locked in the server room

linustouchtips

Has this actually happened to anyone before. It did for me until i remembered the keypad code which didnt take too long and didnt cause any huge drama in my office xd. i usually use a key. But i want to hear what you guys think of this. is this a normal happening around it jobs at any lvl. 

I got locked out of my room once with my gaming PC in it, does that count?

i needed to walk all the way downstairs to get a pen to put in the little hole in the lock. worst 30 seconds of my life. might have PTSD not sure.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

I heard Tom Cruise and John Travolta got trapped in a closet that one time.

24 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Its a bit harder when the "server room" is actually a datacenter and spans 4 floors and probably 30000 sqfeet.

a whole building our data center is about the size of a closet. 

43 minutes ago, linustouchtips said:

Has this actually happened to anyone before. It did for me until i remembered the keypad code which didnt take too long and didnt cause any huge drama in my office xd. i usually use a key. But i want to hear what you guys think of this. is this a normal happening around it jobs at any lvl. 

Many server rooms will have a lock only on the outside - eg: If you're inside and the door shuts, you can open and leave without a key or code.

Depends on the specific security needs and policies of each company.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I would find it difficult to get locked in any room when (At least in the US) fire-code requires emergency exits in commercial building and locks for rooms face outside the room (the ability to unlock the room from the inside). A room with a key-card or number pad should have a infrared censor that unlocks the door from inside if theirs no alternative exit. Such a flaw could get you in trouble with the law. It's against fire-code.

the guys i work with always put a door stopper down no matter what but yea i dont think the place im at is up to code they just keep moving IT around we have no permanent office

Just unplug one of the servers and wait for someone to come running in 

Simples

6 minutes ago, linustouchtips said:

the guys i work with always put a door stopper down no matter what but yea i dont think the place im at is up to code they just keep moving IT around we have no permanent office

Gotta love it when a company has a IT service they rely on to keep thing working but throw them around like ragdolls. If the door in question has a keypad/cardscanner on the outside of the room look into a door handle that is locked 100% of the time from one side and always unlocked on the other. This would fix the delema, easier to implement too than a infrared scanner. If you can get the authorization to do it. Find someone high up in management and give them a scare about the trouble they could get in if they're not compliant about something as simple as being able to exit a locked room and the legal fines that could come with it. Then you don't have to worry about locking yourself in again if the door peg isn't there.

At my workplace it's magnetic "locks" with access pass, so unless you drop your pass outside the sever room before entering, that wouldn't happen.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

4 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

At my workplace it's magnetic "locks" with access pass, so unless you drop your pass outside the sever room before entering, that wouldn't happen.

Theirs a company I work at where they use magnets as door locks but they use the infrared scanners inside the rooms so people can still exit in the event of emergencies without need for tags or passwords.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Theirs a company I work at where they use magnets as door locks but they use the infrared scanners inside the rooms so people can still exit in the event of emergencies without need for tags or passwords.

Our server room is the size of a big closet, so anytime we work in it we keep the doors open anyway since it would be too cramped to do anything with the door closed! xD

i can jump out the window if the door locks its not to steep of a fall thats our fire exit 

3 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Our server room is the size of a big closet, so anytime we work in it we keep the doors open anyway since it would be too cramped to do anything with the door closed! xD

If the room has an entire server rack or two you'd want to keep the door open too if the cooling unit quit.

5 minutes ago, linustouchtips said:

i can jump out the window if the door locks its not to steep of a fall thats our fire exit 

Oh your server room is on the edge of the building. Every server room I've ever been in was somewhere in the middle of a building, no windows.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

If the room has an entire server rack or two you'd want to keep the door open too if the cooling unit quit.

yeah, that happened once, the AC borked and started shooting hot air ... the room temp went up to 36°C (97°F) before we realized, not good! xD

3 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

yeah, that happened once, the AC borked and started shooting hot air ... the room temp went up to 36°C (97°F) before we realized, not good! xD

A number of years ago I attended computer repair & networking classes at a school called BOCES. My teacher was also the IT guy. We came in for class one Monday and the entire network was down. Our teacher (IT guy) told us the cooling unit in the server room quit during the weekend and the internal temperature of the room peaked at 54.4°C (130°F) resulting in the automatic shutdown of some of the servers and damage to some of the others that didn't.

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

A number of years ago I attended computer repair & networking classes at a school called BOCES. My teacher was also the IT guy. We came in for class one Monday and the entire network was down. Our teacher (IT guy) told us the cooling unit in the server room quit during the weekend and the internal temperature of the room peaked at 54.4°C (130°F) resulting in the automatic shutdown of some of the servers and damage to some of the others that didn't.

holy shit!

BTW, after that incident we now have an alarm that sends us text message when the room temp goes over 35°c :P

9 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

BTW, after that incident we now have an alarm that sends us text message when the room temp goes over 35°c :P

Good idea. Also some type of redundant cooling unit would be a good idea. Either that or put the equipment in a room where it can displace it's heat without significantly impacting the ambient (basically any large room).

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

Fuckin magnets, how do they work?

2 hours ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

Fuckin magnets, how do they work?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity

Read and Learn.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Page was probably created by a scientist, those mother frakers be lyin and gettin me pissed