Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yuhandong

Monitor turning off when playing CSGO

Posted · Original PosterOP

Having a strange issue (at least that's what I think).

When I'm playing CSGO, my screen sometimes turns off. The LED power button is still lit, but the display goes full black. It's not just showing a black screen, it just turns off fully with no backlight (as if it was off). Sometimes it happens for a second, sometimes it just stays black unless I pull out the power cord and plug it back in. The power button doesn't work when it's blacked out either.

This only happens when playing CSGO. Not during internet browsing or anything else like that. Not even in other games. I tested BF1, overwatch, Forza horizon 3 and watch dogs 2 and none have the issue. 

Some facts about my setup:

The monitor having problems is a BenQ xl2730z (i have freesync and 144hz on) (connected with display port)

It has two other monitors on either side which are BenQ rl2755hm

i5 4460

r9 390x drivers all updated

16gb ram

150-400 fps when playing counter strike

Sometimes it happens more often than others.

12 hours ago, Stevoisboss said:

Are your drivers up to date? Its probably the monitor if it has no backlight. If possible I would try it with a different monitor and see if you get different results.

Like I said, the drivers are up to date and it's not the monitor because it's fine when doing everything else. Including other games.

11 hours ago, SenioRR said:

Is CS:GO running at the correct refresh rate? Use -freq 144 in the launch options to force 144hz.

I haven't tried putting 144 in the launch options but I can definitely tell it is running at 144hz. I'll try it anyway.

2 hours ago, Yuhandong said:

Like I said, the drivers are up to date and it's not the monitor because it's fine when doing everything else. Including other games.

Well if the backlight goes off then it points to a hardware problem.  If its a software problem which it definitely sounds like, try reinstalling the game or verifying game cache. Which is why I think its best to see if you get the same results with a different monitor. Then you can actually single out the problem. 

Unsure what power supply to pick?

Check out my HTPC build.

Quote me/others so we can help you

Comic sans is the best font