Project Scorpio Supports FreeSync and HDMI 2.1 VRR

FirstArmada

Sourcehttp://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-hdmi-2-1-specifications-revealed

Cant provide a quote as school blocks Eurogamers website for whatever reason

Digital Foundry states Project Scorpio will support variable refresh rates with FreeSync/HDMI 2.1 VRR, allowing games to be played without a locked frame rate without tearing, V-Sync judder and minimal slowdown.

Here's a video from Digital Foundry (apart of Eurogamer) 

Spoiler

VRR = Variable Refresh Rate (also known as HDMI Game Mode) which is basically FreeSync/G-Sync over HDMI although it is unclear if it's just an adaptation of AMD's open FreeSync variable refresh rate technology or some new third VRR standard in addition to FreeSync and Nvidia's proprietary G-Sync

32 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

You need a quote and your opinion on the original source. Please add that, thank you.

Cant provide a quote as school blocks eurogamers website for whatever reason

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Well there it is, FreeSync on future consoles. Even Intel is going to support Freesync; so how long are NVIDIA going to hold out from supporting this open standard. As opposed to their proprietary G-Sync.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

21 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Well there it is, FreeSync on future consoles. Even Intel is going to support Freesync; so how long are NVIDIA going to hold out from supporting this open standard. As opposed to their proprietary G-Sync.

As long as physically possible, because they have a captive market in the high end pc gpus where people are more likely to spend the extra money on it. It will not be until monitor makers start cutting back on production of gsync monitors in favors of freesync due to lack of sales will anything change.

This is also why i have been delaying getting a new gpu because i feel like in the next generation or two they will buckle and see that it would be better to at least have token support for a wide standard than attempting to force everyone to use their (admittedly better, if more expensive) solution that has narrow adoption.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

1 hour ago, Nicholatian said:

You need a quote and your opinion on the original source. Please add that, thank you.

He did paraphrase them since he can't quote, that will do in his case.

1 hour ago, FirstArmada said:

Cant provide a quote as school blocks eurogamers website for whatever reason

Because, gamers = bad. THINK OF THE CHILDERN! /S

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

1 hour ago, Valentyn said:

Cause G-Sync is better ! Seriously, I'm an Nvidia user and I wanted Freesync to be supported since it was announced. But as soon as they announce that they support both G and free, G-Sync is over. Manfacturer won't put the extra chip in the monitors just for fun... 

Nvidia will try to keep G-Sync alive as long as possible. They'll do that by keeping it 'ahead' of FreeSync and attempt to provide a better experience with more features. They'll probably not succeed but they'll try.

1 hour ago, silberdrachi said:

As long as physically possible, because they have a captive market in the high end pc gpus where people are more likely to spend the extra money on it. It will not be until monitor makers start cutting back on production of gsync monitors in favors of freesync due to lack of sales will anything change.

This is also why i have been delaying getting a new gpu because i feel like in the next generation or two they will buckle and see that it would be better to at least have token support for a wide standard than attempting to force everyone to use their (admittedly better, if more expensive) solution that has narrow adoption.

As far as I understand Freesync support on Nvidia would only require a driver and/or firmware update. So theoretically, if they ever did buckle, they can make it compatible with current GPUs.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

23 minutes ago, pyrojoe34 said:

As far as I understand Freesync support on Nvidia would only require a driver and/or firmware update. So theoretically, if they ever did buckle, they can make it compatible with current GPUs.

While i agree its theoretically possible. If i were a business i wouldn't do it. Especially if it were a feature i wasn't even happy about supporting on a new system anyway. It is a nice value add to your previous customers (brownie points?) but if instead you market the new card as being "NOW SUPPORTING FREESYNC AND GSYNC" you magically make people want to upgrade even more. (monaaaaahhhhhhhhh)

Basically im bitter and i hate these fucking companies (both of them) because its clear that they are making choices that are better for the business than is better for the customers themselves. So i am likely very biased.

But it would be awesome if they did do that.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Phones:

if this means free sync will come to tv sets than yes please.

That is really great, and much needed tbh specially even since they can't keep like 30fps as worst case scenario.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Insane!

This just keeps getting better and better! :)

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

That's why I think Microsoft, if they can stay afloat after their shitting marketing and game line up with the original xbox one, will be the supreme home console brand. They are bridging the gap between PC and console. I guess it's easier for them being the owners of Windows and all. They're even pushing the idea of no more iterations, let's just stick with one and upgrade every few years - just like a PC.

But Freesync tv's aren't a thing yet. How many console gamers are going to get a monitor just for xbox?

sidenote: by "stay afloat" I don't mean Microsoft as a whole. Just their Xbox departments/offices

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

8 minutes ago, GeekJump said:

That's why I think Microsoft, if they can stay afloat after their shitting marketing and game line up with the original xbox one, will be the supreme home console brand. They are bridging the gap between PC and console. I guess it's easier for them being the owners of Windows and all. They're even pushing the idea of no more iterations, let's just stick with one and upgrade every few years - just like a PC.

But then the question becomes: why would you want a console to begin with?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

9 minutes ago, Sauron said:

But then the question becomes: why would you want a console to begin with?

Same reasons people get them now. Cheaper, easier to use, low maintenance, etc.

They won't move 100% over to PC style but they would take enough to make it more appealing. If they are being honest about the Scorpio being the last xbox console for awhile (or last period), I might consider getting it for the exclusives. But even those are disappearing on Xbox with the play anywhere thing they introduced for PC.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Just now, GeekJump said:

Same reasons people get them now. Cheaper, easier to use, low maintenance, etc.

They won't move 100% over to PC style but they would take enough to make it more appealing. If they are being honest about the Scorpio being the last xbox console for awhile (or last period), I might consider getting it for the exclusives. But even those are disappearing on Xbox with the play anywhere thing they introduced for PC.

Easier to use and lower maintenance are out of the window if they get seasonal upgrades (they already have installations and day one patches). Cheaper is up for debate when games are consistently more expensive and you have to pay a monthly fee to use the internet. Exclusives are pretty much the only reason I'd consider one even now.

On the other hand you don't get the versatility and performance of a pc. So... why?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

12 minutes ago, raphidy said:

Cool, now i'll able to use freesync on cinematic 24 fps for real...

Freesync doesn't even work with framerates that low, it will be interesting to see what they do with games that run under 40 fps to be honest (I get the joke though).

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Easier to use and lower maintenance are out of the window if they get seasonal upgrades (they already have installations and day one patches). Cheaper is up for debate when games are consistently more expensive and you have to pay a monthly fee to use the internet. Exclusives are pretty much the only reason I'd consider one even now.

On the other hand you don't get the versatility and performance of a pc. So... why?

I don't think the upgrades will come that close together. It would probably be a similar time frame of current console iterations. The main pro being forward compatibility. I can own a Scorpio ver 1 and still play games for Scorpio ver 3 - the graphics and performance would just be a little worse. The way most console gamers hold onto their consoles until the very end of it's life, that idea is perfect for them.

Another reason to stick with consoles is fear lol. After I made my PC, I tried to spread the gospel of PC gaming but friends still wouldn't budge because they were afraid of the "complexities" (even tho there really isn't any). Having a console and cheap laptop or tablet was 100x better in their minds.

Common Nvidia, just admit it... Freesync is more dominate, easier to implement, and more cost effective. You have been defeated. They should go ahead and start making all their new GPU's compatible with it. G-Sync was an obvious money grab.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

21 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I think it simply boils down to most people dont need desktop computers anymore. Even in the tech world i have several coworkers that have no desktop or laptop at home. They use netflix on their tv, browse facebook on their iPad, and iMessage on their phone. Its hard to justify the cost of a PC to run games when its easier to just get a console. For 250 bucks and a tiny fee a month you get (almost) everything that they need their tv to do, and it plays video games too!

And i certainly wouldnt throw out easier to use/low maint out the window yet. Games are mostly kept up to date if you put the consoles into low power mode and you will never notice it. Not to mention the whole OS is managed on the consoles and you dont need to muck around with settings to make it work, registering software and possibly leaving you open to viruses. Its a scary world for people who arent truly tech savvy. And cheaper is still in effect because computers have a higher buy in value, while they have less "maintenance" costs compared to the consoles. For a lot of people that big bill is too much for them.

Plus there is a massive turn off for a lot of people when they look at the PCMR mentality. A lot of people are vocal dicks and make the communities look horrible to the public. Even within the pc community we view some games as just being straight up toxic (league of legends anyone?). As much as we have the image that XBL is all screaming 12 year olds wanting to fuck your mom, they have the same image of us.

Is it that bad if consoles get better? Consoles getting better helps PC gamers as anything, they drive the market on new tech. Consoles moving to 4k hdr gaming would make it more supported everywhere. Same thing with VR or any other new tech.

Primary:

HTPC:

NAS:

Phones:

2 minutes ago, GeekJump said:

I don't think the upgrades will come that close together. It would probably be a similar time frame of current console iterations. The main pro being forward compatibility. I can own a Scorpio ver 1 and still play games for Scorpio ver 3 - the graphics and performance would just be a little worse. The way most console gamers hold onto their consoles until the very end of it's life, that idea is perfect for them.

Another reason to stick with consoles is fear lol. After I made my PC, I tried to spread the gospel of PC gaming but friends still wouldn't budge because they were afraid of the "complexities" (even tho there really isn't any). Having a console and cheap laptop or tablet was 100x better in their minds.

Realistically most pc users don't upgrade more often than once every 4-5 years - and more often than not it's just the graphics card, a smaller investment than a brand new console. Yes, I know people have that mindset, that doesn't mean a console is better for them - it just means they don't feel comfortable trying something new.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 minutes ago, silberdrachi said:

I think it simply boils down to most people dont need desktop computers anymore. Even in the tech world i have several coworkers that have no desktop or laptop at home. They use netflix on their tv, browse facebook on their iPad, and iMessage on their phone. Its hard to justify the cost of a PC to run games when its easier to just get a console. For 250 bucks and a tiny fee a month you get (almost) everything that they need their tv to do, and it plays video games too!

And i certainly wouldnt throw out easier to use/low maint out the window yet. Games are mostly kept up to date if you put the consoles into low power mode and you will never notice it. Not to mention the whole OS is managed on the consoles and you dont need to muck around with settings to make it work, registering software and possibly leaving you open to viruses. Its a scary world for people who arent truly tech savvy. And cheaper is still in effect because computers have a higher buy in value, while they have less "maintenance" costs compared to the consoles. For a lot of people that big bill is too much for them.

Plus there is a massive turn off for a lot of people when they look at the PCMR mentality. A lot of people are vocal dicks and make the communities look horrible to the public. Even within the pc community we view some games as just being straight up toxic (league of legends anyone?). As much as we have the image that XBL is all screaming 12 year olds wanting to fuck your mom, they have the same image of us.

Is it that bad if consoles get better? Consoles getting better helps PC gamers as anything, they drive the market on new tech. Consoles moving to 4k hdr gaming would make it more supported everywhere. Same thing with VR or any other new tech.

250 bucks would be the old generation at this point. We're mainly talking about the idea of upgrading when a new one is out. Of course if you're content with an outdated box just to play a couple of games a console is just fine, but for someone who plays games as a hobby that won't be enough.

With steam game updates on pc are pretty much seamless, just as they would be with a console - but you still have those day one patches that prevent you from playing a game you just bought. And honestly everyone has used a pc with windows and 90% of people who would buy a console have at least one in their house - whether the pc is for games or not doesn't matter, you are already taking all the "risks" at that point. I wouldn't count on the higher purchase value too much, nowadays the only real difference in price is caused by the windows license.

The problem I have with consoles is not with the hardware per se, it's with the market fragmentation that causes exclusives, bad ports and other such issues. I don't think consoles are particularly good for the games industry as a whole. One thing is making something different, like a handheld, but making a worse pc just creates all sorts of problems for no benefit.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*