Xbox Scorpio Dev Kits coming with A SPEC BUMP over Retail Scorpio with 44 Radeon Customized Compute Units

AlTech

Update. It appears Microsoft opted for the dev kit to feature 10% more CUs for a total of 2816 Stream Processors vs 2560 of the Retail unit.

Microsoft has revealed a Xbox Scorpio Dev Kit which features 6.6 Tflops of performance (roughly 10% faster than Retail Scorpio) and has 2x the VRAM at 24GB alongside a 1TB SSD.

The company has claimed that these spec increases are too allow for developers to easily port or create games which are both compatible with Xbox One and Scorpio.

To accommodate developers, Project Scorpio will have a few additional compute units granting it 6.6 TFLOPS vs. the consumer version's 6.0. The dev kit also has double the GDDR5 RAM to hit 24GB, complete with an additional 1TB SSD for rapid deployment. Microsoft says that the additional GPU power is to help developers optimize their games downwards, rather than upwards. The whole idea is to help developers hit native 4K, with 4K textures, with HDR, wide color gamut, and Dolby Atmos spatial audio.

scorpio_dev_kit_99.jpg.1739a6cb1fab2ef72b11617b7333fd91.jpg

xbox_scorpio_dev_kits_stacked1.jpg.3c7d5dd26b4f695b4ca6c8f58dd8d28b.jpg

This is kind of weird... I wasn't expecting a beefed up scorpio at all for devs. I can only imagine that the developer version has a higher clockspeed or a slightly larger GPU for this initial dev kit production run.

http://www.windowscentral.com/xboxs-project-scorpio-dev-kit-has-been-unveiled

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/295800/Inside_the_next_Xbox_Project_Scorpio_and_its_brandnew_dev_kit.php

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Not sure I follow their logic of how this will help them optimize downwards but it's a cool idea. The GPU is probably OC'd rather than a larger die for that 10% increase.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Scuse me? What are you on Microsoft? :D 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

Scuse me? What are you on Microsoft? :D 

It's a little thing called AyyyMD xD.

Well, in this case the Developer kit might be worth the price. Traditionally dev kits have cost upwards of 2x the amount that consumers paid for the final product.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

It's a little thing called AyyyMD xD.

Well, in this case the Developer kit might be worth the price. Traditionally dev kits have cost upwards of 2x the amount that consumers paid for the final product.

How does AyyyyyyyyMD have anything to do with this? 

Tru plus hey, this also gives people a reason to actually try to get a dev kit into their hands...

So... They should sell this, at Retail, for a premium price (Say an extra $150 or $200 over the regular version).

People would definitely pay more to get the extra CU's and the 1TB SSD.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Because having something faster than what's retailing will make the games that actual run on Scorpio better... WTF is this logic?!?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

How does AyyyyyyyyMD have anything to do with this? 

They could have found a way to put 24GB VRAM on the PCB......

idk lol

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Tru plus hey, this also gives people a reason to actually try to get a dev kit into their hands...

Too much money.... No, my wallet isn't ready.

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

So... They should sell this, at Retail, for a premium price (Say an extra $150 or $200 over the regular version).

People would definitely pay more to get the extra CU's and the 1TB SSD.

I doubt there's more CUs. It's probably just overclocked  and I'm not sure it would sell $200 extra with a 1TB SSD (Unless we're talking a really shitty mediocre SSSD).

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

They could have found a way to put 24GB VRAM on the PCB......

idk lol

Too much money.... No, my wallet isn't ready.

I doubt there's more CUs. It's probably just overclocked  and I'm not sure it would sell $200 extra with a 1TB SSD (Unless we're talking a really shitty mediocre SSSD).

To Quote... well... you:

To accommodate developers, Project Scorpio will have a few additional compute units 

So yeah - they could just OC the chip a little. But you yourself quote the source as saying it has additional CU's, not a clock boost.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

well a 10% overclock to the gpu, i still think 4k is the wrong focus here, i would rather play a rich detailed game like the witcher 3 @ 1080p, than  the witcher 1 @ 4k.

xbone is dead, trying to hang on to it by making scorpio an extention rather than a standalone console with it's own exclusives, will bite them in the arse, it's just not that appealing.

i might be wrong, we will see anyway.

2 minutes ago, alamox said:

well a 10% overclock to the gpu, i still think 4k is the wrong focus here, i would rather play a rich detailed game like the witcher 3 @ 1080p, than  the witcher 1 @ 4k.

xbone is dead, trying to hang on to it by making scorpio an extention rather than a standalone console with it's own exclusives, will bite them in the arse, it's just not that appealing.

If you think XBOX is dead, that's incredibly naive. Is it behind in sales over PS4? Yeah. But it's still selling dozens of millions of consoles. They're doing quite well for themselves.

That would be like claiming iOS is a failure and is dead because it has a lower market share over Android.

The reason why they're optimizing for 4K instead of higher detail at 1080p is simple:

1. 4K TV's are finally becoming very mainstream - you can even pick up pretty good TV's for very cheap now

2. It's easier to market - a LOT easier - You tell the audience it's higher resolution and more detail. Explaining a lower res but higher quality settings experience to non-techs is pretty futile - very difficult to get that across properly in marketing.

3. 4K + HDR is pretty awesome, and even if they use some form of upscaling in some of the titles, it can still look and play very good.

Personally, I hope that the console has intelligent quality options (or the ability to straight up choose) that will switch between:

4K @ 60 Hz w/ lower graphics detail

4K @ 30 Hz w/ higher graphics detail

1080p @ 60 Hz w/ highest graphics detail

If I can choose between those options, then I have no problem at all with 4K being the primary focus.

11 minutes ago, alamox said:

Microsoft has made sure that devs understand that they will need to allow users to choose either the 4K option either targeting the game at 30fps or 60fps OR 1080p 60fps.

More RAM is great durng development, so you can run it on the console while it is not fully optimized yet.

But I hope they have a switch to limit the HW to the consumer version.

If you try to get a dev version: the additional RAM and CUs are worthless as the game probably coded to not use it. And the few % OC don't make a difference.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

The Scorpio should be shipping with AMD Freesync, and apparently Microsoft is gonna try to get TV manufacturers to implement it in TVs

Gamasutra post with the specs of Scorpio

17 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

4K TV's are finally becoming very mainstream - you can even pick up pretty good TV's for very cheap now

Deffo true when 4K TVs can be bought as cheap as cheaper 1080p TVs now ...

6 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

More RAM is great durng development, so you can run it on the console while it is not fully optimized yet.

But I hope they have a switch to limit the HW to the consumer version.

Indie dev forgets that the dev kit is more powerful, wonders why everyone is complaining about slightly poor performance xD 

15 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Indie dev forgets that the dev kit is more powerful, wonders why everyone is complaining about slightly poor performance

For what is worth the dev version should be inferior, so they have to optimize it the most to run on it and then go butter smooth in the retail version [:

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

16 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

For what is worth the dev version should be inferior, so they have to optimize it the most to run on it and then go butter smooth in the retail version [:

But...they could also have optimised it to the dev version instead of the actual console...

It's possible...

Wow people really know nothing about dev kits, its normal for a devkit to have higher spec than the consumer grade, they have to run debug tools aswell as the game. Just look at the 360 and ps3 devkits.

15 minutes ago, JAKEBAB said:

Wow people really know nothing about dev kits, its normal for a devkit to have higher spec than the consumer grade, they have to run debug tools aswell as the game. Just look at the 360 and ps3 devkits.

I doubt the dev tools require TWICE the vram and a gpu spec bump, it would be mostly bound to the cpu unless they are rendering something complex using those dev tools?

As for the additional CU's I wonder if they are just guessing or if they really confirmed it has 10% more CU's, seems like an expensive and odd choice

Edit: Nvm the original gamasutra article that this article refrences, explicitly states it's 44 CU's vs the original 40 clocked at the same clock speed.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/295800/Inside_the_next_Xbox_Project_Scorpio_and_its_brandnew_dev_kit.php

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

5 minutes ago, Swatson said:

I doubt the dev tools require TWICE the vram and a gpu spec bump, it would be mostly bound to the cpu unless they are rendering something complex using those dev tools?

The original Xbox had 64MBs of RAM in commercial versions. Dev kits had 128MB. With a little software modding and soldering, a version 1.0 of the Xbox could utilize the extra RAM in homebrew. Xbox 360 dev kits were rumored to be 1GB when the original was 512MB of RAM.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Microsoft has made sure that devs understand that they will need to allow users to choose either the 4K option either targeting the game at 30fps or 60fps OR 1080p 60fps.

that is excatly my point, why does microsoft cling into a dead console, that would bring the quality of the games down for the common denominator ( xbone ).

game made from the ground up for 6 TeraFlops are completely different from games made for 2TeraFlops, then supersampled to 4k.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

If you think XBOX is dead, that's incredibly naive. Is it behind in sales over PS4? Yeah. But it's still selling dozens of millions of consoles. They're doing quite well for themselves.

That would be like claiming iOS is a failure and is dead because it has a lower market share over Android.

The reason why they're optimizing for 4K instead of higher detail at 1080p is simple:

1. 4K TV's are finally becoming very mainstream - you can even pick up pretty good TV's for very cheap now

2. It's easier to market - a LOT easier - You tell the audience it's higher resolution and more detail. Explaining a lower res but higher quality settings experience to non-techs is pretty futile - very difficult to get that across properly in marketing.

3. 4K + HDR is pretty awesome, and even if they use some form of upscaling in some of the titles, it can still look and play very good.

Personally, I hope that the console has intelligent quality options (or the ability to straight up choose) that will switch between:

4K @ 60 Hz w/ lower graphics detail

4K @ 30 Hz w/ higher graphics detail

1080p @ 60 Hz w/ highest graphics detail

If I can choose between those options, then I have no problem at all with 4K being the primary focus.

dozens of millios is a bit of a strech they barely broke 25million units, that is a couple dozen, it's not yet plural untill you get quantity of 3 dozen..., ps4 is closing in on 60 millions units, and the games line up and exclusivity paints rather a clear picture.

the increase in compute does barely allow 4k, and it is a marketing tool, contrary to say " detail rich games", the bump from xbone to scorpio performance although it allow the 1080p content to be run at 4k, it does that with details downgrade in favor of pixel count, which brings me to my point, the overall game will be more empty than any usual 1080p game could allow, and far less fps count.

i do wanna ask you a question, on PC would you pick an HDR 144hz 1080p monitor ? or an SDR 144hz 4k ?

and explain to me why, thx.

Im really looking forward to see Scorpio in action tbh. I myself have a Panasonic 4K 3D TV which ive never gamed on before. I have my PC for that.  It would be interesting if they could keep games at 4k at 60 fps. Might be worth checking out. But like anything in this day and age its all about having time. 

18 minutes ago, Gikero said:

The original Xbox had 64MBs of RAM in commercial versions. Dev kits had 128MB. With a little software modding and soldering, a version 1.0 of the Xbox could utilize the extra RAM in homebrew. Xbox 360 dev kits were rumored to be 1GB when the original was 512MB of RAM.

True but we're talking about different scales. I can totally see them needing an extra 64MB or an extra 512MB, but an extra 12GB?

it would have made more sense if the dev kits were less powerful, as at least then you can guarantee that the retail units will have native 4K, with HDR, as now they are going to have to gimp the games just to get them to run on the retail unit. 

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB