 year old camera, the processor is going to be outdated and the focusing system will probably be subpar. Also, it will likely have less creature comforts like in camera processing, a smaller buffer etc. 

However, the mp count should by no means be the first, second or even third factor when considering a camera purchase (within reason, if its under say 15mp then its probably too outdated.).  There are other much more significant factors to consider. 

I have had my camera for a number of years and it is still doing really well, have no need to upgrade as of yet. of course it will be outdated but that doesn't make it bad.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

5 minutes ago, djdelarosa25 said:

Bump.

I'm considering the D3400, D5300, and the 700D.

Just pick one, they are all the same, I'd go with the canon because it makes it easier to collect lenses and upgrade in the future, but the real world differences are minimal.