Getting stopped from installing Ubuntu on my server, unknown ungooglable error

Trying to install ubuntu on my server with a 120GB SSD and 250GB HDD, windows server 2016 on the SSD. Im trying to boot from USB, which I did just fine months ago, to install ubuntu. It boots and loads like the ubuntu installer is started (purple screen with loading) then after it loads im hit with this error:

ZS5RZa0.jpg

With this error I can't do anything, only a full restart. I've tried different USB ports, different USBs, different USB capacities, nothing. These USBs working fine doing the same thing installing on my other PC. Googling this brings me no luck, it seems everything else getting this error can simply boot up without issue. Worth noting: I get the first line, then over the next 5-10 minutes the following lines show up. Initially all I see is the "Can't request omem region".

My guess is maybe this has something to do with my motherboard (listed in my signature)?

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

did you do a checksum on the iso you downloaded?

I like to download from torrent because it has file integrity check built in

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Try memtest 

Do other distros work. Try fedoro

why memtest? Server runs fine on Windows Server 2016, would a bad stick out of the 76GB really stop it from even initializing an install, but run a full OS just fine? And that would mean one of my RAM sticks would have to had failed in the last 1 month (and it is ECC RAM).

3 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

did you do a checksum on the iso you downloaded?

I like to download from torrent because it has file integrity check built in

I did say, its not the ISOs. I used the same ISO on my gaming PC the day prior, like 6 times, no issue. Same USB. I even then re-downloaded the ISO and tried it on 2 new USBs.

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

also there are boot options that only work for windows. check you BIOS that the "other OS" option is selected, and maybe try turn off fast boot

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

also there are boot options that only work for windows. check you BIOS that the "other OS" option is selected, and maybe try turn off fast boot

This machine and motherboard ran fine with Ubuntu a few months prior (and same version too). No options have changed since. I even did check my BIOS and found no such options or conflicting settings that might cause such an issue.

Worth nothing at this point Im willing to do something drastic like a complete wipe, I just dont know what this error pertains to so that might not even fix it if its a BIOS issue or something.

Just now, suchamoneypit said:

This machine and motherboard ran fine with Ubuntu a few months prior (and same version too). No options have changed since. I even did check my BIOS and found no such options or conflicting settings that might cause such an issue.

what version of ubuntu is it? what is the kernel version? what is your motherboard model?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

what version of ubuntu is it? what is the kernel version? what is your motherboard model?

Its the latest version, 16.04. Not sure about kernel, latest version. The motherboard is in my signature for my server, its kinda mouthful and I can never remember it.

Its a supermicro server board which is why I think the issue could be around this.

5 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

Its the latest version, 16.04. Not sure about kernel, latest version. The motherboard is in my signature for my server, its kinda mouthful and I can never remember it.

Its a supermicro server board which is why I think the issue could be around this.

Try a different linux distro. 

Also try the newest version of Ubuntu so 17.04

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Try a different linux distro. 

Also try the newest version of Ubuntu so 17.04

Maybe try a version of ubuntu server with GUI? Will that work? I'd prefer that but I remember a long time ago (~3-4 months) I had massive issues getting internet to work on my motherboard with Ubuntu Server.

58 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

Maybe try a version of ubuntu server with GUI? Will that work? I'd prefer that but I remember a long time ago (~3-4 months) I had massive issues getting internet to work on my motherboard with Ubuntu Server.

if this is for a server, id try centos, it normally has better support for server hardware.

Bert is boot error record table , the error is indicative of buggy firmware, Linux started caring about it a long time ago in 4.8

The real problem are those processes that are stuck and seem deadlocked on something.

Try booting into archlinux, they have recent kernels and don't care about plymouthd and such, just to see if you can get to a shell on boot.

If you can, maybe you can install a more recent Ubuntu from Arch or Antergos.

You could try and get more info with the magic sysrq key combo, for example, maybe there's some common piece of code in the stacks that almost everything is blocked on that would then help narrow down the problem.

On 4/14/2017 at 1:12 AM, risk said:

Bert is boot error record table , the error is indicative of buggy firmware, Linux started caring about it a long time ago in 4.8

The real problem are those processes that are stuck and seem deadlocked on something.

Try booting into archlinux, they have recent kernels and don't care about plymouthd and such, just to see if you can get to a shell on boot.

If you can, maybe you can install a more recent Ubuntu from Arch or Antergos.

You could try and get more info with the magic sysrq key combo, for example, maybe there's some common piece of code in the stacks that almost everything is blocked on that would then help narrow down the problem.

On 4/12/2017 at 11:37 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

if this is for a server, id try centos, it normally has better support for server hardware.

I've been busy and unable to work on this issue, just putting some time into it now. I managed to get Ubuntu to install on the SSD (after a half dozen tries and a dozen reboots), however, it wouldn't boot with boot error 91 stuck at system initialization. After removing my two GPUs and soundcard and a CMOS reset i'm now able to POST. However, I get to ubuntu, get to GRUB, but if I continue to boot to ubuntu the error persists and I cannot boot.

At this point windows server has been wiped for ubuntu so the server is offline until I get this solved. Any new advice now that I at least have access to GRUB?

have you tried a different distro?

21 hours ago, risk said:

have you tried a different distro?

I was able to get CentOS working. Im still very confused on why Ubuntu won't wont. Even with getting the GUI up for CentOS im really not a fan of its look and im not very comfortable using it.

Different kernel - that's why it works.

You can try installing Ubuntu by booting a different distro from a live USB stick, like Arch for example, and following the install instructions here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromLinux

Specifically look at the debootstrap section in those instructions.

Ubuntu also offers different kennels - maybe a different Ubuntu kernel will work for you.

On 4/17/2017 at 1:50 AM, risk said:

Different kernel - that's why it works.

You can try installing Ubuntu by booting a different distro from a live USB stick, like Arch for example, and following the install instructions here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromLinux

Specifically look at the debootstrap section in those instructions.

Ubuntu also offers different kennels - maybe a different Ubuntu kernel will work for you.

Thanks for the info. Any idea why the same kernel worked just fine on that machine 4-5 months prior but not now?

I haven't even updated the motherboard BIOS OR hardware since then either. After like 8 reboots I eventually got Ubuntu install to come up and install, but even after installing when booting Ubuntu the same error came up so even getting a successful install the error will likely still persist if I use a live USB stick, might still give it a try though.