Windows Vista support is officially dead–how to stay protected?

Djole123

Ok, so as you might know, Windows Vista is the least stable OS from Microsoft after Windows Millenium Edition. But, with thousands of people still running it, here's everything you need to know about the Windows Vista end of life.

winvista_b2_hb_13.jpg

Ok, so what does this mean? Well, anyone who's currently running Windows Vista and IE 9 will no more get the security updates for it. This means that your 2007 flagship with Vista may be unsecure.

How to stay secure?

1) Move away from Vista right now. Vista is not only quite unstable, but you're also much more vulnerable to viruses and other malicious code that may attack you.

Microsoft reccomends Windows 10, but any Windows from 7 onward will do the trick.

Any PC with a Pentium 4 or higher and at least 2GB of RAM will work with Windows 10 just fine.

2) If you for some reason really need to stay on Vista, make sure you have all the latest updates and that you have antivirus and/or antimalware protection.

3) If both options don't work for you or you get a downgrade in performance, get a new PC. Seriously, for less than 300$ you can build a really solid PC that may even play some of your favorite games even better than your old PC can. Just make sure you build it on your own. And maybe add some of that sweet RGB.

There you go, everything you need to know about Windows Vista end of life. I'll link the Microsoft article in case you want some additional info.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/22882/windows-vista-end-of-support

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

I genuinely don't see why people still hate on Vista. So long as you have all the service packs and at least a Core 2 Duo/Athlon 64 X2 with 2GB of RAM, it'll run perfectly fine...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I was still using Vista until mid 2015 and my Dad was still using it until around 2 months ago. I never had any issues with it and the system it still worked fine especially since it had a Phenom x4 9550 and 6GBs of ram. The only issue was that Chrome stopped getting updated quite a few months ago and that the is as a whole was losing support soon.

My dad is still using Vista, trying to get him to move to a new computer but he is very stubborn about it.

System

Case- Thermaltake Core V21 / CPU - i7 4790 / GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070 / Mobo - Gigabyte Z97 mx / Ram - 4x4 gb GSkill Sniper DDR3 1866 / Storage - 2x WD Black 1tb drives, 1x 120gb OCZ SSD / Cooler - Cooler Master TX3 / PSU - EVGA G2 650w / Audio - Sennheiser PC 350 SE / Monitor - Asus 1920X1080 @60hz / Keyboard & Mouse - Cooler Master Devastator II / OS - Windows 10 Enterprise

Wait till 2020 when Windows 7 is on the chopping block. Going to be a lot of pissed off people. 

The only issue with Windows Vista was MS understated the System Requirements needed to run, also Windows Vista was just obese. Which is why I call Windows 7, Windows Vista on a diet. LOL. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Which is why I call Windows 7, Windows Vista on a diet.

Funnily enough, I did a comparison a little under 2 years ago and found it to be the opposite.  Fresh install vs fresh install on the exact same laptop, Vista SP2 used less disk space, RAM and CPU power than Win7 SP1.  I assume that this is because Win7 continued to grow with every Patch Tuesday and had tons of "features" (read as: telemetry, adware etc) added whereas Vista didn't really seem to have that problem. 

As for stability, I've had 2 bluescreens on Vista (on the same day) and those were due to a faulty RAM stick.  Linus also really loved it. 

I'm going to miss Vista, if only for it looking SO much better than all later Windows versions. 

Least stable? After SP2 and the Technology Update, Vista is basically Windows 7 without the UI tweaks. Or rather, Windows 7 is basically Windows Vista SP2 + TU with a better Taskbar and some new UI shortcuts.

Though I've used Vista since near launch and had almost zero issues with it. Most of Vista's stability issues were from shoddy drivers and programs doing things that in hindsight, they really shouldn't (like assuming administrative privileges were on by default).

Meh it doesn't really matter, I don't keep windows 7 up to date and it has yet to be a problem simply using an adblocker and common sense prevents more viruses than any security patch ever could

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

2 hours ago, Nicholatian said:

Because Vista used to suck, and nobody cared after that even though it was basically just as good as 7 with SP2. Shame.

And it sucked because people expected it work on hardware that was no where near capable of doing so. You had systems with 512Mb of RAM shipped with Vista. Even that was barely enough to get Windows XP working smoothly.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Not every P4 works with w10 btw, some of them lack x64 support which is required for w10...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Still using Vista. Don’t connect it to the internet personally, because by and large Windows can’t be trusted anyway, EOL or not.

So I guess I have nothing to worry about?

to be fair even if you did connect to the internet you're not likely to confront a virus.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 hours ago, tmcclelland455 said:

I genuinely don't see why people still hate on Vista. So long as you have all the service packs and at least a Core 2 Duo/Athlon 64 X2 with 2GB of RAM, it'll run perfectly fine...

Because Vista used to suck, and nobody cared after that even though it was basically just as good as 7 with SP2. Shame.

This.

@Djole123, saying Vista is "the most unstable OS besides ME" is very misleading.

Windows Vista, on release day, was a buggy OS, yes. But most of the problems were driver issues.

Vista w/ SP2 is basically just as stable as Windows 7.

Do people forget that when Windows XP came out, it was BY FAR WAY WORSE than Vista ever got?

With that in mind, yes, people should ditch Vista. But that's because it's very old and is no longer supported... NOT because of any stability issues.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 hours ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Mostly because you can do everything better on 7?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

54 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Funnily enough, I did a comparison a little under 2 years ago and found it to be the opposite.  Fresh install vs fresh install on the exact same laptop, Vista SP2 used less disk space, RAM and CPU power than Win7 SP1.  I assume that this is because Win7 continued to grow with every Patch Tuesday and had tons of "features" (read as: telemetry, adware etc) added whereas Vista didn't really seem to have that problem. 

As for stability, I've had 2 bluescreens on Vista (in the same day) and those were due to a faulty RAM stick.  Linus also really loved it. 

I'm going to miss Vista, if only for it looking SO much better than all later Windows versions. 

Code wise there is not much difference between Vista and 7. Disk space usage really inst a good indicator. I would say CPU and RAM usage is more of a better way determine which is better. Ive never used Vista but according to what I read Win 7 uses system resources more efficiently than Vista. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

43 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Mostly because you can do everything better on 7?

That's not even a valid reason to hate it lmao

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

This.

@Djole123, saying Vista is "the most unstable OS besides ME" is very misleading.

Windows Vista, on release day, was a buggy OS, yes. But most of the problems were driver issues.

Vista w/ SP2 is basically just as stable as Windows 7.

Do people forget that when Windows XP came out, it was BY FAR WAY WORSE than Vista ever got?

With that in mind, yes, people should ditch Vista. But that's because it's very old and is no longer supported... NOT because of any stability issues.

Honestly if Vista was still supported I would find something to throw it on just for looks. Hell, if I ever get a less-ghetto way for internet in my room, I'll buy a new screen + bezel for my old laptop and use the Vista key on it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

4 hours ago, Djole123 said:

Any PC with a Pentium 4 or higher and at least 2GB of RAM will work with Windows 10 just fine.

This is not true. While you can get a 32Bit version of 10, your processor MUST support NX-Bit technology which is only in Later models of the Pentium 4.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Running Vista on a Pentium III/4 was about as smart as running Windows XP on an old Pentium, or running Windows 10 on the shitty Core 2-era Celerons.

It was demanding for the time, but it wasn't really shitty. If you had the proper hardware (which, to be fair, wasn't even that ridiculously pricey at the time) it ran and looked great.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

4 hours ago, Djole123 said:

Ok, so as you might know, Windows Vista is the least stable OS from Microsoft after Windows Millenium Edition.

I don't necessarily disagree with your conclusion, that people should switch from Vista.  Especially people who don't understand computer security and don't know how to protect themselves online.  Having said that, I have to concur with other posters, that Vista was not an unstable OS.  Yes, it was bloated, and yes, it lacked optimization.  However, if you had sufficient hardware to run it, it ran perfectly fine.  I actually kind of miss running my Vista Ultimate license, because of the DreamScenes video background option (which they removed from 7 Ultimate).

25 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

I actually kind of miss running my Vista Ultimate license, because of the DreamScenes video background option (which they removed from 7 Ultimate)

If it's Dreamscene you want, I've had that running on Win7 Home no problem.  No lookalike or similar program, the real thing.

Sadly the forum rules forbid discussing that kind of stuff, so I can't even tell you what to Google for. 

Still, shouldn't be that hard to find if you know the name of that video wallpaper functionality and that of the OS you mentioned at the very end of your post.  ;)

Just now, Captain Chaos said:

If it's Dreamscene you want, I've had that running on Win7 Home no problem.  No lookalike or similar program, the real thing.

Sadly the forum rules forbid discussing that kind of stuff, so I can't even tell you what to Google for. 

Still, shouldn't be that hard to find if you know the name of that video wallpaper functionality and that of the OS you mentioned at the very end of your post.  ;)

I'm running 10 now, but it doesn't matter.  I know there are ways to do it, I just haven't bothered to look them up.  It was kind of an interesting distraction that I look back fondly on, but not something essential that I'm desperate to have back.

the funny part is, when seven goes EOL, there will be a majority of PCs running EOL systems than on going support ( xp + 7 > windows 10 market share )

5 hours ago, arbellason55 said:

My dad is still using Vista, trying to get him to move to a new computer but he is very stubborn about it.

As long as the case it still the same, he won't notice what's on the inside.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

6 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

As long as the case it still the same, he won't notice what's on the inside.

I'd need him to accept the change beforehand as that case is pretty terrible and because I'd need to save his bookmarks for him because he doesn't know how to and has being using mozilla for the longest time.

System

Case- Thermaltake Core V21 / CPU - i7 4790 / GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070 / Mobo - Gigabyte Z97 mx / Ram - 4x4 gb GSkill Sniper DDR3 1866 / Storage - 2x WD Black 1tb drives, 1x 120gb OCZ SSD / Cooler - Cooler Master TX3 / PSU - EVGA G2 650w / Audio - Sennheiser PC 350 SE / Monitor - Asus 1920X1080 @60hz / Keyboard & Mouse - Cooler Master Devastator II / OS - Windows 10 Enterprise