Budget F@H rig

Hey everyone,

As a low-income full-time student but still wanting to support the cause of eradicating diseases, I wanted to build a budget PC that could fold 24/7 without having to use my own rig.

This is what I've got planned;

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/wmX39W

Will the CPU and PSU be enough or will I have to look into more powerful pre-owned ones?

Thanks a bunch in advance! :D

I say jiggly-bytes when I see "GB".

It goes down better than you would expect.

28 minutes ago, Insp1r3 said:

Hey everyone,

As a low-income full-time student but still wanting to support the cause of eradicating diseases, I wanted to build a budget PC that could fold 24/7 without having to use my own rig.

This is what I've got planned;

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/wmX39W

Will the CPU and PSU be enough or will I have to look into more powerful pre-owned ones?

Thanks a bunch in advance! :D

You'd be better off upgrading your current rig. Even if it's not going to fold 24/7 (say, when you game), the hours in which it will fold will be much more productive than those of a separate machine, all while being more efficient and improving your experience.

Tell us what you have, let us see what's the best upgrade path.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Just now, Imakuni said:

You'd be better off upgrading your current rig. Even if it's not going to fold 24/7 (say, when you game), the hours in which it will fold will be much more productive than those of a separate machine, all while being more efficient and improving your experience.

Tell us what you have, let us see what's the best upgrade path.

This is my rig: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/xRppVY

9 minutes ago, Insp1r3 said:

Huh, you've got better stuff than I expected... still, selling the 1070 and getting a 1080ti would be the best upgrade. Alternatively, you can look for a second 1070, that would do as well. Either will do better than a second PC, all things considered.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

2 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Huh, you've got better stuff than I expected... still, selling the 1070 and getting a 1080ti would be the best upgrade. Alternatively, you can look for a second 1070, that would do as well. Either will do better than a second PC, all things considered.

I've got 2 I can do. Which one of these would you recommend?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/kHfDFd Second 1070 but I would have to upgrade the PSU to a 650/750W unit

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/DYP9pb Replace the 1070 with a 1080Ti and keep the PSU

Both would cost about the same to do (about £400)

Just now, Insp1r3 said:

I've got 2 I can do. Which one of these would you recommend?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/kHfDFd Second 1070 but I would have to upgrade the PSU to a 650/750W unit

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/DYP9pb Replace the 1070 with a 1080Ti and keep the PSU

Both would cost about the same to do (about £400)

Actually, you wouldn't need to upgrade PSU to add a second 1070. The PSU wouldn't run at peak efficiency, but it would still handle them just fine.

As for which one to go for, it's a matter of preference. Dual 1070 would be better for folding, but you'll have to deal with SLI issues when gaming.

Or do what I do.

Disable SLI.  Leave 2nd card folding while gaming with the 1st card.  I do this on my main computer.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

6 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Or do what I do.

Disable SLI.  Leave 2nd card folding while gaming with the 1st card.  I do this on my main computer.

Probably what i would go with, the whole

reason for getting the second card is that

it's a huge pain in the arse to constantly

pause and unpause folding whenever you

are doing something different.

Then maybe you forget to unpause when

you go to bed, potentially 8 or more hours

wasted until you notice. You don't have to

consider loss of QRB whenever you are

gaming or doing something else, etc.. 

If you are looking for an alternative to a 

dedicated card, you could just leave the 

second card folding all the time. Potentially

fold with the first card whenever you feel 

like it, that will leave more of an impact on
the power bill though. 

7 hours ago, Ithanul said:

Or do what I do.

This is kind of a problem with a 4c/4t, though... Given that Nvidia requires a full thread per card, it leaves only 3 left for games to use and what not. I suppose it wouldn't be a problem if it was an i7, it would just use a HT for the worthless calls and everything would be good.

But given that this isn't the case, I wonder how effective that solution would be.

58 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

This is kind of a problem with a 4c/4t, though... Given that Nvidia requires a full thread per card, it leaves only 3 left for games to use and what not. I suppose it wouldn't be a problem if it was an i7, it would just use a HT for the worthless calls and everything would be good.

But given that this isn't the case, I wonder how effective that solution would be.

Ah, yeah 4c/4t may see problems with that method.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU