Single-Slot GTX 1070 by GALAX

GALAX has made a nice move to (maybe) revitalize a used-to-be-cool segment of the market by creating a single-slot design GTX 1070.

Seen here at Videocardz.com

GALAX-GTX-1070-Single-slot-1.jpg

Does anyone else still remember Liam Neeson's role as Darkman?

Single is the new sexy

Spoiler

GALAX-GTX-1070-Single-slot-4.jpg

There's not much to quote in the article but here goes nothing :P

Even though card occupies just one slot, the cooling efficiency is good enough for few extra MHz’s:

Of course this thing won't perform as good as other custom designs that use better 2-slot cooler designs but this would do great for those slim cases.

Anyway, a good thing to point out here is that there are only 3 ports for video. Sucks. I think they could have gotten away with 4 mini DPs and just add a bunch of adapters in the package.

IMO, I would really like things to go back to the single-slot designs. I know bulky and chunky looks cool when the system is filled up but come on! Single-Slot FTW!!!

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

2 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

GALAX has made a nice move to (maybe) revitalize a used-to-be-cool segment of the market by creating a single-slot design GTX 1070.

Single is the new sexy

Hide contents

Of course this thing won't perform as good as other custom designs that use better 2-slot cooler designs but this would do great for those slim cases.

Anyway, a good thing to point out here is that there are only 3 ports for video. Sucks. I think they could have gotten away with 4 mini DPs and just add a bunch of adapters in the package.

IMO, I would really like things to go back to the single-slot designs. I know bulky and chunky looks cool when the system is filled up but come on! Single-Slot FTW!!!

I don't need a lot of ports, so I'm fine.

AND BRO, THAT THING LOOKS LIKE A SLICE OF TOAST IN A PC.

But hey, it looks kinda cool...

That cards was released like 2 weeks ago and load temp, is worse than FE.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Why is there a fedora man on the box? Is this 8-15 years ago again?

I would assume they expect people to watercool this thing. Wonder if it has a reference PCB

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

10 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

That cards was released like 2 weeks ago and load temp, is worse than FE.

I agree. However its still a GTX 1070, just downclock that thing and I think it would be nice for some small form factor PCs.

Also, not many people now about this so just keeping it here :D

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

11 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

I don't need a lot of ports, so I'm fine.

AND BRO, THAT THING LOOKS LIKE A SLICE OF TOAST IN A PC.

But hey, it looks kinda cool...

Yup, just like Darkman.

Seriously though...

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

1 minute ago, YoloSwag said:

Yup, just like Darkman.

Seriously though...

I have never seen that movie, but the trailer looks sick...

19 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

Single is the new sexy

Reveal hidden contents

thats badass,  my first GPU was a quadro 4000 that i pulled from an older render farm, that was single slot too, something so fucking awesome about that

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Just now, Factory OC said:

I have never seen that movie, but the trailer looks sick...

You need to see it. Just watch it while not expecting anything. Just like how you watch old movies on Saturday afternoons.

I liked it as well as The Shadow with Alec Baldwin. These movies have low ratings on IMDB but were pretty cool as I've watched them from my childhood.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

Just now, YoloSwag said:

You need to see it. Just watch it while not expecting anything. Just like how you watch old movies on Saturday afternoons.

I liked it as well as The Shadow with Alec Baldwin. These movies have low ratings on IMDB but were pretty cool as I've watched them from my childhood.

Sure I check it out.

1 minute ago, YoloSwag said:

Just watch it while not expecting anything.

Don't worry, that's why I didn't care about ME:A

8 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

I agree. However its still a GTX 1070, just downclock that thing and I think it would be nice for some small form factor PCs.

Also, not many people now about this so just keeping it here :D

That's because their cards are not sold that much over here. Thier top of the line is the Calibre series.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

Should of omitted the DVI port for 2 more display ports. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

So it is slim enough for tiny cases, yet at 150 watts TDP it still needs external power, that's on top of the card too so it's hard to reach.

Meh. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Why DVI of all things? Why not just 4 DP or 3 DP 1HDMI? I thought we killed vga and DVI this past cycle of gpus.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

And they still put a DVI port on it xD

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Can anyone explain to me the use cases for these kind of cards? They are still long and won't fit in the most compact cases, so ... why?

8 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

Can anyone explain to me the use cases for these kind of cards? They are still long and won't fit in the most compact cases, so ... why?

It's great for workstations where you use a lot of PCIe slots or something like a server.

While I'm not at all interested in this card, I'm always happy to see a dvi port because lots of the old monitors I tend to use to benchmark and test parts are dvi. That said, it's unnecessary on a single slot.

I wonder how this single slot cooler will compare to a double slot in a SLI mATX case where there is minimal air gap between cards/PSU. I know a lot of rigs run ~2-5mm of air gap on the top card and it does effect cooling by more than  a few degrees.

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

7 minutes ago, CtrlAltELITE said:

I wonder how this single slot cooler will compare to a double slot in a SLI mATX case where there is minimal air gap between cards/PSU. I know a lot of rigs run ~2-5mm of air gap on the top card and it does effect cooling by more than  a few degrees.

I doubt it performs much better given the low performing capability of the one slot cooler. I think its best use case is in odd scenerios where there is too little room in the case for a dual slot or in like 1u server cases using a horizontal mounting bracket. Not really a card for the average person. I hope companies like Galax keep making odd cards like this though because it opens up a lot of neat opportunities for case mods and other projects that wouldn't exist otherwise.

1 hour ago, Matu20 said:

Diy gpu render farm comes to mind. You could fit 8 of these in a system with the right mobo. Which i may do my self.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

8 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

That's because their cards are not sold that much over here. Thier top of the line is the Calibre series.

Dang I haven't even heard of those.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

Just now, YoloSwag said:

Dang I haven't even heard of those.

Sorry, I made a mistake. Calibre is by Sparkle not Galaxy. And Sparkle too, isn't sold much over here.

73a.jpg

AMD ThreadRipper 2!