Ryzen 5 1600X breaks 6 core records in extreme overclocking

GEHORC

https://ocaholic.ch/modules/news/article.php?storyid=16401

German extreme overclocker der8auer has overclocked the 1600X to 5.9 GHz.

For validation he used a bus speed of 130 MHz with a 45.5x multiplier with all 12 threads active.

For the actual benchmarks he dailed the frequency back down but still beat previous records by the i7-5820K.

All tests were actually performed in Febuary but results couldn't be published for NDA-reasons.

2017-04-11_18h57_22.png.b87c7acbd12172137b2ad0d2adb662aa.png

I can't help but wonder, why all of the previous records are held by Haswell-E chips and not by Broadwell-E ones? Logically, Broadwell-E have higher IPC and besides that are almost exactly the same so the only explanation is that they don't overclock as well as their Haswell counterparts - is that accurate?

Regardless, impressive, especially considering the price difference.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

He sais in the video (at least the German version) that Broadwell-E doesn't clock as high as Haswell-E and therefor couldn't brake the records.

6 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

I can't help but wonder, why all of the previous records are held by Haswell-E chips and not by Broadwell-E ones? Logically, Broadwell-E have higher IPC and besides that are almost exactly the same so the only explanation is that they don't overclock as well as their Haswell counterparts - is that accurate?

Maybe haswell just OCs better? Or the reason why PC guy 5960 never suggests the 6800k over a 5820k (can't find his exact username :/).

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Maybe haswell just OCs better? Or the reason why PC guy 5960 never suggests the 6800k over a 5820k (can't find his exact username :/).

Probably the reason... Still a weird thing because that makes older CPUs a better buy and there's no reason to spend a single $ more for a 6800K :o 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

20 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Broadwell is a worse overclocker than Haswell, and IPC improvements are pathetic, 3% is being generous. Most areas, it's more like 1%.

Big reason consumer versions of Broadwell see better performance is due to the iGPU sub arch on Broadwell that was (stupidly) not carried over to Sky or Kaby. L4 cache being a key to it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Intel is going to have to improve their hyper threading tech. If they can bring that up to AMD's ability then it should crush them considering how much of an IPC advantage they have.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

2 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

Intel is going to have to improve their hyper threading tech. If they can bring that up to AMD's ability then it should crush them considering how much of an IPC advantage they have.

It is funny how AMDs SMT is better then intels hyperthreading.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

37 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

Do what they did to the new KB pentiums to their i5s.

Oh wait, that's an i7 xD

Just now, Fonzie92 said:

Do what they did to the new KB pentiums to their i5s.

Oh wait, that's an i7 xD

Uh thats not at all what I'm talking about nor what this thread is about....

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

1 minute ago, Hunter259 said:

Uh thats not at all what I'm talking about nor what this thread is about....

Oops I got hyper threading mixed with multi-threading 

2 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Broadwell-E behaves terribly under LN2. There are many cold bugs, etc.... Ryzen has none of these issues under LN2.

Anyone know the ipc from haswell-e to ryzen?

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

5 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Broadwell-E behaves terribly under LN2. There are many cold bugs, etc.... Ryzen has none of these issues under LN2.

Ryzen has its own issues. Once you go below 0°C the maximum achievable ram speeds will tank. And since Infinity Fabric (the stuff that connects the two 8mb blocks of cache) scales with ram speed this is bad.

10 minutes ago, Crossbred said:

Anyone know the ipc from haswell-e to ryzen?

Ryzen is just around Broadwell in terms of IPC so it's a bit faster than Haswell in that regard.

1 minute ago, GEHORC said:

Ryzen has its own issues. Once you go below 0°C the maximum achievable ram speeds will tank. And since Infinity Fabric (the stuff that connects the two 8mb blocks of cache) scales with ram speed this is bad.

Hmmm. This is first time I hear about this.

So, the actual topic is really interesting and all, but how d'you pronounce his name?  I know enough German pronunciation to get the first and last part, but the 8 throws me off.  What is the 8 supposed to be?

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

Cool. Though would be awesome if in couple of years we can have chips OC as such for daily use heh.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

5 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Wow 5820K at 6Ghz

I wonder if it can be achieved on consumer air/aio cooling

No. I have a good 5820K and best I could do on sub-zero phase change was 5376MHz not stable in anything but a CPU-Z validation, 20th fastest 5820K in the world.

I have LN2/DICE hardware now but I'm not sure if I'll go at that chip again before I sell it.

11 hours ago, N3v3r3nding_N3wb said:

So, the actual topic is really interesting and all, but how d'you pronounce his name?  I know enough German pronunciation to get the first and last part, but the 8 throws me off.  What is the 8 supposed to be?

The 8 replaces a B. So his Name is "der Bauer" (the Farmer).

13 hours ago, N3v3r3nding_N3wb said:

In german:   Der Bauer  ( 8 = B ).  Pronounciation ->Google Translate will help.

- If in doubt,        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

55 minutes ago, GEHORC said:

The 8 replaces a B. So his Name is "der Bauer" (the Farmer).

16 minutes ago, Super1337victim said:

In german:   Der Bauer  ( 8 = B ).  Pronounciation ->Google Translate will help.

Insert other media

Alrighty, thank you.  I was assuming it was sounds, not just a single letter.

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

13 hours ago, N3v3r3nding_N3wb said:

dur bow her

Durr power

:P

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

On 12/04/2017 at 3:21 AM, Morgan MLGman said:

Probably the reason... Still a weird thing because that makes older CPUs a better buy and there's no reason to spend a single $ more for a 6800K :o 

To be fair Broadwell was designed to be super efficient for mobile and for server Xeons. It'll be interesting to see where Skylake-E goes.