German authorities label twitch streaming as broadcast service, requires fee

zMeul

Oh mein Deutschland, dubbed everything, geoblocking to the max, politicians older than WW2... oh joy!

On 11/04/2017 at 2:31 PM, Urishima said:

Welcome to Germany. The stick is lodged firmly inside our collective asses and can not be removed.

well, there is a really fat n angry lady keeping it in place. And you aint going to make her move anytime soon.

11 hours ago, ChineseChef said:

I guess this will all be based on how much effort the German gov't is willing to put in to this. 

-snip-

this it what it will boil down to. Of course they can just block the domain on ISP/node provider level or seize the ingest server in Frankfurt if twitch doesn't what they tell them to, but I suspect they are more into making monney here and they will just enforce the law on the actual partners that make money broadcasting.

Going around a possible block via VPN is a given for us tech savvy people but you have to remember that not everyone is willing to deal with just the slightest extra of effort so it will drive more people away from the plattform as you might expect.

3 hours ago, Prysin said:

well, there is a really fat n angry lady keeping it in place. And you aint going to make her move anytime soon.

unfortunately there is not much choice here either just like your last election :ph34r:

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

21 minutes ago, Napper198 said:

this it what it will boil down to. Of course they can just block the domain on ISP/node provider level or seize the ingest server in Frankfurt if twitch doesn't what they tell them to, but I suspect they are more into making monney here and they will just enforce the law on the actual partners that make money broadcasting.

Going around a possible block via VPN is a given for us tech savvy people but you have to remember that not everyone is willing to deal with just the slightest extra of effort so it will drive more people away from the plattform as you might expect.

unfortunately there is not much choice here either just like your last election :ph34r:

Hasnt been an election in the country i live in recently. Snide remark failed.

55 minutes ago, Napper198 said:

-snip-

not everyone is willing to deal with just the slightest extra of effort so it will drive more people away from the plattform as you might expect.

-snip-

That is an excellent point that I often forget.  Just how little inconvenience it takes to make people go elsewhere.

Slow clap for Germany.  Usually it's up to us Americans to go full-retard but Germany wasn't going to be beat today!

Serious reply: it's the internet.  It's not the same thing as having radio towers and TV channels that are easily accessible with a power button.  You have to go through several layers already to watch a Twitch stream.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)